Hand Built Wheels Update - £20 per wheel building service to CC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snapper88

I'm about 16st currently running Alex Rims R7 Series with disc breaks but would like a second pair of wheels of higher quality. A bit about my riding habits. I ride 12miles a day to & from work. Longer rides when I can fit them in.

Keep seeing Zondas recommended but my weight maybe an issue with these. What would you recommend?

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I'm about 16st currently running Alex Rims R7 Series with disc breaks but would like a second pair of wheels of higher quality. A bit about my riding habits. I ride 12miles a day to & from work. Longer rides when I can fit them in.

Keep seeing Zondas recommended but my weight maybe an issue with these. What would you recommend?

I can't say I know much about the Alex Rims R7 series.

Talk to Jowwy about Zondas, I've read that he rates them and he is not exactly a lightweight.

Commuting? Well, pick some Mavic rims that suit your budget 32 double butted spokes Sapim Race or DT Swiss will do. Shimano deodore XT hubs are cheap and reliable for commuting.

You can improve your ride by investing in good tyres and tubes. Do some research on what would suit you best, having your riding style, terrain, etc in mind.

Cheers

Ricardo

cjr61

New to the forum and just read this thread....awesome stuff!

I might be looking for some new budget wheels so will know where to come.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
...... and now a set in red..... red nipples that is, to match a bike or perhaps a face, just kidding ^_^
20140827_122717.jpg
20140827_122738.jpg
20140827_122707.jpg

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
They actually look fantastic and I keep wondering why I didn't use other than silver nipples on mine :scratch:

I haven't seen your bike so I'm looking forward to see that picture :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Fab Foodie Nice hubs!!! Can I ask how much they set you back?
yhm

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Rather than answering individual queries I'd better post here an idea of the cost to build the H Plus Son Archetype in black and red nipples.

The rims cost just under £100.

The 105 hubs + black DT Swiss Competition spokes and **DT Swiss red nipples cost just under £110
** The red nipples add about £10 more to the cost so with plain silver nipples the cost should be £100. Further more, 72 silver spokes instead of black spokes would bring the cost down to £90.

Collection and delivery..... no idea what Dan paid for it but I know it can be as low as £8.

Building cost is £0.00

Total cost is around the £220 and about £210 with plain DT Swiss silver nipples which incidentally is a saving of about £100 if you were to buy from Wiggle today (£315 for a set of Archetype, 105 hubs, black Sapim spokes and silver nipples, normal price is £350 or so they say :smile:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Today I'm building for a local chap a MTB set of wheels which will take me a little bit further away from the 200 mark and closer to the 300. It seems only yesterday that I started but looking at my notes it's been a while already.

Over a year ago I posted here offering to build wheels for forum members for free. Since then I have got to know a bit about some of you, some I've met personally and some I'm yet to meet but I already consider them friends :smile:.

My expectations until now have all been met and more. A smile on somebody's face was all the reward I set out to achieve but I think I've achieved much more than that :smile:, I got to know a little bit about some really nice people whom I keep in touch regularly and conversations are not just about wheels :laugh:.

About a year ago or perhaps more, I posted an email from somebody I built a set of wheels for.

I built a set of wheels for a very nice guy but not a CC member, and last Sunday he collected the wheels in person and then we took a 16 miles ride around Bournemouth. I was a bit apprehensive that he would find my wheels inadequate as he's had wheels built by Harry Rowland whom I rate very highly as a wheelbuilder but I soon realised that he was a happy rider.

He sent me an email which I like to share with you here because his appreciation of my work made my day

"Hi Ricardo
Thank you for a great day, and a superb set of wheels. After I left you
I stopped at Burley and cycled 35 miles around the forest over numerous cattle grids and rough roads and. couple of miles of trail out side Lymington. Through out this my wheels have been perfect, feel really smooth, and were perfectly true when I put them back in the car.

I am already really proud of this wheel set and can't wait to tour on them.

Thank you so much for your help in this

kindest regards Colin"

I've kept in touch with Colin and a couple of months ago he sent me some pictures of his touring holidays. he is very much the person who persuaded me to have a go at touring so I'm off to Paris on an 8 days tour next April :smile:.
I asked Colin how the wheels had performed and this was his report
"
Hi Ricardo

The distance for my Holiday was 900Km with around 200KM of path and hard standing on the Canal Garonne thrown in. My Panniers are around 10 Kg with around 4Kg in bottles and saddle pack. Plus the 92 Kg of Rider.

The Mercian is not my only bike but a conservative estimate of mileage up to the Tour would be 1500 on the new wheels.

I greased the hubs prior to touring and have to admit 105 hubs are slowly winning me over though I still miss the noise of my other Hope Hubs. The wheels themselves are as true as when I left you in Bournemouth.

Up till leaving on this tour I had a lot of health problems and missed a couple of months of riding, this made it all the more special to be able to complete the tour.

I think you would love this type of touring with CTC as it's a great to have the support of experienced tourists oh and lovely Hotels this year and well set routes with riders of different abilities together. A really great group this year, It's a real wrench to break up after ten days together.

Best Wishes Colin"

I'm glad that I built Colin the wheels, he really is a genuinely nice guy..... and like him, there are many here too, just this week I got a box through the post which I thought would be some hubs but they were too heavy for that, they were some really nice cyclist special bottles of beer from Paul and a thank you card, I wasn't expecting it but it was a nice surprise..... or Jason who built a wheel jig for me, he offered to post many months ago but I want to meet the man in person because I think he has a wicket sense of humour ^_^.

Anyway, just feeling a bit emotional today but I think people should do more to help each other and not expect compensation.

Cheers

Ricardo

razer17

Well, I have now fitted my lovely new wheels to my bike. Took me a while, and took two trips to the bike shop, first to get rim tape and a cassette tool, and then another because I forgot to get a chain whip. Strangely, the rear quick release skewer didn't fit on my bike, so I used the one from my old wheels, which was a bit longer. Now I just have a slight issue with my rear brake, since the rim is wider than my old one. Guessing I just need to adjust the brakes and it's good to go.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Well, I have now fitted my lovely new wheels to my bike. Took me a while, and took two trips to the bike shop, first to get rim tape and a cassette tool, and then another because I forgot to get a chain whip. Strangely, the rear quick release skewer didn't fit on my bike, so I used the one from my old wheels, which was a bit longer. Now I just have a slight issue with my rear brake, since the rim is wider than my old one. Guessing I just need to adjust the brakes and it's good to go.
Hi,
You don't need a chain whip tool to fit a cassette, only to remove it.

Very odd the skewer doesn't fit, never seen that before. You can try to get a replacement.

You are right, you need to adjust the brakes. Leave 1 or 2 mm gap each side and enough cable to meet your preference.

Plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom