Hard commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Had some ice spikers a bit back, got an old mtb and put together a dedicated snow bike. You need to bed the spikes in by riding on the tarmac for a few miles. Every weekend I've said I'm going to do it, but don't bother. With the threat of snow increasing I thought the best thing to do was commute on it now to bed the studs in. Bloody he'll it was hard going, half the speed, had trouble using the twist shifters hadn't used them for years. The bike with panniers weighed a tonne I could barely lift it off the floor. A far cry from my road bike. Not looking forward to the return journey!

BSRU

A Human Being
I have the same problem, MTB set up with ice spikers but haven't got around to doing the 40km wearing in on dry roads yet.
One advantage for me is my normal commute hybrid is probably heavier than my snow bike.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Better safe than sorry though, took me an extra 15 minutes this morning. The lanes around Solihull were like glass, very scary.

potsy

Rambler
After this morning's ride as the snow and hail was just starting, I will be putting my studs on when I get home.
Extra 10 minutes I reckon, better than risking it on slicks.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
I bottled the commute this morning after my 25miler in the snow yesterday, even with studs it was hard. Blizzard the whole way in in the car. I'm getting back on the bike tomorrow as driving was way too stressful.

Top Bottom