Happy Cyclists of the A21

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Morning all,

Just thought I'd spread a little happiness in the commuting thread by saying how nice its been on the commute home recently. Each night for the last week, I've been steadily pushing my average speed up on the cross town commute, and each time I've found another cyclist on my wheel, he/she has been very complimentary about the Furai.

Traffic was slow on the Camberwell leg last night, but thanks to a quick exit from Fulham and a prolonged attempt to drop a fellow commuter on the exit from Lewisham towards Bromley Hill (boy! he had good legs), my moving average at the door was 19mph over 17 miles.

Considering I got held at 40 junctions, I'm happy with that. Even happier, each set of lights on the Lewisham / Bromley opened friendly rivalry between the non RLJers, each of whom chased away on green in an ever developing series of short leg sprints.

The nicest thing about it is that there was no scalping whatsoever. I'd arrive at the junction, riders would pull up behind or alongside, lights would go green, they'd let me wobble away in front, then hang on for as long as they could. All were good for 20, some held on for 25, three kept with me at 30.

Lots of fun, and I think we all got home a fair shake earlier than normal.

I do feel a little sorry for the cyclist we passed on the approach to Wandsworth Bridge. Start of my commute. Fresh legs. Flat road, light headwind. They were in the cycle lane, doing maybe 12. I was four foot over, trying to shake a roadie at 30mph.

Ah... good times. See you all tonight.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I had similar great highlights to my homeward journey last night and my inbound this morning. :smile:

No where near as fast averages on my 22kg claud butler lard arse. I did a wonderful scalp on the climb up through Hamstead though. Then got the chance to do it again on the final part of the hill when he jumped the lights as the peds went green. Winter legs vs gent on 9kg bike, uphill. My winter legs won twice. Got a smile from him although I do wonder if he was cursing behind me. :biggrin:

Then this morning a similar type of "race" for a good two thirds of my commute. I was rather flattered when he commented "I'd have beat him if I was on a road bike." :thumbsup:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
As soon as i get past clapham the number of cyclists i see drops dramticly :laugh: at least it means i can relax for most of my journey and not let anyone see :ohmy:

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

I hear you Gaz. Without frequent company (or visibility of said company) the incentive would not be there and I know I'd idle back. But having a funny bike means I draw the eye, and my inflated sense of pride means I have to take it to the horizon every time. :ohmy:

Besides which, its easier to integrate with the traffic on the fast sections if you're moving the same speed as it.

I normally fear the A21. There's nowhere to hide, so if you're going to make a point of sprinting off at 25mph, you've got to be able to hold it until you're out of sight. I'm normally praying whoever's chasing will peel off at Downham Way before they catch me on Bromley Hill. :laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This happens quite a lot... and I am guilty of it too..:laugh::laugh:

arallsopp said:
I hear you Gaz. Without frequent company (or visibility of said company) the incentive would not be there and I know I'd idle back. But having a funny bike means I draw the eye, and my inflated sense of pride means I have to take it to the horizon every time. :biggrin:

Besides which, its easier to integrate with the traffic on the fast sections if you're moving the same speed as it.

I normally fear the A21. There's nowhere to hide, so if you're going to make a point of sprinting off at 25mph, you've got to be able to hold it until you're out of sight. I'm normally praying whoever's chasing will peel off at Downham Way before they catch me on Bromley Hill. :ohmy:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
You must have been about 40 mins behind me!...shame...

I noticed (I'm sure you didnt) that the Headwind on the A21 was lighter last night than of late and only really "gusty" around Catford. That, and the fact that I was pacing with a chap I had literally "Bumped into" earlier meant that I was also home in record time...67 minutes door to door, thats only a couple of mins longer than my trip in (with a massive down hill start at...you guessed it......Bromley Hill!!...we should get royalties each time we mention that)

Got home, rang a Pal and was on the squash court by 8.00

(and off it by 8.40 in a small quivering "Jonny-shaped" pile)

Knackered today:sad:

I don't do fast - Halo probably scalped me somewhere in Hampstead...all the gear and no idea me!:ohmy: (I am pretty quick on the 'vertical drop' sections though)

It is a lovely continuation of Sunday's good feeling under the sun though - long may it continue.:laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yep did notice a the wind was quite favourable yesterday afternoon/evening. It's always bloody gusty round Catford... I mean... the litter needs something to blow it around doesn't it?

Tynan

Veteran
30?

yikes

I touch that right at the end of my ride in on my flat out sprint to the crest of London Bridge, for all of a few seconds, I wouldn't like to try to hold that on the flat for very long at all, assuming I even got there

even if there was time between lights, al been a bit shoot this week, wind assist on the way in makes it easy, headwind on the way back makes it hard work

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm not as strong or as fast as Andy, but I did get to 30 here:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4agfZMkqlY

I think the longest bit of 30 I've was along the A21 from Bellingham to Lewisham, about 2 miles worth. Did have to stop for a couple of sets of traffic lights, but that cuts both ways. You get a rest but you also have to expend the acceleration all over again. My copper neighbour was alongside in his car, had to impress didn't I!

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Tynan said:
30? Yikes. I touch that right at the end of my ride in on my flat out sprint to the crest of London Bridge, for all of a few seconds, I wouldn't like to try to hold that on the flat for very long at all.

Me neither. :sad: Mind you, the lights stop me from ever really trying it. I'd scream through brake pads if I tried to hit 30 each time I got a space between junctions, and my normal commute tends to see me stretch into the high 20s, before idling to the back of the queue.

eg. Last night:
picture.php

The spike at front and rear are the approach to Wandsworth Bridge (what is it about bridges?) and the Bromley bypass (much faster than the pedestrianised high street, but if you want the right hand lane, you've got to own it).

BentMikey said:
I think the longest bit of 30 I've was along the A21 from Bellingham to Lewisham, about 2 miles worth. Did have to stop for a couple of sets of traffic lights, but that cuts both ways. You get a rest but you also have to expend the acceleration all over again.

That's hellishly good going Mikey. As above, I stab at 30 but rarely hold it for any kind of distance. The only time I chase down cars is when they've been inconsiderate (how better to earn respect from these loons than to keep apace for a while?) or on the bypass, where the combination of gradient and speed trap swings things in my favour. :smile:

Actually, looking at the above, I may have been a bit naughty there. Is that a 30 zone?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I met a chap called Paul tonight, on a white CBoardman, who said he'd been riding really really fast with you one night!!

We had a sprint along a short section of the A2, then he turned up the hill and I followed Ian's chicken out of the hill detour via Brookmill Road. Hopefully he will come on here, I was telling him about the forum.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oi you cheeky bast... I was shown that route by a fellow forumite..:smile:

BentMikey said:
I met a chap called Paul tonight, on a white CBoardman, who said he'd been riding really really fast with you one night!!

We had a sprint along a short section of the A2, then he turned up the hill and I followed Ian's chicken out of the hill detour via Brookmill Road. Hopefully he will come on here, I was telling him about the forum.

Top Bottom