Hand Built Wheels Update - £20 per wheel building service to CC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Have I got it the right way up ? ^_^

001_zpsf611496c.jpg

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Wow I'm impressed. You know, that looks great.
It's amazing what a few tools and some good skills can achieve.... simply wonderful things.

You have really lift me up..... I was diagnosed with diabetes this morning so I've been feeling sorry for myself that I'm going to miss out on so many wonderful cakes :smile:

I'm hugely in debt to you.

How is the cycling going? Knees keeping up :smile: ?

RIcardo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Oh , sorry to hear that mate !
Do you want me to glue it all up or leave it as it is so it can be flat packed ? If I glue it up I can maybe tweak the angles although I think I am only 0.4 of a degree out on them . Not bad seeing as I couldn't find my protractors so had to use a kiddies one from the pound shop :laugh:
Also id like to do the base in oak veneered mdf so it stays flat . Solid timber will cup over time and make the whole thing useless . But its up to you ?
The cycling is great and the knees are doing fine now . I think I over did it before and wasn't resting long enough for anything to repair .

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Not to worry, life brings these bad news from time to time :-)

Go ahead and glue it all up. I'm hoping to collecting it in person at some point. I'll give you enough warning when I can visit you and talk bikes :-)

I'm not sure about solid timber or MDF. If I can get 5 years out of it with solid timber then that would be perfect otherwise MDF.

The pound shop, you never know all the things one can find there :smile:

If you are increasing the distance or the pace you have to allow enough time to rest. I went through something similar years ago. Once the old body gets used to then you are fine.

I'm looking forward to see your new bike :smile:

Keith Oates

Janner
@RRSODL - I've only just come accros this thread and have really enjoyed reading it as well as learning some things about wheel building (which I've never done). Unfortunately I'm currently working in China but am also getting problems with spoke failure in the back wheel of my Giant XCR3700 bike with the stock wheels that come with it. The local Giant shop always repair the wheels with new spokes and never charge anything for doing it, which is some sort of Giant warranty here in China. It's really good to see and hear about the service you are offering to CC members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
@RRSODL - I've only just come accros this thread and have really enjoyed reading it as well as learning some things about wheel building (which I've never done). Unfortunately I'm currently working in China but am also getting problems with spoke failure in the back wheel of my Giant CXR3700 bike with the stock wheels that come with it. The local Giant shop always repair the wheels with new spokes and never charge anything for doing it, which is some sort of Giant warranty here in China. It's really good to see and hear about the service you are offering to CC members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Keith Oates thank you for your comments.
If I were you I'd would ask the people at Giant to balance the spokes tension next time you take your rear wheel for a new spoke.
Most LBS that I know just replace the broken spoke and don't balance the tension. Maybe the charge doesn't cover the extra time it takes to do the job or perhaps it's good business to have clients coming back, I just don't know their reasons I can only speculate.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
A set of wheels for a big boy!!!! These wheels could be used for touring, they are that tough ^_^

H Plus Son Archetype rims

105 Shimano hubs

36 DT Swiss double butted spokes.

20140709_115005.jpg
20140709_115419.jpg
20140709_115647.jpg
20140708_112831.jpg
20140709_114500.jpg

Ready to be put in a box and despatch

20140709_143501.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom