Happy Lancashire Day!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A well known/slightly annoying voiced Lancastrian here! They make me laugh though. They always proclaim their love of their hometown (Rochdale in this one's case), no matter which county they come from, but they all feck off to better places when they make a bob or two!! 🧐 :rolleyes:

According to reports, Gracie Fields did one to Capri and never came back, apart from when she needed new false teeth, when she'd come back to England to get them on the NHS, the fecking tight wad old biddy!! 🧐

Last edited:
Ah, you're 'privileged', as in your parents paid to send you there. 🧐 :whistle: :okay:

You can't be sure. My mate was scholarship straight through, even got help with uniform and everything. But yes in my case my parents scripted, saved and worked very hard to afford it. My older sister got a state funded nscholarship to a boarding school for a certain artistic talent she had. Second child gets nothing but my talent was being naturally good at school without trying so they felt it sad unfair for my talent to be wasted in my only other option, a failed, local sink high school with very poor prospects for anyone unfortunate to go there. If you were religious your vicar would wrote a letter to get you into a very good CofE high school in the next town. We weren't religious and had integrity so didn't fake it on a year of Sunday services.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I suppose I could've, even should've had some black puddings for my tea, seeing as black pudding is a Lancashire 'delicacy', though some still think it's a Yorkshire xx( one, like these twonks did! :rolleyes:

I mean what's not to like in blood filled gunk, with big chunks of pig fat in it?!xx(xx(xx(

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
A well known/slightly annoying voiced Lancastrian here! They make me laugh though. They always proclaim their love of their hometown (Rochdale in this one's case), no matter which county they come from, but they all feck off to better places when they make a bob or two!! 🧐 :rolleyes:

According to reports, Gracie Fields did one to Capri and never came back, apart from when she needed new false teeth, when she'd come back to England to get them on the NHS, the fecking tight wad old biddy!! 🧐

Having been to Capri, I can well understand her staying there,I had to be dragged back to the ferry kicking & screaming
Spike Milligans thoughts on Gracie Fields in his WW2 memoirs are hilarious, especially the description of the end of the film “Sing as We Go” at the cinema in Pompeii, with her marching towards the camera, plus a queue of extras following, just as Vesuvius erupts, and the audience run out screaming as if to get away from her singing!

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
It's only a few years ago that I learnt it was an island. Up till then I just thought Capri was a car.:unsure: :whistle:

More than the American mother & two daughters at the booth for the ferry as we were waiting to find out how much, and what time it sails, she wanted to go there and then, and despite being told several times the next ferry is tomorrow ( it goes in the morning, & sails back in the afternoon) she asked well can’t we get the bus? :wacko:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
and the audience run out screaming as if to get away from her singing!
Yeah, that high pitched voice and notes...I'd also run away!! 🧐 :okay:

Reactions: DRM
The library in Lancs near my mum had an afternoon of talks about the county, I migrated East a few years back now but would have like to have attended.

Apparently those presenting were dressing in traditional lancashire gear, I imagine that meant a raid on Accys wardrobe lol.

I've had this book on my shelf for a while, need to get round to starting it.

Attachments

• 20231127_223027.jpg
    20231127_223027.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 0

classic33

Leg End Member
They have to celebrate their recent inventions
The father of flight was from Yorkshire, (some of his ideas are still being used on modern fighter aircraft) as was Percy Shaw(Cats Eye's, Reflecting Roadstuds).

Carbonated water was invented in Leeds, Television, albeit by a Scotsman, was finalised in the East Riding. The first broadcast outside of London was received in a house in Shipley. The first movie was shot in Leeds.

Top Bottom