Has anyone ever bought 3 cucumbers at once?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
The problem is that the British public are essentially stupid and if someone tells them there is a shortage, a small but significant percentage will buy cucumbers even though they don’t need them.

I'm old enough to remember the great sugar and potatoes shortages. Both were (Perhaps deliberately.) caused back in the 1970s by a newspaper publishing a story that sugar would be in short supply, the ensuing panic buying ensured there was indeed a shortage with stores rationing customers buying multiple bags of sugar. Other news induced 'shortages' were generated later in the decade of salt, potatoes and sugar again.

There was a grain (Pun intended, sorry!) of truth to each shortage, the potato one being blamed on the Long hot and dry summer of 1976, but the reporting of each issue exacerbated the shortage by triggering panic buying.

There was a bread shortage too, but that was due to bakers' striking asking for a 60% wage claim following rampant inflation. Ring any bells here? It makes the nurses' and railwaymen's claims look tame doesn't it.

Alex321

Veteran
I call BS on Justin King... any seller can refuse to sell anything to anyone... no special notice needed. We (one Aldi store) have been limiting purchases to wholesalers and restaurant owners since we opened some three years ago

Of course they can. Why on earth does that result in you "calling BS"?

This bis how they are choosing to do it.

And just how, exactly, do you identify those you are limiting purchases for? They don't come in with a big sign saying "I'm a restauranteur".

The easiest way is just to put on an overall limit, which should be more than the majority of households will usually want. And which is exactly what they are doing.

Alex321

Veteran
Rationing isn't to stop wholesalers buying it. Not hard to understand.

Not hard at all to understand, rather make it impossible to understand.

Rationing to very small quantities, less than most households will normally buy in a week isn't. But rationing to quantities above what most households will usually use in a week may well be, though it will also be partly to avoid people panic buying much larger quantities.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

And just how, exactly, do you identify those you are limiting purchases for? They don't come in with a big sign saying "I'm a restauranteur".

They have a trolley with seven full crates of lettuce, or half filled with nothing but frozen broccoli... they tend to stand out from the normal domestic shopper. Hope that helps :rolleyes:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm old enough to remember the great sugar and potatoes shortages.
Early 70s? If so, it was a sugar shortage that caused my mum to cease making home made squash. We had to revert to shop bought squash - which I preferred because it had more in the way of tasty chemicals.

Alex321

Veteran
They have a trolley with seven full crates of lettuce, or half filled with nothing but frozen broccoli... they tend to stand out from the normal domestic shopper. Hope that helps :rolleyes:

That was kind of my point. How do you tell - other than by the fact they are buying more than any normal household would?

And if the only way is by how much they buy, then the question is where do you set the limit?

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If a soggy omelette is what it sounds like, then that is the plan! (Red onion, garlic, tomatoes, celery and cucumber chopped and fried, then 3 beaten 'golden yolk' eggs chucked on top.)

Cucumber in an omelette*? You are a right wrong un. :laugh:

*the celery could be questionable too

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cucumber in an omelette*? You are a right wrong un. :laugh:

*the celery could be questionable too
I like to experiment! I was short of veg to add to one omelette so I gave the celery and cucumber a go. It kind of disappears into the background when fried.

People told me not to add hot chillies to my porridge, but what do they know! :okay:

Top Bottom