Happy 90th birthday ma`am

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
There are some real sad individuals on here, I can only suggest they piss off and live in a dictatorship/ communist block country and see how they like it :smile:
Cripes! Constitutional scholars will be amazed to learn that those are the only alternatives to a monarchy.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
And before anyone blathers on about the cost of keeping them I am pretty sure they cost less than the government and actually account for a credit balance with the business they bring to the country.

hmm, figures are always helpful over pretty sure's.

And to be honest for all I dislike our current governmental incumbents, I'd rather have a parliamentary democracy than a hereditary familial despotism.

So in this strawman argument that you construct as if the hereditary monarchy and democratically appointed government offer the same management services, I know which I'd prefer to be dismantled to save the duplication of costs.

Also the cost vs value argument is weak at best and in the times we now live in : the systematic dismantling of the NHS, Police Services, Local Councils, state support should we find ourselves out of work and financially out of our depth etc, along with the prior selling off and failing to reverse those selling off events of other public assets that were in some cases (BR back in the day, Land Registry now just as e.g.'s) profitable does not ring true with the sycophantic treatment of this family.

We can see it with rail fares, heating and lighting provision to name a couple of nationalised industries of old ( oh by the way: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-fund-to-heat-buckingham-palace-2088179.html trying to tap into support for low income families, the mind boggles) that if we have to buy-in personal security / home / road etc policing, have the little plaque on the house wall for the right private fire service we employ to come and put the fire out should the worst happen, and our medical care (US personal bankruptcies are largely the result of medical bills) and refuse collection, road, street lighting, sanitation etc as individuals would cost us inordinately more at market rates than we pay out in local and national taxation for them. (what have the Romans done for us)

The whole notion of monarchy looks increasingly out of touch and anachronistic when you take off the deferential blinkers.

I don't really hate them, after all, we are all born to something. It's the fact their births represent privilege and entitlement. While they exist they shore up the foundations of such notions for others. You could argue the filthy rich and elite do the same I guess but not quite in the same way. Ultimately such notions of privilege hold back meritocracy.

I'm not bitter about it though and extend my silent birthday greetings to the old bat. Anything to keep Charlie off the throne.

Levo-Lon

Guru
You only have to look at the kids and the frantic flag waving to see what a wonderfull lady our Queen is..
She makes the uk a fortune..
Hope i see William and Kate take over, as that will be great..

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Whatever your views on the royal family, there is more to it than just sitting on a multi-billion pound estate and wearing a crown. All the PR work both home and away, for a start. Lots of countries envy our royals. Furthermore, Wills and harry have got on with their lives and overcome a lot. Mum dying, UNiversity, going into the forces and passing out etc. And all this with the dreaded media looking over your shoulder.

The Queen has also done lots to promote our country and to foster good relations in terms of business and sport. Yes I am jealous of their wealth, but I wouldn't want to be them, the responsibility and lifestyle would do me in. I hope she passes away when she's good and ready, but when she does go it will be a time of both sadness and new hope for lots of people.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If the alternative to the Monarchy is yet another elected politician then thank God for them. The Queen is the perfect head of state, apolitical and no power whatsoever.

If the alternative to the Monarchy is yet another elected politician then thank God for them. The Queen is the perfect head of state, apolitical and no power whatsoever.
And a selling point for the tourist industry, and a useful thing to have to give us the edge over the peasant states, in attracting business.

Top Bottom