Hammerite or something better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiwifruit

Über Member
I've bought Leyland trade black. I'm under the impression it can go straight on with no primer as long as the steel is in decent condition?
With the Leyland product or the Johnston's Smooth metal paint https://www.johnstonestrade.com/product/smooth-metal-paint
If is new and unpainted before, I would prime it with red oxide primer or any metal primer. If it is new galvanised steel you will also need to T-wash the steel first before the primer.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I've got a 2011 Dolomite and I have to say the finish is impeccable. That said, I once locked it up next to a Kinesis Race light T2 (year U/K) and the frames were identical in every detail (the forks differed though) so its possible the frames and paint have different origins over the years.

Kinesis also make Felt's frames, so my two road bikes are distant cousins.
The Matt black on dolmite, if you stare hard enough the paint will chip off. Shame because apart from that it's a brilliant bike.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
If you want a proper job that lasts for years then I have two words for you.....surface preparation.
I'll be doing wire brush. Burt Reynolds says there ain't no way he's stripping the old paint off back to bare metal!!

Top Bottom