Handlebar width

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by gazza81, 5 Feb 2019.

1. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

As others have said try for size first, you may find it useful to have a bit left over outside the grips for 'Bar ends' too.

gazza81 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    gazza81

gazza81 Senior Member

Yes ive been looking at bar ends too.

I would just use a hack saw to cut them down then file the ends

3. 12boy

12boy Über Member

Pat 5mph is on the money in my opinion . When using a pipecutter on Al bars the cut is smooth and exactly the same distance from the end. A hacksaw can vary a little as you cut through, so the cut doesn't stay in the same plane. Sure, you can file or sand it but you may wind up with one side a bit longer than the other. I like to measure one side and use the cut off piece to mark the other. BTW, bear in mind that five things will shorten the distance from hand to shoulder for the same amount of leaning forward...stem length, handle bar height and width, as do sweep and rise. An inch or so won't change much but it can reduce the area on the bar you were planning to use for grips, brakes, bar ends, shifters and whatever else you would like to have close to hand. Moving things in incrementally before you cut is ver

4. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Whoa! Your skull has ears!? Are you the next stage of evolution? Can we see x-rays of your head, please?

5. OP
    OP
    gazza81

gazza81 Senior Member

Well, i chopped them down to 600 from 680.
    Feels much more natural, might even go a little more but ill ride it for a couple weeks first i think.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  6. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Perfect width will be 620mm...

ColinJ and I like Skol like this.
  7. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

The original size does sound rather big to me. The drop bars on my road/CX bikes are only 420-440 mm wide . The bars on my MTB always seemed wide compared to them but even they are only 560 mm!

8. MrBeanz

MrBeanz Well-Known Member

I had 42's on a Trek and thought they were good. Then 44 on a Cannondale and thought they were wide. Then 46 on a Lemond and WOW! Really wide but once I got used to it, I love it and have a hard time with the 44's.

Give me the wide bars any day!

9. Threevok

Threevok Four Sprung Pork Technik

You will find the handling will change, so watch those turns and corners

gazza81 likes this.
  10. Threevok

Threevok Four Sprung Pork Technik

That's not that wide
    The bars I put on my Inbred - I cut down to 720mm and the ones on my Virtue are uncut at 725mm

Last edited: 7 Feb 2019
  11. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

A 40mm reduction each side is only half a hand-width.

Must admit though that some modern mountain bikes do seem to have extremely wide bars. I remember riding my XC bike across a narrow bridge with handrails when most other people had to walk their bikes on their back wheels.

Biff600 and johnblack like this.
  12. johnblack

johnblack Active Member

The bars on my Trek Pro Caliber are 720, handles really well but I really have to watch narrow paths, gateways and woodland tracks.

13. OP
    OP
    gazza81

gazza81 Senior Member

Id like to go narrower but the bars get fatter the further towards the middle you go so might look odd if i go to narrow with them bars

14. I agree, the bars on my Stumpjumper are 780mm, and going from that to my single speed where the bars are just 300mm it feels like I am riding with my hands on the stem !!

JhnBssll and Threevok like this.
  15. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Let's have a photo of the SS!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice