Hand Built Wheels Update - £20 per wheel building service to CC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I'm terribly sad :sad:.

I PM one of our members to enquiry how he got on with his new wheels. He had said he was going to try them out over ester. I just got a reply from his son whom I met whe he collected the wheels, to tell me his dad died in a motorbike accident last Monday.

I feel so sad for him and his family.
RIP Charles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Yes, his user name was CRVFR....... I still cannot believe it.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
My first set of Hplus wheels weigh in at 883g for the front & 1078g for the rear, that's with 36 spokes each & 105 hubs. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/w...ving-your-wheels-built-for-free.133384/page-3 They are probably not the lightest ever, but they feel really good to ride on & certainly haven't slowed me at all :okay:

Hubs and front spokes are the two places to save weight. The hubs alone are 500g. Thinner spokes would save some weight too.

But as you say, it's all about the legs :smile:

I can't remember exactly but your second set should be a bit more than 1700g which is good for a tough set of wheels. The hubs aren't the lightest either.

AllanC

Regular
I just joined this group a couple of days ago. Just wondering if you are still wheel building?
I have a pair of Mavic CXP 22's fitted to one of my bikes that could do with a little TLC from a wheel builder.

If you are still doing wheel building and you would consider these let me know and we can discuss the logistics.

Thanks

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I just joined this group a couple of days ago. Just wondering if you are still wheel building?
I have a pair of Mavic CXP 22's fitted to one of my bikes that could do with a little TLC from a wheel builder.

If you are still doing wheel building and you would consider these let me know and we can discuss the logistics.

Thanks

I think you missed a couple of posts wirh the relative information.

One is about new members don't qualify for the free service or we could potentially have people joining just for a freebie.

Two: I don't do rebuilds for free unless they are wheels I built myself in the first place.

Cheers

Ricardo

AllanC

Regular
I think you missed a couple of posts wirh the relative information.

One is about new members don't qualify for the free service or we could potentially have people joining just for a freebie.

Two: I don't do rebuilds for free unless they are wheels I built myself in the first place.

Cheers

Ricardo
No worries thanks

ozboz

Guru
Hi , Are you still building wheels ?
I have a 1928 frame and looking to get a set that will fit in with my overall refurbish , I regularly search the web for photos old ad's etc to find wich style of hubs etc I will need , it will be a single speed , ok then , Hope you can help

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hi ozboz,

Yes, I still build wheels. I'm afraid you don't qualify for a free building service but you still qualify for a 25% discount.

I'd imagine the dropouts on that frame are 120mm?

I don't know what type of restoration you are trying to achieve but I'm sure you have a good idea what hubs you would like to use.

I guess you are looking for silver hubs and silver rims.

PM me, if you are interested, what ideas you have in mind.

ozboz

Guru
Hi , thanks for reply, the frame is in the paint shop , but from memory I think the drop outs are 4/12 " and yep ! Shiny spokes , wheels ,white wall tyres the lot !! I'll be in touch , my main purpose for this project is to have a London riding bike , so will be looking to have it completed by May or so , Cheers

I'm amazed not more CCers are taking you up on your generous offer. The results sound fantastic.

Having crashed thru one of the council's better potholes the other night, suffering instant double punctures in both front and rear tyres and noticing a bent rim on the rear when I returned home, I'm in the market for a new set for wheels for my road bike. What info do you require from me to start the process?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Just chiming in after having had two sets of wheels built by the OP. Both of which are still running just perfectly. The first set which are the H Plus Son set are still going strong after almost a year of commuting & the odd 20mile rougher towpath meander during past warmer months.

My second set was a DT Swiss RR440 set for my newly purchased carbon bike earlier in the year which proved for an excellent all round ride during the Dunwich Dynamo, I was slightly worried about the gravelly sections of the ride but I pretty much floated across them like a butterfly. I did pass a few cyclists who had broken spokes along the way but fortunately I never suffered the same fate.

I said id only use my carbon for weekend rides & special outings like the DD but Ive put in plenty of week day commutes on it because the bike itself is such a pleasure to ride.

great sets of wheels built to order.

Top Bottom