Hand Built Wheels Update - £20 per wheel building service to CC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
@Spoked Wheels , Purely out of curiosity, would you entertain the idea of building a rear wheel with an Alfine hub?

Yes, no problem.

Ricardo

razer17

They would be fine, did you notice anything that might give you cause for concern?

Follow the advice I gave you and have a little faith. There's no need to report every time you are getting your bike serviced ;)
Nah, no cause for concern. If anything the rear brake and bottom bracket could use a look at.

It was more a joke about taking them to Halfords, given their rep.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I wonder what it would take to bust a wheel built my @Spoked Wheels ? My first set have probably done close to 1.5k miles through the winter, so not the best of riding conditions & carrying my weight (now down to 16.5st) & his workmanship has stood up to the test really well, but I suppose everything has its limits & breaking points. Hopefully I wont ever find out ^_^

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got my 2nd set of wheels last week & been out for a few short rides on my 'best' bike. With the new wheels the bike is much stiffer & more responsive, but remains comfortable too. Might get out for a longer ride next week & check comfort levels on a longer ride, but I've probably done about 75 miles on these so far & love them. The bike looks so much better, very stealth :becool: so think that gives a physiological boost.
Been out for a quick spin today & it was my first circular ride with an average speed of over 20mph ^_^ https://www.strava.com/activities/269583727

Thank you very much @Spoked Wheels your a true gent :okay: :cheers:

Attachments

• DSCF1106.JPG
    DSCF1106.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF1107.JPG
    DSCF1107.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Got my 2nd set of wheels last week & been out for a few short rides on my 'best' bike. With the new wheels the bike is much stiffer & more responsive, but remains comfortable too. Might get out for a longer ride next week & check comfort levels on a longer ride, but I've probably done about 75 miles on these so far & love them. The bike looks so much better, very stealth :becool: so think that gives a physiological boost.
Been out for a quick spin today & it was my first circular ride with an average speed of over 20mph ^_^ https://www.strava.com/activities/269583727

Thank you very much @Spoked Wheels your a true gent :okay: :cheers:

Good to hear you are taking your summer baby out for a bit of fresh air :laugh:

The wheels look good. Are you running 25c tyres?

I'm glad you liked the wheels. They are strong wheels..... just what the doctor ordered :smile:.

20mph average.... the electric motor I inserted in the hub is working properly I think :whistle:

Comfort levels? Lower the tyre preasure or use fatter tyre ^_^

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Good to hear you are taking your summer baby out for a bit of fresh air :laugh:

The wheels look good. Are you running 25c tyres?

Comfort levels? Lower the tyre preasure or use fatter tyre ^_^

23mm Bontrager hardcase tyres, about same width as the rim :okay:
Currently running tyres at about 90psi with Vittoria latex tubes http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-latex-inner-tube/ but they don't hold the air as well as other latex tubes I've used, lose about 20psi over a day or 2 :blush: but they are cheaper :laugh:
The comfort levels are fine at the moment, nothing to worry about, but I've not done a decent length ride yet, so I'll report back once I have. probably get a bike fit during Easter break so that should help too, as I still haven't got the bike quite right yet. I reckon I'll need a new stem, but I'll see what they recommend on the bike fit, as on my tourer I think I tried 3 or 4 stems, before I got it right, I was way out with a couple :sad:

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
23mm Bontrager hardcase tyres, about same width as the rim :okay:
Currently running tyres at about 90psi with Vittoria latex tubes http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-latex-inner-tube/ but they don't hold the air as well as other latex tubes I've used, lose about 20psi over a day or 2 :blush: but they are cheaper :laugh:
The comfort levels are fine at the moment, nothing to worry about, but I've not done a decent length ride yet, so I'll report back once I have. probably get a bike fit during Easter break so that should help too, as I still haven't got the bike quite right yet. I reckon I'll need a new stem, but I'll see what they recommend on the bike fit, as on my tourer I think I tried 3 or 4 stems, before I got it right, I was way out with a couple :sad:

What I meant to say was that I can't control the camfort level. I build for durability and strength / stiffness. If somebody thinks that can affect the comfort by tensioning a bunch of spokes then I'd love to learn that too :smile:

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
What I meant to say was that I can't control the camfort level. I build for durability and strength. If somebody thinks that can affect the comfort by tensioning a bunch of spokes then I'd love to learn that too :smile:
Durability & strength is fine by me ^_^ My old RD-60 wheels probably offer more comfort, but would I feel comfortable riding all day on them? Not now :okay: I have absolutely no fears when doing a ton ride on your wheels, in fact the wheels can probably cope with more miles a day than me :laugh:

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Durability & strength is fine by me ^_^ My old RD-60 wheels probably offer more comfort, but would I feel comfortable riding all day on them? Not now :okay: I have absolutely no fears when doing a ton ride on your wheels, in fact the wheels can probably cope with more miles a day than me :laugh:

Well, I can understand that, I would hate to have a wheel breakdown far from home.

Wheels are to be ridden. ... not point in keeping them in the garage to admire :smile: go on, ride them to ground then I build you another set :smile:

Top Bottom