Has anybody had a finger in their bum recently?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kernow_T

Über Member
With me approaching 40 and my uncle being recently diagnosed with prostate cancer, when I was in the doctors a cpl weeks ago (wife books us in every cpl years for a 'mole check') I asked the doctor for a finger up the bum and was rejected. Maybe it was because I did a 'praying' gesture and said "please please please" but (joking aside) surely, despite us confirming I had no symptoms as such (I am approaching 40), it might have been a sensible thing to do as a matter of course? She basically said "give it a few years."

Drago

Legendary Member
With me approaching 40 and my uncle being recently diagnosed with prostate cancer, when I was in the doctors a cpl weeks ago (wife books us in every cpl years for a 'mole check') I asked the doctor for a finger up the bum and was rejected. Maybe it was because I did a 'praying' gesture and said "please please please" but (joking aside) surely, despite us confirming I had no symptoms as such (I am approaching 40), it might have been a sensible thing to do as a matter of course? She basically said "give it a few years."

She may have been more accommodating if you didn't keep farting.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I had it about a year ago - didn't think anything of it really, lay on the bed, turned to the wall, she put on a glove and 10 seconds later it was over, nothing at all to worry about - don't really know why it creates such stress in people

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Far be it from me to point the finger, but enough of the puns please

She faintly tried to dissuade me from having the minor procedure, but, with five friends with the same possible condition, I thought it might be a good idea to go for broke.

surely, despite us confirming I had no symptoms as such (I am approaching 40), it might have been a sensible thing to do as a matter of course?

it's not as simple as you think. It seems commonsense that we should do screening tests. But screening tests (which is what SM had and KT was denied) are not risk free. There will be false positives, and the investigations and treatment of prostate cancer can do some harm. So in a young population, the number of men harmed by being treated for a disease they turn out not to have may be higher than the number saved by having their cancer diagnosed sooner. A lot of statistical work is done to optimise the age where screening is of the most value to a cohort (of course the cost of screening vs the cost of treatment also factor in).

For example, people can die during a colonoscopy, so routinely using that to screen for bowel cancer on symptom less young people could easily increase rather than decrease deaths.

Another interesting one I have heard of (and this is from memory, but I think the numbers are right) is that test you see on military movies, where they grab the testicles and ask you to cough. Apparently that is looking for "silent" hernias. Left untreated, about 1 in 100 will cause a problem. But if you have surgery to repair it, something goes wrong in 10% of the cases. So the test may make sense to exclude someone from the military, but has no value done for diagnostic reasons. I don't - for obvious reasons - know if this test is done these days.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
it's not as simple as you think. It seems commonsense that we should do screening tests. But screening tests (which is what SM had and KT was denied) are not risk free. There will be false positives, and the investigations and treatment of prostate cancer can do some harm. So in a young population, the number of men harmed by being treated for a disease they turn out not to have may be higher than the number saved by having their cancer diagnosed sooner. A lot of statistical work is done to optimise the age where screening is of the most value to a cohort (of course the cost of screening vs the cost of treatment also factor in).

For example, people can die during a colonoscopy, so routinely using that to screen for bowel cancer on symptom less young people could easily increase rather than decrease deaths.

Another interesting one I have heard of (and this is from memory, but I think the numbers are right) is that test you see on military movies, where they grab the testicles and ask you to cough. Apparently that is looking for "silent" hernias. Left untreated, about 1 in 100 will cause a problem. But if you have surgery to repair it, something goes wrong in 10% of the cases. So the test may make sense to exclude someone from the military, but has no value done for diagnostic reasons. I don't - for obvious reasons - know if this test is done these days.
Yep I was 'offered' a colonoscopy last year and declined for that very reason (didn't much fancy the 'Self Administered Enema' either to be honest)

Top Bottom