Hampshire for the day from Cambridgeshire: bike & train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Plan!

It'd be a shame to walk out of Winchester along probably its ugliest road. If you're here on a Saturday there's more than a good chance I can act as tour guide out of the city, pass most of the sights (and some lesser known bits) and keep you on traffic-light roads or paths. I'm afraid the inclines aren't going to go away, but the experience and views will certainly be better.

I'm only two minutes ride from the station so it's no hassle. I can always shoot off after the M3 Winnall roundabout if you want to carry on at your own pace. Otherwise, if you're just looking for route advice I can sketch out the route I'd take.

Edit ... sketched route.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/20431207
I live even nearer to the station than Bollo, and his quiet route goes past my house,,, Personally as I have said, I think the direct route across town is fine, but either of us can guide you if free

Bear in mind recent Saturdays have had strikes....

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Thanks @jay clock :hugs:

Will add that to the raft of information I'm accumulating. It's nice to have more than one alternative to consider. :smile: And I'm flattered that both of you are thinking of joining this slow cyclist and motorsport nut doing something she should have done a long time ago.

And I stand corrected about the New Alresford / Alresford thingy. :blush:

GM

Legendary Member
@Reynard If it's any use to you, I could as Ralph McTell would say I could lead you through the streets of London. Well at least Kings X to Waterloo. It's only 3 miles around some back turnings with a little walking across the busy junctions.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Thanks @GM xxx :hugs:

I think I'll get the train from St Pancras to Blackfriars this time round; it's the easiest option for my poor wee brain, as I've a lot to take in as it is. :blush:

P.S. I know central London reasonably well, just not from a cyclist's point of view... :smile: I usually walk most places.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
To get to Waterloo by train, get the Thameslink from St Pancras international to Blackfriars and ride down Stamford Street, 5 mins
I do believe there is now a through service from Cambridge to Blackfriars during the week, 1 train per hour, but weekdays only, if this helps.

If you choose the Avington / Ovington route between Winchester and Alresford, look out for the Aberdeen Angus Bulls. they look all cuddly and cute, but they're not:eek:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
If you choose the Avington / Ovington route between Winchester and Alresford, look out for the Aberdeen Angus Bulls. they look all cuddly and cute, but they're not:eek:

DSC_1610_00016.jpg

Don't worry, they're cows, not bulls, and they're very chilled out. Here's a picture I took earlier.

The land that they graze is Avington Park, which is owned by the county council. I'm sure they wouldn't fancy falling foul of the various laws about keeping dangerous animals in an area with public access.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Cool :biggrin:

Starting to get my head around the "what do I need to take" thing, as it'll be a full and long day. Will definitely need to think about nutrition more closely as I was running on empty riding home from Ely station after my jaunt to Cambridge yesterday, and the distance I'll be riding in total on this trip will be further than I've attempted in a single day before. :blush:

On the upsides, I can :popcorn: and :reading: on the train. :biggrin:

Top Bottom