Hand Built Wheels Update - £20 per wheel building service to CC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razer17

Hi,
You don't need a chain whip tool to fit a cassette, only to remove it.

Very odd the skewer doesn't fit, never seen that before. You can try to get a replacement.

You are right, you need to adjust the brakes. Leave 1 or 2 mm gap each side and enough cable to meet your preference.

Plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do it.

Well, true, I did only need it to take the cassette off, either way I had to take a second trip to the bike shop to get one, which was a little annoying. As for the skewer, it was odd. It fits, but the shape of the lever means I can't lock it in the direction I'd like. Not really an issue since I had one anyway. But I can adjust the brakes tomorrow morning and take the wheels for a spin. The red nipples look great whilst the wheel is spinning, too.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I'm glad you had another skewer but I can't understand why you are having problems to lock the new skewer.
Hope it's a nice day tomorrow when you take the new wheels for a spin. I always find it is a great feeling taking anything new on the bike for a spin :smile:.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Well, true, I did only need it to take the cassette off, either way I had to take a second trip to the bike shop to get one, which was a little annoying. As for the skewer, it was odd. It fits, but the shape of the lever means I can't lock it in the direction I'd like. Not really an issue since I had one anyway. But I can adjust the brakes tomorrow morning and take the wheels for a spin. The red nipples look great whilst the wheel is spinning, too.

Agree about the coloured nipples looking good whilst the wheel is spinning :thumbsup: I do love a bit of bling :becool:
Think the Archetype rims must be a little wider than some others, as I found it tight.I fit some new brake pads at the same time as the wheels & clearance was minimal on mine too.

@RRSODL you are a true gent & help make Cycle Chat the friendly place it is. I've done a few favours for people on here, sending various bits out but tend to feel a bit guilty when receiving a favour :blush:

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Agree about the coloured nipples looking good whilst the wheel is spinning :thumbsup: I do love a bit of bling :becool:
Think the Archetype rims must be a little wider than some others, as I found it tight.I fit some new brake pads at the same time as the wheels & clearance was minimal on mine too.

@RRSODL you are a true gent & help make Cycle Chat the friendly place it is. I've done a few favours for people on here, sending various bits out but tend to feel a bit guilty when receiving a favour :blush:
You are making me :blush: now :laugh:.

Yes, the archetype is 23mm wide while most other clincher rims are about 19mm.

razer17

Well, I finally got round to getting a picture of the wheels on my bike. Can't see the red nipples too well, maybe the lighting wasn't great for it. Took the bike to work yesterday after sorting out a couple of bits, wheels still true when my old ones probably wouldn't by now.

DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0001.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 101

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well, I finally got round to getting a picture of the wheels on my bike. Can't see the red nipples too well, maybe the lighting wasn't great for it. Took the bike to work yesterday after sorting out a couple of bits, wheels still true when my old ones probably wouldn't by now.

View attachment 55321 View attachment 55330
Look fab!

How do they ride?
Just purchased Vittoria Open Pave tyres in 27c for my Archetypes ... cant wait to get it all together on the new bike and test-ride!

razer17

Look fab!

How do they ride?
Just purchased Vittoria Open Pave tyres in 27c for my Archetypes ... cant wait to get it all together on the new bike and test-ride!

The ride really well. Haven't had any issue with them. Probably about the same weight as my old wheels, too, despite larger rims and a higher spoke count. I'll use them to do the commute to work this week and see how they fare after those awful roads all week, but early indications are good.

razer17

Well, final update on the wheels. Done quite a few miles on them now and they are still true. Did 25 miles this morning, including a stretch of road that put Roubaix to shame. Though that could be an exaggeration.

Anyway, thanks for the great wheels, RRSODL, I look forward to putting many more miles on them.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Well, final update on the wheels. Done quite a few miles on them now and they are still true. Did 25 miles this morning, including a stretch of road that put Roubaix to shame. Though that could be an exaggeration.

Anyway, thanks for the great wheels, RRSODL, I look forward to putting many more miles on them.

Pleasure.

The mileage you have put on those wheels so far is not really a great deal, however, I'm interested in your experience with the wheels because of your weight and the terrain you ride them so, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you for your feedback on the wheels from time to time.

Best wishes

Ricardo

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I do like the look of the silver Archetypes :becool:, can see another pair for me soon :thumbsup: If I ever get my Genesis bike back & sorted :blush:

Yes, Fab Foodie definitely has good taste because the wheels do look fabulous. Not sure you'd want to pay the price tag on them though, you could get two sets like the ones I built for you and take your wife for a nice dinner and leave a generous tip :laugh:

I've built a few Archetype wheels in silver and I don't know why they have so much debris. With the oil that I use I find that the debris sticks to the fingers.

After looking at those pictures I had time to think about them while riding this morning. I guess I'm a bit boring but I settled for a set all in silver but with 28R and 24F Dura-Ace hubs when I achieve my target of 80kgs so hopefully before next summer :smile:.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yes, Fab Foodie definitely has good taste because the wheels do look fabulous. Not sure you'd want to pay the price tag on them though, you could get two sets like the ones I built for you and take your wife for a nice dinner and leave a generous tip :laugh:

I've built a few Archetype wheels in silver and I don't know why they have so much debris. With the oil that I use I find that the debris sticks to the fingers.

After looking at those pictures I had time to think about them while riding this morning. I guess I'm a bit boring but I settled for a set all in silver but with 28R and 24F Dura-Ace hubs when I achieve my target of 80kgs so hopefully before next summer :smile:.
Fortunately cost wasn't a factor in this build (and neither was weight)!
The brief was 23mm rims for 28c sections tyres, Dynohub, VERY shiny and most of all tough, durable and as fixable in the field as possible. I reckon I got there :-)
I have a set of very lightweight aero section low spoke count set of wheels (Reynolds Alta-Race) and needed something Wintery/Audaxy. Mrs FF is well looked after :whistle:

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Fortunately cost wasn't a factor in this build (and neither was weight)!
The brief was 23mm rims for 28c sections tyres, Dynohub, VERY shiny and most of all tough, durable and as fixable in the field as possible. I reckon I got there :-)
I have a set of very lightweight aero section low spoke count set of wheels (Reynolds Alta-Race) and needed something Wintery/Audaxy. Mrs FF is well looked after :whistle:
I agree, I think you got it spot on. I'd love to have something nice with Royce hubs, where cost is not important.... I just have to keep playing the lottery numbers for now ^_^

Top Bottom