Hammerite lightweight club special aka 50's Dayton Roadmaster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The stamps that were used on the your frame and that of the Dayton Roadmaster are of the same type and the way in which they are laid out in a jaunty angle are very similar. Are there holes in the head tube ?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
From the look of the paintwork on the bottom bracket it seems that the paint has lost all of it's life and has become brittle and will probably fall off in other areas. Paint stripper would be too harsh if you were trying to see if there are any underlying transfers . The use of solvents would be a more gentle approach especially the seat tube area where there would most likely to be a makers transfer .
As they say " Slowly, slowly catchy Monkey " !

IMG_20180409_101140617.jpg

Well this is the only transfer I have found so far.

IMG_20180409_101143645.jpg

The chrome on the front forks is good just a shame about the paint .

IMG_20180409_101136138.jpg

And with a set of period drops .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The stamps that were used on the your frame and that of the Dayton Roadmaster are of the same type and the way in which they are laid out in a jaunty angle are very similar. Are there holes in the head tube ?

Nothing obvious on the head tube but there is something there , but till i get the hammerite of from that area i cant tell what it is , it might be a badge pin hole that has been brazed up

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just managed a first 3 mile road test on this fine machine this morning .

IMG_20180410_072010091.jpg

Sorted the rather notchy BH Airlite rear hub yesterday by giving it some fresh grease might need re spoking to sort out the weave as I can't move the nipple's.

It actually rode very smoothly all things considering I just picked up random calipers, tyre's and bars from the garage .

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Tried soaking the nipple's in releasing oil but still solid so I guess it's rebuild or use as is :sad:

Will have to give it some thought .

Had a quote for soda / bead blasting frame and forks only £80 almost cheaper to send it away and have it painted .

woodbutcher

Veteran
Tried soaking the nipple's in releasing oil but still solid so I guess it's rebuild or use as is :sad:

Will have to give it some thought .

Had a quote for soda / bead blasting frame and forks only £80 almost cheaper to send it away and have it painted .
I may be weird but l quite like the "rat-rod" look:wacko:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Top Bottom