Handle Bar Grips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
They would, but imo it's not really an upgrade or worth doing at all, unless your current grips are knackered (or you're desperate for colour coordinated lock rings :laugh:).

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

They would, but imo it's not really an upgrade or worth doing at all, unless your current grips are knackered (or you're desperate for colour coordinated lock rings :laugh:).
yeh they are knackered...hense the reason i said, cause mine keep slipping, so i thought about getting lock on

D

Deleted member 23692

I have got pull off handle bar grips on my MTB, but wondering if lock on grips would work instead?
Lock-ons are pretty essential if you're intent on progressing your mountain bike riding as much as you imply.

I use Pilgrips (Sam Pilgrim's signature grip) or Deathgrips (Brendog's sig grip) on my MTB's and they are 100% comfy & reliable. If they are good enough for those two's riding then they are good enough for 99.9% of the rest of us.

DRM

Guru
Lock-ons are pretty essential if you're intent on progressing your mountain bike riding as much as you imply.

I use Pilgrips (Sam Pilgrim's signature grip) or Deathgrips (Brendog's sig grip) on my MTB's and they are 100% comfy & reliable. If they are good enough for those two's riding then they are good enough for 99.9% of the rest of us.
This is correct, I had some superstar components ones on my MTB, they're an essential upgrade to any MTB used in anger off road imo.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Interested so many here find lock-on grips to be essential - I always thought this was a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

Must confess to having bought a pair with colour co-ordinated lock rings for one of my bikes though :laugh:

DRM

Guru
Interested so many here find lock-on grips to be essential - I always thought this was a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

Must confess to having bought a pair with colour co-ordinated lock rings for one of my bikes though :laugh:
Not if your seriously in to MTB'ing, there is a real danger that should your grips move, even slightly, your having an off, it's that simple, it's the last thing you want when negotiating a drop off, or a twisty very steep downhill section, that you need your bum hovering over the back wheel to get down safely, there is a lot of force on the grips during those situations.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Interesting. I have lock ons on one bike and regular grips on another and can't tell the difference, and I ride harder than most of the people I go out with, small jumps, drop offs etc aplenty.

No doubt lock ons would reduce the chance of that particular scenario if you have slippy grips. Mine take a lot of hand strength to rotate, but I guess there's always the chance you get a bit of GT85 under there while cleaning the bike or something?

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

I have recently got new Lock On Grips, and when i put them on, they didn't go all the way on, as the brakes were there. So i had to slide those along, but then i went to unscrew the grips to push them on properly, and looks as though they have almost rounded off, as when i try to unscrew them, they allen key just slides around. Anyone know what to do in this situation?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have recently got new Lock On Grips, and when i put them on, they didn't go all the way on, as the brakes were there. So i had to slide those along, but then i went to unscrew the grips to push them on properly, and looks as though they have almost rounded off, as when i try to unscrew them, they allen key just slides around. Anyone know what to do in this situation?
The only cure is to remove the screws and replace them, Oh and replace the Allen Key that rounded them out. There is a bodge which is carefully hacksaw a slot in the head and tighten em up with a screwdriver but that takes a bit of skill.

Top Bottom