Handlebars not staying correctly in position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mooruk

Thanks again. Sorry for my total ignorance! Here's some more pics.

Attachments

• IMG-20200528-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20200528-WA0011.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20200528-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20200528-WA0010.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20200528-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20200528-WA0009.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 6

Ajax Bay

Guru
Where's the wedge the bolt you've been tightening screws into? See @figbat's image.
With the stem out, turn the steerer tube upside down.
As already suggested by @fossyant , it also looks as if not enough of the stem was inserted in the steerer tube - |||||

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mooruk

Where's the wedge the bolt you've been tightening screws into? See @figbat's image.
With the stem out, turn the steerer tube upside down.
As already suggested by @fossyant , it also looks as if not enough of the stem was inserted in the steerer tube - |||||

Is this what you meant?

Attachments

• IMG-20200528-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20200528-WA0014.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20200528-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20200528-WA0013.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 4

figbat

Slippery scientist
You can see the minimum insertion point on this image. It says "MAX ↑ " with a line above it. When the stem is inserted into the fork this is the highest that the stem should be - this line should be level with, or below the top of the fork.

1590669887365.png

OP
OP
M

Mooruk

You can see the minimum insertion point on this image. It says "MAX ↑ " with a line above it. When the stem is inserted into the fork this is the highest that the stem should be - this line should be level with, or below the top of the fork.

View attachment 525609
Thought as much. I guess my next question is: is it worth going to take it to someone baring in mind it cost me nothing.....? Or is it game over and better to get a new one? I'm only a warm weather cyclist and so I'd probably only spend up to £250....

figbat

Slippery scientist
New bearings and a bit of grease and it should be good to go. This assumes that the thread on the long bolt is OK and the thread inside the wedge nut. Have you tried putting it all back together with the stem properly inserted and seeing if this works? Is the hex hole in the top of the long bolt OK? Can you get it properly tight?

OP
OP
M

Mooruk

New bearings and a bit of grease and it should be good to go. This assumes that the thread on the long bolt is OK and the thread inside the wedge nut. Have you tried putting it all back together with the stem properly inserted and seeing if this works? Is the hex hole in the top of the long bolt OK? Can you get it properly tight?
Yes to all. I can get the hex tight, but then as I said before with a little excess force, (I guess equivalent to trying to open a particularly stubborn jamjar) I can still swivel the handlebars. I'm assuming this isn't ok?!

figbat

Slippery scientist
Is the stem and wedge bolt clean of grease? Is the large bolt lubricated (copperslip or grease)? You shouldn't really be able to move the bars without significant force. I wonder what the steerer tube of the fork looks like (the bit that goes inside the frame)? Is this possibly split or bulging?

si_c

Guru
The stem and wedge look ok to me, my immediate concern is the fork, if you drop it out of the frame and inspect it, are there any cracks or other damage where the stem would be?

The next step would be to reassemble the stem and make sure that you can fully tighten the wedge when it's out. If in doubt a new stem will be under £20, check eBay.

Once you have it working the bike should be good to go, no need to rush out and buy a new one, in the current climate you wouldn't get great value for money on the second hand market and stock of new bikes is apparently very low.

Reactions: C R

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You shouldn't in any case tighten the bar so much that it won't move with a certain amount of force. If you crash, it's better that things move rather then bend.
But it should be tight enough for safe riding.

Mfezela

Whereabouts are you situated? I'm quite sure a friendly forum member would be quite willing to check it for you.

Top Bottom