Hand Built Wheels Update - £20 per wheel building service to CC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Shaun suggested I posted this here.

I've been thinking about this for a while so here are my thoughts.

Wheelbuilding is my hobby so I have already built quite a few wheels and my technique is strong by now. Roger Musson is the master!

I have only 5 bikes at home and only two needed new wheels so I'm done with that. Two friends are riding wheels built my me at the moment. One set of MTB wheels and another set of road wheels, both happy so far and I expect them to be happy till they need a new rim. Both sets have been ridden in excess of 650 miles, in fact, the road wheelset was over 1600 miles by last Thursday (my friend is only a part time (fair weather) commuter otherwise it would be near 4000 miles by now). I know that1600 miles is not a lot but I expect them to go trouble free till they need a new rim. The wheels I built for myself are going well too, one set is being stacked on 22 miles since the first ride :blush: but the other set has done over 1040 miles without any problems and I'm 16 and half stones.

I have an old set of wheels that I keep rebuilding and testing time and time again, 47 times so far - getting a bit bored with that - the rims are not perfect and the spokes for one of the wheels are a bit short so all that makes it a bit more interesting I guess :smile:

So, my experience so far is 55 wheels under my belt, plus other bit and pieces I've done for friends, not a huge number but what I lack in experience I make up for in time and dedication. I can build a wheel in under 90 minutes, I find that when I try to do it quicker I don't enjoy it as much but I can get close to the 70 minutes mark if I don't drink too much coffee :smile: while I work on the wheel. So, I'm not restricted by time constrains as I'm not doing it for money, simply as a hobby.

Wheelbuilding is not rocket science, in fact, it's not difficult but not everybody has the patience to do it, that's all I have to say about that for now. With so much choice, choosing the right components can potentially be the hard part, where the experience really counts in my view. The knowledge some wheelbuilders have on components blows me away.

So, instead of rebuilding those old wheels time and time again I'm quite happy to build your wheels for free. The only condition that I must insist on is that you don't ask me to build you a low spoke count wheel for a heavy rider. Wheel rebuilding / re-rimming is fine but I will not waste time with rusty spokes or spokes with busted nipples. So if you have a wheel that needs rebuilding, if the spokes are not good then invest in a set of spokes and I'll be happy to rebuild it for you.

I know that I can build very good wheels but at the moment this has to be just a hobby. I don't know how long I will be happy to do this for, all will depend on how this affect the rest of my day. I can't spend all day with my hobby, can I? I also like to ride a bike sometimes :smile:

If you are interested then contact me by PM or post on this thread with details of what you have in mind. I will send you my details but please do not publish them in a post.

For people in my area, Bournemouth, this would be easy, simply a matter of dropping and picking up the wheels but for those further away...mmmm not so sure, I guess if you don't mind paying for postage then it would be possible.

If I brake any new component while building a wheel, I'll pay for it (I don't expect to brake any so no CB rims just yet).

Finally, a piece of advice from an experienced wheelbuilder with regards rebuilding / fixing wheels, there are some factory built wheels that nobody wants to touch so I reserve the right to politely turn you down :smile: - I guess the reason for wheelbuilders avoiding these wheels is the time it takes to fix/rebuild properly. Wheelbuilders have to keep an eye on the time or they go out of business.

I hope to be able to update this thread with information that becomes available to me as I go along.

I have passed this idea by Shaun and he is happy for me to go ahead with it and create the thread.

Like I do with my own wheels, I can make sure that the wheels are built for riding them safely, however, components can potentially fail and I have no control over that, nor does any professional wheelbuilder, hence the disclaimer below.

Disclaimer.
"RRSODL is not responsible for any personal injury occurred while using this wheel or wheel set. These wheel(s) are made or re-built to a requested specification. measures are taken to reduce the likelihood of their failure and advice will be given as to their appropriateness for their intended function. However their integrity is not guaranteed and they are to be used at the owners risk. Regular maintenance is always recommended with any mechanical object particularly if that object's integrity carries a risk to personal safety. In particular, checks for cracks in components, loss of spoke tension, loss of wheel trueness and bearing integrity should be carried out regularly. "
Ricardo

Just to throw something into the mix, would you consider, building some wheels for me with components that you supply and posting to France?. A bit way out there, I know, but I could send a Paypal payment if they were to be a reasonable cost.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
DooDah, I saw the email before I saw this post so I replied the email but I will copy the email here.

"Hi,

Well, this is what I have done in the past:

You and I can put a list of components together then you can purchase the components and have them delivered to my home address.

The shipment can be arranged similarly, get the wheels picked up from my home address and deliverer to you.

If that is OK by you then yes, i can build your wheels."

I have no idea what kind of wheel you have in mind so I cannot guess what the cost would be. However, I'm waiting delivery of the components for the following wheels:
Archetype 700 rims - 24h front and 32h rear
Novatec F171 front hub
Novatec F172 rear hub
Sapin race spokes.

The weight should be about 1672g

Total cost is £186 - 20/06/2013 prices.

