Has anybody had a finger in their bum recently?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Incidently - good news on the BC front

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45143895

as least for England that is - with everyone over 60 getting a FIT kit in the autumn

Already on that list.

That's icky, Accy :laugh:
That actually answers my question that Accys thread begged: why aren't men taught prostate self examination? If men regularly palpated their own prostates (once a month after your period :biggrin:), then they would be very alert to changes. This would probably be better than a GP. I am struck the the story of Chrissie Amphlet, who found something during breast self examination. A mammogram was clean, but she knew what her breasts felt like and was convinced something was wrong. She insisted on a biopsy. And, sadly, she was right. The cancer eventually killed her. I think men could get as familiar with their own prostates as she was with her breasts.

But I guess asking people to stick their own finger up their bum is a step too far.

stephec

Legendary Member
That actually answers my question that Accys thread begged: why aren't men taught prostate self examination? If men regularly palpated their own prostates (once a month after your period :biggrin:), then they would be very alert to changes. This would probably be better than a GP. I am struck the the story of Chrissie Amphlet, who found something during breast self examination. A mammogram was clean, but she knew what her breasts felt like and was convinced something was wrong. She insisted on a biopsy. And, sadly, she was right. The cancer eventually killed her. I think men could get as familiar with their own prostates as she was with her breasts.

But I guess asking people to stick their own finger up their bum is a step too far.
Could always play doctors and nurses and get the wife/gf to do it?

PK99

Legendary Member

This may help answer your question

https://www.prostate-massage-and-health.com/prostate-self-exam.html#.W3A7oPZFyUk

Old jon

Guru
why aren't men taught prostate self examination? If men regularly palpated their own prostates (once a month after your period :biggrin:), then they would be very alert to changes. This would probably be better than a GP. . . . . I think men could get . . . familiar with their prostates.

That is a thought! I am ignorant of the details, and I wonder just how flexible one's arm and hand might need to be for reliable comparisons, month by month. Speaking ( OK writing ) as someone who cannot detect his own pulse I guess me and my prostate will remain strangers . . .

Edited
Ah! Thank you
@PK99

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

Well, as @PK99 's link suggests, it is difficult/not possible, but I take the point that men could/should be aware/encouraged to be more aware of symptoms of both prostate and testicular cancer (the latter being easier to self-examine for).
I don't have periods, so I can't do it after those, but men can adopt an approach to doing things regularly. We can also be aware of the tendency to ignore symptoms, which many men do, for whatever reason.
My 'that's icky, accy' comment was simply meant to be a quip. I'm aware that both women and men (and all things in-between) have 'icky' personal issues to deal with. They're just a bit different from each other.

I'm reminded of something I learnt at school, many years ago, in a biology lesson. It was something like: there are only 4 distinct differences between men and women. Only women can gestate, lactate and menstruate. Only men can impregnate. In all other characteristics, both physical and psychological, there are crossovers. E.g. some women have hairier bodies/faces or are stronger than some men, but in general, men tend to be hairier/stronger (etc) Some men have larger breasts (etc) than some women, but in general, women tend to have larger ones.

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm reminded of something I learnt at school, many years ago, in a biology lesson. It was something like: there are only 4 distinct differences between men and women. Only women can gestate, lactate and menstruate. Only men can impregnate. In all other characteristics, both physical and psychological, there are crossovers. E.g. some women have hairier bodies/faces or are stronger than some men, but in general, men tend to be hairier/stronger (etc) Some men have larger breasts (etc) than some women, but in general, women tend to have larger ones.

Not so much crossovers (that seems to imply that certain characteristics are inherently gender-specific and abnormal if found in the other gender) rather, there are two overlapping/shifted normal distributions for each characteristic. Weight, body hair, breast size etc. A man with very little body hair is not abnormal, he just sits at one end of the male distribution, but will still have more body hair than most women. Ditto, at the other end of the normal distribution, are the bear-like creatures I sometimes see in the gym changing room!

Almost as an aside, the first ever person I knew directly who got breast cancer was a man.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not so much crossovers (that seems to imply that certain characteristics are inherently gender-specific and abnormal if found in the other gender) rather, there are two overlapping/shifted normal distributions for each characteristic. Weight, body hair, breast size etc. A man with very little body hair is not abnormal, he just sits at one end of the male distribution, but will still have more body hair than most women. Ditto, at the other end of the normal distribution, are the bear-like creatures I sometimes see in the gym changing room!

Almost as an aside, the first ever person I knew directly who got breast cancer was a man.
That's kinda what I meant, there are only 4 distinct characeteristics, and all other things are tendencies :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
Just sent off my BC kit.
Last time I had a finger up the bum I was around 21 (I'm now 60) . I'd just posted myself on a tree stake and was bleeding heavily from my penis (which thankfully wasn't injured itself,) I'd ruptured something internally. Nurse tried to do a rectal examination when I arrived at hospital (blues and twos not surprisingly) ...to be met with spurts of blood and agony from me .
Needless to say i hope my BC test kit goes well....ive had enough invasive interest down below to last a lifetime.

Top Bottom