Hampshire for the day from Cambridgeshire: bike & train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had a day trip down to Hampshire in mind for quite a while, and there's a window for me to do it in a fortnight or so's time. I could always drive, but don't really fancy it, or I could go all public transport, letting the train and bus take the strain. Then there's the combination of bike and train, which I'm thinking seems feasible enough. If it can be made to work, it should certainly be the cheapest and most flexible option. Current plan is to do this on a Saturday, but that may change depending on the weather forecast closer to the time.

I figured, that if I was going to ride to Ely to get the train for the first leg, then I may as well take the bike on the train with me and use it at the other end. Which would negate the need for the expensive and infrequent bus service (from memory - it's been a while since I've been down that way). Means I won't have to clock watch quite so much to make connections if I do the last leg under my own steam.

The obvious route is train to Kings Cross, then get me and bike to Waterloo, then train to Winchester and cycling from there to New Alresford. (And of course, the reverse.)

The things I'm not so sure of that I'm hoping I might be enlightened on...

1) Kings Cross to Waterloo: I'm not the most confident urban cyclist - shanks' pony is my usual method of choice around busy cities when I'm not using public transport. Though from Kings Cross, I understand that I can take the bike on the circle line to Embankment as long as it's outside of peak hours and then just cross the river.

2) Southwest Trains policy on taking bikes. Can I just turn up with the bike for the Waterloo to Winchester service, or will I need to pre-book?

3) Winchester Station to Alresford: definitely want to avoid the A31 if I can. I know there are some bods on CC for whom this is their stomping ground. Would love some advice on the best route to take and how hilly (or not) it is. https://cycle.travel/map seems to show a good cycleway that I can use., and that it's around 9 miles. Must be suitable for a road bike.

If you think I'm barking mad, feel free to tell me. :laugh: Then I'll leave the bike in Ely and rely on the X64 bus at the other end...

Dave 123

Legendary Member
You're barking mad.

I know nothing of your quandary, but you are barking mad.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Once you get off the Euston road and start heading down towards Farringdon then actually it's pretty quiet. Straight down and over blackfriars Bridge, and immediate right on upper ground.to Waterloo. You can wheel it on the first and last bit.

betty swollocks

large member
There you go. Done some of the work for you.....Have a nice trip.
https://www.southwesternrailway.com/travelling-with-us/travelling-with-a-bike

na.png

Last edited:

Broadside

Guru
IIRC SWR restrict bikes to folders only on services leaving Waterloo during evening peak which they class as between 1630-1830hrs. Back in to Waterloo you are restricted on morning peak which is for any trains arriving at Waterloo 0600-0930hrs.

If you haven’t ridden the New Alresford area before then you are in for a treat, it is beautiful especially in to the South Downs around Cheriton and across to Buster Hill near Petersfield if you fancy going some distance.

vickster

Legendary Member
To get to Waterloo by train, get the Thameslink from St Pancras international to Blackfriars and ride down Stamford Street, 5 mins

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I have been summoned!

@Broadside's right to point out the time restrictions, but otherwise you don't need to book and there are plenty of trains, all with bike space. Most guards are pragmatic about the number of bikes allowed.

@betty swollocks blue route map above is (almost) the one to take. You're following NCN 23. From the Winnall M3 roundabout to Alresford the ride is a delight. It's lumpy rather than hilly by Hampshire standards. The road is probably used more by cyclists than drivers and usually it only sees farm and village traffic.

If you don't like riding in traffic then the bit from Winchester station to the Winnall roundabout is not particularly easy. It's too narrow for the traffic it has to deal with, quite steep and really not that much fun. The NCN route takes a wiggle through a housing estate to avoid this, but its not the easiest to follow if you don't know the area. There are alternatives, but none are totally traffic free.

Another option for carrying on the route is to keep on the NCN23 up to Basingstoke. Despite the destination, this is just as lovely as the Winch-Alresford section. It is quite up-and-down though, so consider your hill legs. At Amazingstoke you can get the main line trains back to Waterloo. It's possible to get to Basingstoke station avoiding any busy roads.

It depends on a couple of commitments, but I'm happy to act as guide to at least get you out of Winchester. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:

Will Spin

Über Member
You could catch the train to Petersfield, plenty of good cycling around here, it's a nice ride to New Alresford too. SW trains from Waterloo quite good for bikes, the white and blue trains have bike racks, in sets of three, the blue trains have a bike parking area with securing straps (look for the signs on the doors showing which carriages these are in). As others have said there are often more bikes than rack spaces though, but you can usually get away with leaning your bike in the space near the doors if the bike spaces are full.

vickster

Legendary Member
Or if a person really really doesn't want to cycle in town at all, stay on the Thameslink train and change further down the Brighton line onto a train to Winchester? Could be Clapham Junction, if the train stops there (I can't remember if they do or not).
Don’t think thameslink goes through CLJ

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Wow, thank you *so much* for all the advice, folks. It's a lot to take in, so will go through it more carefully later. Really appreciated though. :hugs: A few things that jump out at me straight off, though:

1) I can get always the Thameslink from Cambridge if I don't fancy changing in London. A slightly longer train journey as opposed to a fiddly, busy walk between Kings Cross and St Pancras - in terms of time, it's much of a muchness. If it's that easy to get from Blackfriars to Waterloo, it's probably a far better option than traipsing on the circle line.

2) Can always walk the bit in / out of Winchester if it's not great for cycling. Thanks for the kind offer @Bollo :hugs: I've normally journeyed to Alresford by bus from Alton in the past (or been given a lift by friends who have since moved away), but as I said earlier, it's been a while. So I may get in touch with a few questions. And arm myself with a good map.

3) Need to take my "hill legs" into account, as the Fens are, well... flat. :blush:

4) 30 miles on the bike is about my max, and 10 of those really need to be reserved for riding to / from Ely station. Some of the other options sound lovely too, but I think I will have to work on hills and fitness first. :whistle: Ones for the future, methinks. :smile:

@Dave 123 - I never said I was sane. :laugh:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I know :smile: I use Kings Cross quite regularly, albeit sans bicycle. But it's the wading through commuters, confused tourists, people queueing for buses...

Much more sedate changing in Cambridge, especially during the day. :smile: In the evening, it's a lot less busy.

vickster

Legendary Member
I know :smile: I use Kings Cross quite regularly, albeit sans bicycle. But it's the wading through commuters, confused tourists, people queueing for buses...

Much more sedate changing in Cambridge, especially during the day. :smile: In the evening, it's a lot less busy.
I’ve never found that a difficult walk with a bike :smile:

Top Bottom