Happy 90th birthday ma`am

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Not a big fan of the royal family myself.

are the royal family truly British?

The obvious place to start is the family tree, although unfolding it is enough to make even the most seasoned genealogist reach for a stiff drink. Yet what comes across very clearly — and very quickly — is that there is a lot of German in it.

There is no real starting point, but we may as well begin with 1714. Queen Anne died, and her direct Stuart line came juddering to a halt. This caused a thorny problem because her 50 (or thereabouts) closest suitable relatives were all Catholic, so distinctly non grata. They were passed over, and in the end Georg Ludwig, the Protestant Prince Elector of Hanover, got the job, and our royal house changed from Stuart to Brunswick-Lūneburg-Hanover, bringing with it a wealth of connections to the ancient royal houses of Welf and Este.

It is worth pausing to note that, until recently, members of the Royal Family had no surname. They customarily used first names and the name of their house, which was inherited from the father (Richard the Lionheart was a Plantagenet, Henry VIII was a Tudor, George I was a Hanover).

Accordingly, the House of Hanover ended with Queen Victoria, and her descendants took the dynastic name of her husband, Prince Albert, which was also German: Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, a branch of the eminent House of Wettin.

Simple. But it does not end there.
When World War One bred increasing anti-German sentiment in Britain, astute observers noted that Kaiser Bill was Queen Victoria’s grandson and our King George V’s first cousin. In recognition of the delicacy of the position, George V changed the name of his royal house from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor, after the castle. At the same time, he also took the modern step of adopting Windsor as a surname for his family.

On her accession, Queen Elizabeth II chose to keep the name Windsor, and in 1960 the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh announced that they wanted their descendants who do not have an HRH title to be Mountbatten-Windsor. (Mountbatten is the Duke of Edinburgh’s adopted name. His German-Danish-Greek royal lines are Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glūcksburg on his father’s side, and Battenberg on his mother’s.)

Well, so much for the German genealogy – not to mention customs. The Royal Family still opens its presents on Christmas Eve, following the German tradition, which Prince Albert was particularly keen on following.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think the small number of responses to this thread shows how insignificant the Royal Family have become. How come most of them live to a ripe old age? No hardship and first class constant medical screening probably.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think the small number of responses to this thread shows how insignificant the Royal Family have become. How come most of them live to a ripe old age? No hardship and first class constant medical screening probably.

More likely the small number of responses illustrates the insignificance of a sub-board on a cycling forum.

Still a fair bit of envy on show.

Not from me, I've not suffered any real hardship, had the benefit of good medical care, and been able to live my life in the way I choose.

The Queen, on the other hand, has devoted most of hers to the service of the nation.

That's a big sacrifice, even if you do get live in a big house and not have to worry about the heating bills.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
More likely the small number of responses illustrates the insignificance of a sub-board on a cycling forum.

Still a fair bit of envy on show.

Not from me, I've not suffered any real hardship, had the benefit of good medical care, and been able to live my life in the way I choose.

The Queen, on the other hand, has devoted most of hers to the service of the nation.

That's a big sacrifice, even if you do get live in a big house and not have to worry about the heating bills.

This "Devoted her life" is questionable. We only see the public engagements and the publicity that surrounds them. The rest of the time she leads a pampered life. Granted she's not a bad person. Unlike her second eldest son.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This "Devoted her life" is questionable. We only see the public engagements and the publicity that surrounds them. The rest of the time she leads a pampered life. Granted she's not a bad person. Unlike her second eldest son.

Life's still not her own though, is it?

And we don't really know what she does outside the engagements which are publicised.

Having the Prime Minister rock up for tea each week must be quite exciting for the first few weeks, but when you are on your 20th (or whatever it is) PM and your 3,000th+ week, it's probably more like work.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Life's still not her own though, is it?

And we don't really know what she does outside the engagements which are publicised.

Having the Prime Minister rock up for tea each week must be quite exciting for the first few weeks, but when you are on your 20th (or whatever it is) PM and your 3,000th+ week, it's probably more like work.

But she's outlived many of those PM's and no doubt a few more to come. Do Prime Ministers live a pampered life? Not as much as the Royal Family going off their normal life expectancy. Do you think Prince Philip would've been revived so many times if he was an "ordinary bloke"?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Happy Birthday!

I watched the item on TV last night which showed old home video footage, and it was interesting to see them talking in a more informal way.

I can understand some public figures being reviled by the masses, as they are judged on their deeds, Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot etc etc, but to the best om my knowledge HRH as never been an advocate of genocide, passed any decrees that have made anyone suffer etc so why some people decide to hate the monarchy is beyond me. And before anyone blathers on about the cost of keeping them I am pretty sure they cost less than the government and actually account for a credit balance with the business they bring to the country.

U

User169

And before anyone blathers on about the cost of keeping them I am pretty sure they cost less than the government and actually account for a credit balance with the business they bring to the country.

The most popular "Royal" attraction in the UK is Windsor Castle which is less popular than Legoland in Windsor.

By that reckoning you should have this lot as your Royal Family..

lego-village-people-jpg.109283

In any case, France is the most popular tourist destination in Europe where they beheaded their royals.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not a fan of the institution, personally, so this leaves me conflicted - I think it's possible, though, to be glad that someone who *seems* like a nice lady has had a significant birthday, even while acknowledging that she has enjoyed a status that seems increasingly indefensible in a modern state.

Agreed. It does seem a little churlish to take the opportunity to opine that "she's only lived that long cos she's lived a privileged life". I'm definitely not a fan of the monarchy as an institution, particularly the grovelling sycophancy it encourages, but I've no problem with wishing her a happy birthday, just as I would do to anyone else

Top Bottom