Hand Built Wheels Update - £20 per wheel building service to CC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
That looks absolutely great. I can't wait to give it a spin on the new (old) bike. :smile:

It does look great. Even my wife thought so :smile: and she is the type that says "yeah, it's a wheel".

Very strong wheel too so I'm confident you will get lots of miles out of it.

Don't forget to post pictures when the bike is fully built. :smile:

Bodhbh

Guru
Don't forget to post pictures when the bike is fully built. :smile:

With Christmas and some other cash sinks inc, I think it's going to be a bit 'ongoing'. But I'll post once it's at least ridable again - which is hopefully when I pick up the wheel.

I know we set @RRSODL a challenge with this wheel with him never having built a wheel with a geared hub before, so there was lots of technical data having to be looked up (Andora CSS rim with Rohloff hub and non-standard spoke pattern, specific spokes and spokes that could only go in 1 place in a certain orientation due to the Rohloff hub) but he thoroughly researched everything he needed to find out and consulted with another wheel builder to ensure that everything was as it needed to be, so I was more than happy to drop the wheel off with him for it to have a new rim. My OH is one of those people that will say - yep the wheel is round, and true to form he did and providing it stays that way and true he is happy.

Well we are back from a shorter tour than expected and the re-rimed wheel performed faultlessly (unlike me). We have had issues with my OH and his old rear wheel in the past (like 6 broken spokes inside 9,000 miles), so had the rear rebuilt with a new rim (braking surface was wearing out) and were a touch apprehensive at first, but even with 4 panniers and rack pack (my OH taking some of the load off me after I hurt my ankle on the 2nd night out) and him doing his usual "can i?" sprints when he spotted someone (usually a roadie) he could overtake when going uphill (I tried to stop him, honest RRSODL, but its rather like trying to stop a charging bull) and we did a lot of uphill (6,000 meters of climbing & 506km in 7 days of cycling), the wheel performed faultlessly and is still true despite my OH hitting some interesting potholes along the way.
I would happily recommend RRSODL to anyone interested in getting their wheels re-trued/built or in our case rebuilt. Just wish I had taken all of our wheels down when I drove down to see him now! :laugh: I will also point out that the wheel was very quickly rebuilt inside 1/2 a day of me dropping it off, so it was a speedy service as well. Thank you very much RRSODL.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Emma,

You're very welcomed. I'm glad the wheel did its job and sad you had to interrupt the tour. I was following your commentary with enthusiasm. At first as I was so excited about touring but when the rain came and it seemed it was never going away I had to reconsider my initial thoughts :laugh: If I'm honest I don't think I could cope well under those climate conditions. France or Spain touring seems like a better idea by the minute :smile:. I will continue to follow your journey though :smile:

I'm glad you gave me the chance to rebuild an unusual wheel. I enjoyed researching the technical aspect of it. It wasn't a difficult task after that.

Many thanks for your recommendation, much appreciated. My best reward though is to read that your husband has pushed the wheel hard and the wheel can take it.

I hope you make it to Lands End safely.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Last Sunday Sean arrived by train in Bournemouth to collect a rear wheel that I built for his new project.

He decided to ride back to Salisbury and I was only too happy to tag along all the way to Ringwood.

It's always nice to meet a nice person and it's definitely one of the rewards I get for building wheels for people.

I leave you with Sean in Ringwood (short of a coffee before heading home :smile: )

fourth-vi.jpg

I had fun chatting and riding with Sean.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I'm taking an early brake for Christmas and New Year. In the mean time I will reconsider if I want to continue building wheels for forum members in the new year.

To those I gave my word I shall build their wheels when you get your funds together.

Cheers

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
@RRSODL - when you are starting again I'd be interested, although I'd have to post the stuff.

In the meantime, my thanks for what you've done for forum members.

Thanks for your kind post.

I need some time to plan for next year but I'll let you know one way or the other.

Cheers

CafGriff

I'm taking an early brake for Christmas and New Year. In the mean time I will reconsider if I want to continue building wheels for forum members in the new year.

To those I gave my word I shall build their wheels when you get your funds together.

Cheers
Sorry!! I have just reread this entry ... U will build wheels for riders on the Forum ... for free?? :eek: :bicycle: count me in !!!! :cheers: lets start talking!!:hyper:

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Sorry!! I have just reread this entry ... U will build wheels for riders on the Forum ... for free?? :eek: :bicycle: count me in !!!! :cheers: lets start talking!!:hyper:

Yes, I have built a few for members here and other people too, including personal friends too.

I don't ask for any payment, a smile on your face is more than enough for me, having said that I'm yet to make a decision about next year.

I'll let you know one way or the other, but I can't see any problems to fit your wheels and the one above,@DCLane wheels as I have to build for other people I gave my word earlier on.

Cheers

CafGriff

:bicycle: Hopefully, If you have followed my scribbles for the past few months, then you'll gather, like so many other ' nutty cycling bods ' I am hoping to do the most exciting challenge of the LEJoG trip. I have a Ridgeback Montain bike with 26" wheels. I have been 'contemplating' getting newer, stronger wheels, like most peopl I haven't changed my wheels since I first bought the bike, over 15 - 20 years ago. :hyper:
( If I could figure out how to attach pictures to this forum page, I would flash up my stead, but ... that will be for another day.
Lets chat after Christmas - it's a bit busy at the mo down here - I'm not sure how we could meet or where U are situated.
Maybe meeting ' half way to wear you live' could be a possibilty.
Lets stay in touch? :eek:

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
:bicycle: Hopefully, If you have followed my scribbles for the past few months, then you'll gather, like so many other ' nutty cycling bods ' I am hoping to do the most exciting challenge of the LEJoG trip. I have a Ridgeback Montain bike with 26" wheels. I have been 'contemplating' getting newer, stronger wheels, like most peopl I haven't changed my wheels since I first bought the bike, over 15 - 20 years ago. :hyper:
( If I could figure out how to attach pictures to this forum page, I would flash up my stead, but ... that will be for another day.
Lets chat after Christmas - it's a bit busy at the mo down here - I'm not sure how we could meet or where U are situated.
Maybe meeting ' half way to wear you live' could be a possibilty.
Lets stay in touch? :eek:

Hi there,
Check your inbox, I sent you a pm.

Cheers

RIcardo

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Clarification:
I don't think I have said it before but I think it's time now. I don't accept money to buy components. There are two reasons for that, there would always be somebody thinking that I made something out of buying components, either cause I know where to get the best prices or cause I get discounts, neither is true. Also, I don't get any pleasure in hunting / searching for the best deals, not even when I'm buying for myself.

I don't mind advising / helping people put together a list of components, I might also add a link if I know of a good place to buy. The wheel building is free. If you prefer ordering a set of wheels and letting other people find the parts for it, then I'm afraid I cannot help.

Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom