Handlebar bag or basket for a dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Yep that right, I have a small dog who likes coming out with me for walks and enjoys looking round more than the excerise it seems.

So my idea was to get a basket for my new mountain bike and take him on some little trail runs. I can stop at some points and let him have a run then carry on, has anyone done this? I would strap him in like I do on the car with a small short lead so he cannot jump out, I'm sure he will relax and enjoy it.

Anyone any experience of this, any suggestions on a type of bag or basket?

sheddy

Legendary Member
The legendary Dave Hembrow used to sell em http://www.hembrow.eu/variousbikes.html

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I got one in the summer from Amazon. The straps that came with it were too inefficient as the whole basket would sway like mad and effect the steering. I added some extra straps which clip to the bike holding the basket much more tightly. I’m still not happy with it and have been trying to think of some improvements. Link.

You can buy a rear basket for a small dog that sits on top of the pannier rack.

I got one in the summer from Amazon. The straps that came with it were too inefficient as the whole basket would sway like mad and effect the steering. I added some extra straps which clip to the bike holding the basket much more tightly. I’m still not happy with it and have been trying to think of some improvements. Link.

You can buy a rear basket for a small dog that sits on top of the pannier rack.

This is the one we have for Stig, our Border Terrier, he did over 1400miles in it last year including a successful CC Half Century a month challenge.
We have it fixed to Rob's Galaxy....
DSCN0254 (1024x768).jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have a cycling buddy who is a vet, he takes his terrier out on the mountain bike. On uphills and slow sections the dog runs and on road and downhills my friend picks the dog up and carries him in the crook of his arm. As speed reduces he deploys the dog like an aircraft releasing a bomb and the dog hits the ground, legs already going, and accelerates away with a spurt of grass.

johnnyb47

Guru
:cuppa::sun:I used to carry my jack Russell in a ruck sack on my back. She would sit in it and rest head on my shoulders whilst i was cycling. Even though she weighed next to nothing you could really feel the hills with her on the back. She seemed to really like too. She would get all excited when she saw me getting the bike out.We would get some funny looks off folk along the promenade as we went by. AHHHHH Happy days gone by

I have a cycling buddy who is a vet, he takes his terrier out on the mountain bike. On uphills and slow sections the dog runs and on road and downhills my friend picks the dog up and carries him in the crook of his arm. As speed reduces he deploys the dog like an aircraft releasing a bomb and the dog hits the ground, legs already going, and accelerates away with a spurt of grass.

I think we need a lilttle video of this launching procedure. Whaddya all say?

DSC_0014_5.JPG

There's a Dutch rack which quickly de/attaches off/onto a bracket which lives on the down tube. It looks something like this headtube mounted sort, shown here carrying a sack of kindling The weight on a frame mounted rack has zero effect on the steering. Itll take a basket or other container of your choice. Including a doggy basket. And the whole assembly can be removed from the bracket when not needed.

Available from Practical Cycles.

http://practicalcycles.com/products/244144--azor-pick-up-removable-front-carrier-porteur-rack.aspx

Last edited:
OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Great replies and photos everyone thank you. I'm between meetings ATM so will have a closer look soon

Any other photos would be great, I think I want him up front so I can see him but lots to think about

Top Bottom