Handle bar end risers and ergonomic grips....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

I think I want to add some extension riser bars onto my handle bars.
I want those that rise up approx 90 deg from the end of the bars and thereby offer an alterbpnative position for the hands, almost the opposite to drop bars.
I need to buy some more ergonomic grips and I will then add the risers (if that's what they're called?)
The all in one ergonomic grips/risers don't rise up enough so I think I'll need separate parts.
Sorry if I'm making no sense but I'm not sure what they're called!
Probably need to buy some self fit foam tube onto the risers as well as they seem to be mainly metal without padding.
Any recommendations?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I've got Ergon GP3 ergonomic grips and bar ends. The bar ends are short (they don't need to be long to offer a comfortable alternative hand position) and can be set to any angle you require. They've been great on the Coast to Coast, and the Coast and Castles rides.

I think I want to add some extension riser bars onto my handle bars.
I want those that rise up approx 90 deg from the end of the bars and thereby offer an alterbpnative position for the hands, almost the opposite to drop bars.
I need to buy some more ergonomic grips and I will then add the risers (if that's what they're called?)
The all in one ergonomic grips/risers don't rise up enough so I think I'll need separate parts.
Sorry if I'm making no sense but I'm not sure what they're called!
Probably need to buy some self fit foam tube onto the risers as well as they seem to be mainly metal without padding.
Any recommendations?

I've no experience with the Ergon bars, having used the 90's style risers since I bought my bike in the 90's. Mine are bare aluminium and haven't hurt my hands at all in 20 years.

KiterStu

I have arthritis in my hands, so I fitted Ergon grips (no risers) to my mountain bike and my hybrid tourer. They make a big difference, no more pain and very comfortable, well worth the money.

I use bar ends on my MTB. I do use them. mostly not, but they do come in handy & get used on all rides with that bike

ACTP0489.JPG

ACTP0490.JPG

Last edited:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I have Ergon GP2s on my folder and though I like the grips, I find the bar ends rather stubby and slippy, particularly when wearing gloves. Maybe GP3s in cork might suit me better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Those Red Cycling grips look nice but the end pieces aren't long enough for me.
The Ergonomic GG5 does what I want but I'd like to not pay over £50 for them!
Perhaps I'll just have to bite the bullet.

The Ergons come in small or large diameter. My hand measures around 7.5" from base of palm crease to the longest finger tip so according to their guide that would still put me in the upper end of their 'small' category which ends at 8.5".
However, if I'm to pay over £50 for these bad boys I'd like to make sure that I get the right size.
I want to try and rule out the large as it's an expensive mistake otherwise.
Has anyone tried the GP5 (or any of the Ergonomic grips) who can comment on the S size with a similar sized hand?
I'd hate to get on the wrong side of the person who has hands on the upper end of their 'large' scale !!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
Those Red Cycling grips look nice but the end pieces aren't long enough for me.
The Ergonomic GG5 does what I want but I'd like to not pay over £50 for them!
Perhaps I'll just have to bite the bullet.

The Ergons come in small or large diameter. My hand measures around 7.5" from base of palm crease to the longest finger tip so according to their guide that would still put me in the upper end of their 'small' category which ends at 8.5".
However, if I'm to pay over £50 for these bad boys I'd like to make sure that I get the right size.
I want to try and rule out the large as it's an expensive mistake otherwise.
Has anyone tried the GP5 (or any of the Ergonomic grips) who can comment on the S size with a similar sized hand?
I'd hate to get on the wrong side of the person who has hands on the upper end of their 'large' scale !!!!
Just buy from a retailer with free returns (or pay with PayPal to get any return costs refunded once registered) so you can change size if needed. I’d start with the small.
You don’t even need to remove from packaging to test sizing. Easy :smile:

madlad114

I want to fit bar ends to my Carerra Vulcan mtb but I am sure the handlebars are not quite circular, more a hex shape. Will regular bar ends fit as these generally seem to be round when fixing to the bars.

Top Bottom