Hand Built Wheels Update - £20 per wheel building service to CC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
A Christmas present for somebody :smile:

These are for a 24 miles commute, all year round, in sunny London.

The lucky owner has gone through 2 sets of wheels before he contacted me. I'm confident these would put an end to the spoke breaking problem.

He also has a set of wheels by DCR that he uses on another bike. I'm quite excited about the comparison and they are similar spec too :smile: so Mik, just be honest..... I'm a big boy and I can take whatever you have to say :smile:

These are:
H Plus Son, Archetype in grey
Evo pro2 Hope hubs 36H rear and 32H front.
DT Swiss Competion and brass nipples throughout.

No too sure about the total cost but I'm guessing that it is under £300.

Sorry about the pictures, I'll get some better...... :smile:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mik.

20141220_123504.jpg
20141223_163444.jpg
20141223_163203.jpg
20141223_163212.jpg

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Thanks for doing this, stunning work.

A bit over £300 I think, I got a very competitive price on the hubs, but they still weren't cheap (or more accurately anything like as inexpensive as the Novatec's would gave been). A note for future buyers, 36h + disc, not a popular hub choice among suppliers, just after I'd ordered the rims was the wrong time to find that out :-)

Really looking forward to picking these up and not having to worry about that ping of a snapping spoke thanks to the mix of road surfaces I end up on. They look great, will add a picture when they are on the Sirrus. And comment on if the tick tick tick of Hope hubs make my shared path portions easier to do.

Venod

Eh up
Nice wheels, @w00hoo_kent your right about the Novatech hubs, I built a pair of road wheels with the H Plus Son, Archetype's for well under £200, I have just built some MTB wheels with Stans Crest rims I was intending to use Hope hubs but it was a bit of a budget build so settled on some reduced XTR hubs, front from Planet X and believe it or not the rear from Halfords (cheapest by far)

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
They do look very nice.
Great job @Spoked Wheels
Cheers Ian. I'm sold on the grey Archetype too I think they would look great on my VN :smile: I've got myself a set of Dura Ace hubs at a give away price from the states, I wish I got another set but by the time I reacted they were all gone. I'll get a set of grey Archetype to go with the hubs. I'm going 28 spokes at the back so even more incentive to loose more weight but hopefully I'll be light enough by the summer :smile:

I'm not a fun of Hope hubs, too noisy for me but I have at least 2 or possibly 3 sets to build with Hope hubs in the next month or so. Lots of people seem to like them......

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As much as I like Hope products and the company in general, I can do without their hubs. Far too LOUD! I do like quiet hubs. Even the Novatech hubs are too loud for me and they are on the quieter side.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
A note to clarify who is entitled to a free wheel build. I hope @Shaun has no issues with this :smile:

Last year a couple of forum members, with very few posts to their names, asked for free builds and then never came back to the forum. That was never my intention when I started this service so I'm introducing a new guideline.
I will build wheels for free for regular members only. To qualify you would need 500 posts or more or I can see in your profile that you have been a member for at least a year and have 200 posts.

I hope that helps to clarify things.

Ricardo

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
An update on the wheels that Ricardo built for me;
I've had them since July last year & now done well in excess of 1000 miles, probably close to 2k, & I've done almost 500 this month alone on them. They have been ridden in all weathers & conditions & have performed faultlessly, as you can see from the pic below they have been through some poor roads. I did consider using my old wheels through winter, but as I have a new bike for summer/nice weather use I've kept the wheels on. My old wheels were FSA RD60 & coped quite well with my riding, but after less than 2k needed a little tweek to true them back up, but the new wheels do ride a lot better, there seems to be less flex & the ride is a little stiffer, but nicer.
At 17 stone I'm not the lightest so opted for 36 spokes front & rear to make them as reliable as possible & they have proved to be very strong. I try to avoid potholes, but do occasionally catch one, but the wheels have stayed straight & true & hopefully will for another few thousand miles :smile:
A lot of people go for lower spoke counts to reduce weight & increase speed, but with these wheels my speed seems to have increased. But as a club mate says, I have legs like tree trunks, so there's a lot of power there (honest :laugh:) & these wheels certainly seem to help with the power transfer & I have more confidence in these wheels than any other I have ridden on. A couple of strava KOMs show that these wheels aren't slowing me down https://www.strava.com/segments/8516257 https://www.strava.com/segments/4429768
I can't remember the exact cost of all components, but it was money well spent & I'd certainly use Ricardo's services again when I want some new wheels (which might not be too far away^_^)
full?d=1422288465.jpg

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Paul, thanks for your update. You are too kind.

I'm jealous of the miles you are doing lately :smile: I'm impressed.

I'm concerned you are experiencing some flex I must admit I wasn't expecting that, having said that, I didn't know you were so powerful. I have experienced a little flex myself on my Archetypes when climbing off the saddle but I only have 24 spokes on the front wheel and I was heavier than you, 18.5 stones at the time. On other wheels with 32 spokes I have not noticed any flex but I'm not as powerful as you, by a long way :smile:. Looking at my notes, the wheels were very stiff, perhaps triple butted spokes might have given you even less flexing, not sure your hubs would take triple butted spokes though.

I'm glad you are using the wheels in all conditions, I'm confident they are not going to let you down so hopefully you do a few thousands miles before the summer when I hope to have had built you the wheels for your new bike ;)

I thought you had better wheels than the FSA RD60 to compare...... must be that the wheels I built don't compare favorably with others you don't mention :laugh:. Go on, let us know, I can learn from any criticism.

The cost was £210 If my memory serves me right.

Thank you Paul for the kind words,

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Regarding the flex, it is minimal & may not be the wheels. I only feel a little 'flexing' when up out of the saddle going for it. It may be a little frame flex, or even the tyres as I'm running at a slightly lower pressure. Under normal riding there's none at all & thats 99% of the time ^_^
I'm not doing many high mileage rides at the moment, just done one ton ride & rest of the time just getting out for short rides, but getting out every day & the total is adding up :smile: Reckon I'll have my 5k mileage target smashed before end of the year at my current rate.
Cheers
Paul

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Upthread was a picture of the wheels @Spoked Wheels built for me. Here is a picture of them on the bike about to do yet another soggy commute. Loving the way they sit with the colourscheme of the bike making it all less black but still fitting in and like to think the silver spokes will glisten in the sun if we ever get one. I've barely put any miles on them at all so far, but have no doubt they will outlast the bike. Fantastic things.

66072_original.jpg

Attachments

• 66072_original.jpg
    66072_original.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom