Hamstring muscle problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Over the last year or so my hamstring muscles have developed quite a bit. That's good for cycling some might say,but when i'm not cycling it's a problem. I can't kneel down fully and i get sudden cramps if i'm sitting standing or lying still, which give excruciating pain. I prefer a low as possible cadence which might have led to the tightened hamstrings? Any advice or suggestions?

Keith Oates

Janner
I have no knowledge to give to your question but I think to move to a lower gear and raise your cadence would be worth a try.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Funnily enough i was watching the substitutes warming up at Accrington's match last night when the latest cramp attack occurred. They went through a routine that seemed to last for ages. I was thinking to myself is all that really necessary, when a short while later my right hamstring went into spasms! I had to stand up and stretch till the pain died down. Very worrying when you are clearly in pain but have to stifle your emotions

U

User6179

I sit at my computer with my feet on the shelf underneath my Computer table stretching my hamstrings , it works well with not much effort .

ayceejay

Guru
Funnily enough i was watching the substitutes warming up at Accrington's match last night when the latest cramp attack occurred. They went through a routine that seemed to last for ages. I was thinking to myself is all that really necessary, when a short while later my right hamstring went into spasms! I had to stand up and stretch till the pain died down. Very worrying when you are clearly in pain but have to stifle your emotions

Now see watching someone else stretch, no matter how buff they are will not help.:tongue:

Any kind of sitting, like office work, bus driving, will shorten the hamstrings as will cycling.Cycling will be particularly bad for hamstrings if you pedal with the style you describe. Active stretching before a ride will help and there is a lot of information online on what this means specifically, if you already have a problem though you need to sort that out before you venture into a change in pedalimg style and stretching.

cycelfitness

You need to stretch several times the day of a ride, straight after a ride, and then later that day. On non ride days stretching should still be done as cycling is a limited rang of movement exercise and shortens your hamstrings, which can lead to injury if not properly stretched out.

Has anyone said stretch :-)

I stretch and roll my hamstrings before I go out and when I get back. Well most of the time. Things have improved so much since I did it regularly that sometimes I forget.

SimonH

Regular
Ive had Bad knee Pain cycling and severe leg cramps usually in bed, i saw a physio who said it was short hamstrings i now. stretch them 3 times a day and Before/after Training and its worked a treat!! But it has aggravated my old back problem.

Top Bottom