1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hand Built Wheels Update - £20 per wheel building service to CC members

Discussion in 'Shopping, Services, Offers and Reviews' started by Spoked Wheels, 18 Jun 2013.

1. outlash

outlash also available in orange

@Spoked Wheels , Purely out of curiosity, would you entertain the idea of building a rear wheel with an Alfine hub?

2. OP
    OP
    Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels Guru

Yes, no problem.

Ricardo

3. outlash

outlash also available in orange

Thanks :smile:, I may be looking at alternative wheels for my Day One and not everyone want to use Alfines.

Tony.

4. razer17

razer17 Active Member

Nah, no cause for concern. If anything the rear brake and bottom bracket could use a look at.

It was more a joke about taking them to Halfords, given their rep.

5. OP
    OP
    Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels Guru

Oh I see ^_^

6. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

Missed opportunity there for a massive wind-up at @Spoked Wheels expense. :laugh:

"Halfords mechanic said they were well out of true, but don't worry mate, he sorted them out for me..."

Soltydog likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels Guru

That would have got me very upset. I'll be on the look out from now on :smile:

winjim likes this.
  8. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

I wonder what it would take to bust a wheel built my @Spoked Wheels ? My first set have probably done close to 1.5k miles through the winter, so not the best of riding conditions & carrying my weight (now down to 16.5st) & his workmanship has stood up to the test really well, but I suppose everything has its limits & breaking points. Hopefully I wont ever find out ^_^

9. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

Got my 2nd set of wheels last week & been out for a few short rides on my 'best' bike. With the new wheels the bike is much stiffer & more responsive, but remains comfortable too. Might get out for a longer ride next week & check comfort levels on a longer ride, but I've probably done about 75 miles on these so far & love them. The bike looks so much better, very stealth :becool: so think that gives a physiological boost.
    Been out for a quick spin today & it was my first circular ride with an average speed of over 20mph ^_^ https://www.strava.com/activities/269583727

Thank you very much @Spoked Wheels your a true gent :okay: :cheers:

Attached Files:

Spoked Wheels likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels Guru

Good to hear you are taking your summer baby out for a bit of fresh air :laugh:

The wheels look good. Are you running 25c tyres?

I'm glad you liked the wheels. They are strong wheels..... just what the doctor ordered :smile:.

20mph average.... the electric motor I inserted in the hub is working properly I think :whistle:

Comfort levels? Lower the tyre preasure or use fatter tyre ^_^

Last edited: 17 Mar 2015
    Soltydog likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels Guru

Now, time for something a little more classic for @CRVFR

Mavic Open Pro
    Camapnolo Record hubs
    DT Swiss Competition spokes.

Lovely wheels.... I want some for myself ^_^

20150317_145352.jpg 20150317_145312.jpg 20150317_145335.jpg 20150317_145320.jpg 20150317_145211.jpg 20150317_145157.jpg

dan_bo and Soltydog like this.
  12. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

23mm Bontrager hardcase tyres, about same width as the rim :okay:
    Currently running tyres at about 90psi with Vittoria latex tubes http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-latex-inner-tube/ but they don't hold the air as well as other latex tubes I've used, lose about 20psi over a day or 2 :blush: but they are cheaper :laugh:
    The comfort levels are fine at the moment, nothing to worry about, but I've not done a decent length ride yet, so I'll report back once I have. probably get a bike fit during Easter break so that should help too, as I still haven't got the bike quite right yet. I reckon I'll need a new stem, but I'll see what they recommend on the bike fit, as on my tourer I think I tried 3 or 4 stems, before I got it right, I was way out with a couple :sad:

13. OP
    OP
    Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels Guru

What I meant to say was that I can't control the camfort level. I build for durability and strength / stiffness. If somebody thinks that can affect the comfort by tensioning a bunch of spokes then I'd love to learn that too :smile:

Last edited: 17 Mar 2015
  14. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

Durability & strength is fine by me ^_^ My old RD-60 wheels probably offer more comfort, but would I feel comfortable riding all day on them? Not now :okay: I have absolutely no fears when doing a ton ride on your wheels, in fact the wheels can probably cope with more miles a day than me :laugh:

Spoked Wheels likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels Guru

Well, I can understand that, I would hate to have a wheel breakdown far from home.

Wheels are to be ridden. ... not point in keeping them in the garage to admire :smile: go on, ride them to ground then I build you another set :smile:

Soltydog likes this.