Hand Built Wheels Update - £20 per wheel building service to CC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
@User28511 and @Soltydog I just noticed but you both have the front wheel the wrong way around "H Plus Son" should read from the drive side :smile:

Having them the way you have them now, you run the risk of them bursting into flame :rolleyes:

just so you can rest easy, whilst re-greasing the front hub the other day, I also re-fit the tyre the other way round, so both logos will now face the same way ^_^:okay:

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
They do look nice. I'll be getting some grey rims myself.

I knew you were a high mileage commuter and in all weather conditions. I also knew about some frustrating times with wheels in the last 18 months IRC. With that in mind, I built these wheels with lots of love, care and skill and I hope your commute is now more enjoyable.

I'm aware that you also have a set of hand built wheels by a well known builder, although not on your commuting bike, nevertheless, I believe these wheels have nothing that one could say they are inferior, only time will tell but I'm confident ;) you will get some very good use out of them.

Hope you get well soon and start building up the mileage again :smile:

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
It seems that @Soltydog is having seconds ^_^

Miche Primato Hubs 36R and 32F
H Plus Son Archetype rims
DT Swiss spokes

20150225_161452-1.jpg
20150225_161345.jpg
20150225_161219.jpg
20150225_161009.jpg

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It seems that @Soltydog is having seconds ^_^

Michu Primato Hubs 36R and 32F
H Plus Son Archetype rims
DT Swiss spokes

oooooooooooooo I wish you could see my smile right now ^_^ I am so sad that I'm so excited by the sight of those, they look bloody gorgeous :blush:
Whilst I was out riding today I thought to myself that it won't be long before the best bike is out again & with the new wheels it might be even sooner :okay:
Many thanks

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
oooooooooooooo I wish you could see my smile right now ^_^ I am so sad that I'm so excited by the sight of those, they look bloody gorgeous :blush:
Whilst I was out riding today I thought to myself that it won't be long before the best bike is out again & with the new wheels it might be even sooner :okay:
Many thanks

They turned out very nice.

You are going to be pleased with the hubs too. You are already familiar with the rims but the hubs are very smooth and I'm sure you are going to like them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some nice wheels you are making there......great job.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Some nice wheels you are making there......great job.

Yes, the wheels turned out very nice, thank you, but @Soltydog must take the credit for that as he picked all the components. The same goes for @w00hoo_kent, he had his reasons to pick a Hope 2 set of hubs, which incidentally are really good hubs but too noisy for my taste :smile:. I make suggestions but the decision is not down to me, unless I feel the chosen components would not make a good wheel for the intended purpose, that has never happened but if it did I could not build the wheels :smile:

I'm more interested in building good and reliable wheels to be honest. My ego gets a much bigger boost if somebody tells me "the wheels are so good" than "the wheels look amazing" ^_^

I keep a special interest in @Soltydog wheels and @w00hoo_kent wheels for similar reasons, Paul is not a lightweight but also he is a powerful rider so if he does well then the wheels are up to it and that is music to my ears ^_^. Mik is not a lightweight either and he does some serious commuting in all weathers, besides he has managed to make a mess of two sets of wheels in the past 18 months :laugh: so if he does well on my wheels then I'm a very happy bunny ^_^

I'm not a lightweight either but I don't have the power of Paul nor I do the commuting that Mik does everyday. A lightweight is somebody like @Cuchilo - Jason is about 41kg fully clothed and with the bike on his shoulders :laugh:

I've built quite a few wheels but it seems that Paul and Mik are the only people that are really going to push the wheels to their limit :smile: so, good luck to them and I can only wish them, keep pushing hard ^_^

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Hope hubs.. gagagaga..
Love Hope stuff, awesome company, awesome people.. but please.. for the love of God make quieter hubs.
They are doing their job though, I rarely coast in normal riding so they don't get on my nerves (plus they don't seem to intrude over the headphones, must be a frequency thing) but they have already caused a couple of people to recognise my presence on shared paths and they don't seem to be antagonising the pedestrians when they do it. They are just loud enough that as I coast up behind someone they are heard before I'd be comfortable shouting out an 'excuse me' especially as I tend to wait a bit before asking to be let past. They do click away to themselves sometimes when the bike is in the back of the car, but again, I don't hate that.

Slowly working back up to distance, I've put 120 miles on them so far.

Top Bottom