Happy to be alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Thanks for the support everyone. I'm afraid I don't understand twigman's question at all.

It's easy to understand. You don't give much info in your opening post, other than to say you were run off the road by a truck. Somewhere on a trucking forum, the driver might be saying 'came across a suicidal cyclist today. He went where there was no room and I nearly hit him.' Hard to judge with such little info.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Of course. We all assume that the fault is with the driver. But all of us here have had scary experiences with aggressive drivers and we naturally assume that this is another example.

Twigman

Of course. We all assume that the fault is with the driver.

Not all of us.
I make no assumptions until I have reviewed the evidence.

I see many, many incidents on the road where, in all honesty, the cyclist is at fault (RLJing/wobbling in to traffic/bunnyhopping off pavements into traffic etc etc) but would they admit liability in the event of an accident? Probably not as it's always the nasty driver's fault, isn't it?

Jimmy Doug

It's easy to understand. You don't give much info in your opening post, other than to say you were run off the road by a truck. Somewhere on a trucking forum, the driver might be saying 'came across a suicidal cyclist today. He went where there was no room and I nearly hit him.' Hard to judge with such little info.

This is how someone with a balanced view who tries to put things into perspective replies.

Probably not as it's always the nasty driver's fault, isn't it?

This is the sort of comment that someone with an axe to grind makes.

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
To be honest I was so shaken that my post here was just an attempt to air my feelings and I hadn't anticipated that amongst the understanding someone would ask for 'evidence' I guess you had to be there.

Jimmy Doug

No axe to grind - merely the impression all the sympathetic posts, passing judgement without evidence, give me.

You've got no more evidence that ayceejay was at fault than we have that he wasn't. But I agree entirely with some of what you say - I just don't like how you say it. Most of us here would agree that some cyclists do stupid things - there's never one class of person who's always at fault and that's true for motorists; but it's also true for cyclists.
I personally get very cross with cyclists that charge past pedestrians at high speed or cycle in the middle of the night without lights - but I also get cross when motorists put my life at risk because they think they have more right to use the road than I have. It's happened to me many, many times, and whereas I don't claim to be God almighty who never makes a mistake, I never do anything purposely that puts myself or anyone else in danger, and I think the same goes for most people on this forum including, I hope,ayceejay.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
To be honest I was so shaken that my post here was just an attempt to air my feelings and I hadn't anticipated that amongst the understanding someone would ask for 'evidence' I guess you had to be there.

It does, indeed, beggar belief. Some halfwit nearly killed me with a caravan last Monday - he overtook me on a sharpish blind right-hand bend at about 40mph, passing my elbow with less than a foot to spare. I barely had time to draw a breath of relief before his caravan swung even closer. You might say that I am lucky to be alive, or that he is lucky that there was no opportunity for me to catch up with him after the event. The woman in the car behind was visibly shaken I don't need to provide any evidence of anything in order to relate this story, and neither do you to relate yours. Asking you for evidence in this situation is moronic.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 1530578"]
Not in the context of the OP it's not. If they had described it the way you have with the above then I would agree.

But merely mentioning that a truck had them off the road with the driver giving a firm blast of the horn is nether here nor there imo. Add to the fact that near enough everyone jumped on thee old ''drivers at fault'' bandwagon just don't cut it with me.
[/quote]

I don't see why it's necessary to have some kind of formal inquiry. Someone posted that he felt in fear of his life from a vehicle that should be taking every care to avoid intimidating or endangering him, in a place where he had reason to think others would recognise and understand that he was shaken. That's all there is to it.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Not all of us.
I make no assumptions until I have reviewed the evidence.

I see many, many incidents on the road where, in all honesty, the cyclist is at fault (RLJing/wobbling in to traffic/bunnyhopping off pavements into traffic etc etc) but would they admit liability in the event of an accident? Probably not as it's always the nasty driver's fault, isn't it?
iconoclasm will only get you so far. 'Wobbling in to traffic'. Bikes are traffic.

soulful dog

Veteran
[QUOTE 1530578"]Not in the context of the OP it's not. If they had described it the way you have with the above then I would agree.

But merely mentioning that a truck had them off the road with the driver giving a firm blast of the horn is nether here nor there imo. Add to the fact that near enough everyone jumped on thee old ''drivers at fault'' bandwagon just don't cut it with me.[/quote]
Oh well stuff him then if it doesn't cut it with you. I take back my expressions of concern ayceejay since you didn't provide detailed evidence.....

Now back to reality where this is just someone making a comment on a cycling forum and not looking to apportion blame in a court of law, good to hear you are ok despite having any kind of incident involving a 40-tonne truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom