Has anyone ever bought 3 cucumbers at once?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
FqJX3z_XwAE4s7R?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Celary and a dip, like humous, is a guilty pleasure of mine. Last time I got some I ate 6 stalks of celary and 2 tubs of humous in one sitting.

I've experimented with a fried rice vegatable dish this week, added a couple of beaten eggs at the end to thicken it out and it seems to be ok.

stephec

Legendary Member
Or meat eaters could just eat meat, stop eating the vegetables and leave them for us vegetarians ;)

I'm up for that. 😊

presta

Guru
Was anyone listening to Farming Today (from 12m55s) this morning?

Apparently, EU growers form cooperatives, and they interviewed the boss of a Belgian cooperative who has just been touring Britain visting growers. He confirmed that suppliers will prefer the EU because Brexit creates additional cost and red tape, but he also said that forming a cooperative gives them some power to demand higher prices.

Current tomato prices are as follows:
EU: £2.66 wholesale, £4.66 retail,
UK: £1.55 & £1.75

Well isn't that interesting, UK supermarkets are making 20p/kilo with a 13% markup, but in the EU they're making ten times that profit with a 75% markup. So the public accuse the UK supermarkets of screwing the growers into the ground and cashing in, when it's actually the customers and not the retailers who are reaping all the profit from the growers plight.

There's previous form here, isn't there. When the growers complain they can't sell ugly veg, the public who won't buy the stuff blame the supermarkets, and again with food waste, 70% of that occurs in the home and only 2% at the retailers', but the supermarkets that get the blame for it.

presta

Guru
Cooperatives are such a feature of rural areas here it never occurred to me that UK farmers don't do that.

I've argued before that the real enemy of farmers is not the supermarkets, but the other farmers they're competing with. It's interesting to wonder how the law defines the difference between a cooperative and a cartel.

Our system is efficient when it comes to reducing prices, but like most measures that improve efficiency, they tend to reduce reliability. Reliability requires redundant capacity in the system that can replace the loss when there's a failure.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I've argued before that the real enemy of farmers is not the supermarkets, but the other farmers they're competing with. It's interesting to wonder how the law defines the difference between a cooperative and a cartel.

Our system is efficient when it comes to reducing prices, but like most measures that improve efficiency, they tend to reduce reliability. Reliability requires redundant capacity in the system that can replace the loss when there's a failure.

The supermarkets decide the prices and the farmers decide whether to get paid or not.

tom73

Guru
A cooperative is governed by law (co-operative and community benefits societies act) and like all businesses is regulated and registered with the FCA. Has to have a systems and the correctly appointed officers in place. They will also normally be a member of cooperatives UK. A cartel is legally decided via formal investigation by the CMA. All co-operative's world wide follow a clearly set out co-op values and principles. If anything the history of the cooperative movement show that , like minded people formed them in order to brake cartels not make them.

Top Bottom