You can have something cheaper and most certainly something more expensive.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Just to throw something into the mix, would you consider, building some wheels for me with components that you supply and posting to France?. A bit way out there, I know, but I could send a Paypal payment if they were to be a reasonable cost.

@DooDah, an alternative way to pay for your components, to what I suggested in an earlier post, would be to work out the total cost of components plus shipment and then you make a payment through paypal to my account. You would need to cover the paypal fees, so that we are both covered.

Hi, Sorry I have been flat out all day. I like the sound of your proposal, but it is quite difficult for me to organise things from France, in terms of time etc. I am due back in the UK for a while later in the year, so would you mind if we put things on hold until then? We could maybe make a list of components needed just before I return and I could then get things sorted. I would be coming back to the Andover area, so not too far from you.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I took the day off work to take care of some personal business. After that, I spent some time rebuilding an old wheel for somebody. I felt like taking some pictures so I will share them with you.

IMAG0472.jpg IMAG0473.jpg IMAG0475.jpg IMAG0476.jpg IMAG0477.jpg IMAG0478.jpg

Someone has a wheel that had given up, back in service now ^_^

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
The rims came this morning, I had ordered them in grey but the sent me black. They look great but I still fancy the grey as they would look better on my bike. I might sell the wheels.... I will sleep on it.

10359381404_935621742d_k.jpg

I'm very impressed with the quality and finishing of the rims. These Archetype look very smart indeed.

Today, after work, I built the rear wheel. I couldn't wait till tomorrow Saturday ^_^

10359381444_29b9a7047e_k.jpg

These build so easily, nothing like the set I practice on. Drive side about 130 kfg - non drive side at about 80 kfg. Even tension on both sides.

After some nicely cooked dinner and a bit of catch up on the tennis ^_^ I completed the set.

10359381834_6bd3b8f07b_k.jpg

Smashing set of wheels, even if I say so myself :smile:. I used a tiny bit less tension on the radial lacing on the front wheel to protect the hub's flange. I'm not a lightweight chap :blush: - still these are strong and stiff enough for me at 17 stones.

Total cost was £186.

Last edited:

musa

Über Member
those h son plus archetype are a nice looking rim

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Just out of interest what equipment have you had to shell out for first? Is that a Park tools wheel truing jig ? Also are you using a tension measuring tool? Really keen to start building and repairing my own wheels for myself and the kids.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
those h son plus archetype are a nice looking rim

indeed they are. I'm so pleased with them that I'm considering to build myself another set for my other bike and sell the Ambrosio Evolution I built for that bike.

Just out of interest what equipment have you had to shell out for first? Is that a Park tools wheel truing jig ? Also are you using a tension measuring tool? Really keen to start building and repairing my own wheels for myself and the kids.

Yes, that is a Parks Tools truing stand. I also have a dishing tool,a tension meter, a few spoke wrenches and nipple drivers.

You really need to have a go, it's not difficult but some people just cannot do it. I guess everybody has experienced something that they just cannot do.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I built a set of wheels for a very nice guy but not a CC member, and last Sunday he collected the wheels in person and then we took a 16 miles ride around Bournemouth. I was a bit apprehensive that he would find my wheels inadequate as he's had wheels built by Harry Rowland whom I rate very highly as a wheelbuilder but I soon realised that he was a happy rider.

He sent me an email which I like to share with you here because his appreciation of my work made my day

"Hi Ricardo
Thank you for a great day, and a superb set of wheels. After I left you
I stopped at Burley and cycled 35 miles around the forest over numerous cattle grids and rough roads and. couple of miles of trail out side Lymington. Through out this my wheels have been perfect, feel really smooth, and were perfectly true when I put them back in the car.

I am already really proud of this wheel set and can't wait to tour on them.

Thank you so much for your help in this

kindest regards Colin"

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
This morning @SatNavSaysStraightOn brought me a super duper touring wheel for rebuilding - The strongest touring wheel I ever saw, I believe the hub is 1.5kg by itself :ohmy: which coincidently matches the price tag £1.5k

The lacing is different to anything I've seen before but once I spotted the key spokes the rest fell into place quite nicely. Previous weight training would have helped me to prepare for lacing this hub :laugh:

@SatNavSaysStraightOn is having a ride around Bournemouth..... hopefully she has time to ride in the New Forest

Some pictures:

10343449535_0dfa5f3992_k.jpg

10343611943_503a888bc8_k.jpg

@SatNavSaysStraightOn this wheel can now take you across the world :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I will be building wheels till the end of the year.

My thanks to those who trusted me with their wheels and allowed me have my fun. Time for another hobby I think...... anybody interested in Air Plane Modelling? ^_^

Cheers

Ricardo

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Yesterday @Bodhbh ordered some parts for his new rear wheel and today they arrived, one H plus son Archetype rim in silver, some sapim spokes and a Novatec hub

first-vi.jpg

And this evening I built the wheel :smile: - My 100th build so a landmark for me.

second-vi.jpg

third-vi.jpg

@Bodhbh will pick it up the weekend after this weekend and ride the weel home. :smile:

These Archetype rims do build into lovely wheels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom