Has anybody had a finger in their bum recently?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
@jefmcg OK, I see your point, but if I read things correctly the reason for the OP was to gauge opinion about middle-aged men's approaches to prostate examinations (the approach being necessarily prostrate) , therefore making it a guy-thing (although I of course understand that women undergo similarly 'invasive' examinations/treatment, and far more frequently in most cases than most men. I think it was just meant to be a thread asking about blokes' reactions to having a prostate exam.

OneArmedBandit

My reading suggests that DRE by a Urologist is a useful tool, but DRE by GP's is debatable because of lack of specific skills.

Any view on that?
It will be better by someone with more experience just because it isn't a binary thing, with prostates for instance you are feeling for six different things.

However GPs are equivalent to consultants anyway. To be they just refer if there is any ambiguity so they are not significantly worse.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It will be better by someone with more experience just because it isn't a binary thing, with prostates for instance you are feeling for six different things.

However GPs are equivalent to consultants anyway. To be they just refer if there is any ambiguity so they are not significantly worse.
I've only got three, I think #worried :okay::smile: *slips a marigold on and heads to the bathroom

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
@jefmcg
OK, I see your point, but if I read things correctly the reason for the OP was to gauge opinion about middle-aged men's approaches to prostate examinations (the approach being necessarily prostrate) , therefore making it a guy-thing (although I of course understand that women undergo similarly 'invasive' examinations/treatment, and far more freuently in most cases than most men. I think it was just meant to be a thread asking about blokes' reactions to having a prostate exam.
Yes, it was, but it doesn't matter. It was also a bit of routine mischief. I wanted to see how long it would take before someone couldn't resist coming out with "Aren't men pathetic?"

I cannot make head nor tail of this paragraph.

But - guessing what you are trying to say - you may be over estimating GPs skills. I saw two different GPs (in Australia, but still) who palpated my broken clavicle and assured me that it was healing well. I on the other hand thought the same broken end of bone was still sticking up and it hadn't knitted at all. Return to blighty for my x-ray, and I was right. If you can't tell the difference between the snapped end of a collarbone, and the bolus that forms if it's is healing correctly, I really doubt they will be able to differentiate between an normal and enlarged prostate (especially one that hasn't got large enough to cause any symptoms) unless they have a lot of practice.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

But - guessing what you are trying to say - you may be over estimating GPs skills. I saw two different GPs (in Australia, but still) who palpated my broken clavicle and assured me that it was healing well. I on the other hand thought the same broken end of bone was still sticking up and it hadn't knitted at all. Return to blighty for my x-ray, and I was right. If you can't tell the difference between the snapped end of a collarbone, and the bolus that forms if it's is healing correctly, I really doubt they will be able to differentiate between an normal and enlarged prostate (especially one that hasn't got large enough to cause any symptoms) unless they have a lot of practice.
aka "arse from elbow" :smile:

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

You probably won't get referred to a consultant until the GP is satisfied that there could be a problem. In my case, he asked about symptoms, and seemed quite keen to give me a PSA and urine test, and then for the locum to give me a DRE. The locum seemed happy with the state of my prostate. With luck, that's the end of it for now. As @Fnaar pointed out, prostate and breast cancer deaths have equal pegging. I don't see myself as a victim of Munchausen Syndrome.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
You probably won't get referred to a consultant until the GP is satisfied that their could be a problem. In my case, he asked about symptoms, and seemed quite keen to give me a PSA and urine test, and then for the locum to give me a DRE. The locum seemed happy with the state of my prostate. With luck, that's the end of it for now. As @Fnaar pointed out, prostate and breast cancer deaths have equal pegging. I don't see myself as a victim of Munchausen Syndrome.
Shall I do that on your behalf (by proxy, as it were) :smile:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well every time I go in for an annual physical. Let's be frank here, it's not pleasant, but it isn't that bad either and the alternative is far worse. The worst bit is definitely the thought of having it done, possible embarrassment, etc rather than the actual. If you are afraid or haven't had it done for those reasons, really, just go for it.

This thread is quite timely; I have to get a colonoscopy later this week. Having had it done, again the worst part is the anticipation rather than the actual. And again, don't put it off, it really isn't worth it!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't looked at any of the posts on here as i'm very squeamish about things like what i think it's about. I'd like to ask a question though. Have any females answered yes to the question?

PK99

Legendary Member
Yes, that was the point I was making. Symptoms that could be bowel cancer and other conditions often mean a rectal examination, it's not just a man thing.
Just for the record, I have experienced a DRE, more than once, and I have not said men or anyone else is 'pathetic'. I just think adults sniggering about botties in Cafe, under the guise of health concerns, is a bit weird.

One of the reasons so many men do die of Prostate cancer is that many ignore the symptoms for fear or squeamishness about the DRE test (including a cycling club colleague who left it too long) - anything that allows guys to talk about and diffuse the stigma is a good thing.

Top Bottom