Hands Up Who Has A Boardman Road Team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Perry said:
If you have, can you select all the gears on the rear when using the smaller crank?

Bloody hell Perry, what now?;):biggrin:

i don't but is it a triple or double?

yenrod

Perry - from the left sprocket (no.1) of the block at the back your better going now further than 4 sprockets to the right...as the chain will be be TOO strained at an angle.

Chains work better in a straight line.

kyuss

Veteran
yenrod said:
Perry - from the left sprocket (no.1) of the block at the back your better going now further than 4 sprockets to the right...as the chain will be be TOO strained at an angle.

Chains work better in a straight line.

Doesn't mean they don't work at an angle.

It's an Ultegra groupset on that model isn't it? Not that it matters, with any bike or any groupset ALL the gears should be able to be selected. I wouldn't agree with Yenrods four sprocket theory, all the gears should be usable though it's not advised to use the small/small or big/big combinations as it puts too much strain on the chain and could be noisy from chain rub on the front derailleur. These combinations should still be able to be selected though and if you've been told that not being able to is normal then I'm afraid your bike's been set up by someone who doesn't know their arse from their elbow or is out and out lying to try and fob you off. Since it's Halfords I'll assume it's a generous portion of both.

Anyone live near Perry to give him a hand with the set up? Poor bloke - all teed up to go racing after watching the Tour de France on telly and has to make do with the 'ddrrrrrrddrrrrrrddrrrrrr' of a rubbing chainline ;)

Make sure you give Halfords some fearful stick Perry - go to the top. Last night I thought of you as there was an advert for their careful expertise on Eurosport...during the TdF highlights. Make them live up to their publicity.

YES, IF ITS WORTH COMPLAINING, ITS WORTH GOING STRAIGHT TO THE top of management, then the branch and employees in the wrong will defo hear about it, and you should get great service then.. dont get fobbed off by a store manager..

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
dantheman said:
YES, IF ITS WORTH COMPLAINING, ITS WORTH GOING STRAIGHT TO THE top of management, then the branch and employees in the wrong will defo hear about it, and you should get great service then.. dont get fobbed off by a store manager..
That's the problem with chains (chain stores... oh, never mind... where's me coat?)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

It's a double crank.

I had the problem with the first bike (Romford) and refused to take it even though the guy in Halfords said it was "Normal" even though the chain came off twice in less that 5 mins around the car park.

They had the expert look at it - he said the frame was bent.

So I picked up another bike from another store (Charlton) - Had same problem got told it's how it should be.

Complained to Halfords Head office - took the second bike to Romford (first branch I went to).

Spoke to the expert he was angry as he spoke to the other branch and told them NOT to release the bike if it had the same problem.

Now I am waiting for their Top Bloke to build another bike (God knows where) and hopefully all will work well as they think they have had a bad batch of frames.

If I don't get any luck I will ask for my money back.

But what other bike can I get with that spec (Ultegra)for a grand?

yello

I don't understand why Halfords need to build another bike up. Aren't they able to correct what is only a set up problem?

You're having darned bad luck Perry, even taking into account that it is Halfords.

I've said before, I'll say again; complain direct to Boardman bikes. They should take note because this sort of stuff will seriously effect the bikes reputation - and it's not (necessarily) the bikes fault.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Incidentally, Ribble sent a promo email out yesterday saying that their Nero Corsa (full Ultegra) is now £999.

Yello is right about the Boardmans - they seem to be good bikes (always well reviewed) but whether it gets set up by someone actually knowing one end of it from the other seems to be way too much of a lottery.

Top Bottom