Has anyone had experience with cheap vs expensive parts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
What colinj said.

If you search this site for posts by yellowsaddle there is quite an informative price by YS as to why worn chains wear chainrings. It all stands to reason when you think about it. I just can't put my finger on the post.

I change my chains when they reach between .75 and 1.0% and cassettes as and when a new chain causes slippage. Running 8 speed tech has its advantages... Chains are about a fiver and Shimano cassettes can be had for £9

If you keep your chains clean and change them before they get too worn then you should be able to keep a cassette for at least (say) 2-3 chains. Buy a chain wear gauge and replace the chain when it gets to 0.5% wear.
We've been here before but I think it's 0.75 on 9 speed and below.
i have two chain checkers - one with 0.75 and 1 which I am pretty sure means at 0.75 replace the chain, if you leave it to 1 you may be looking at damage to other bits.
And a KMC one with a single 0.8 marker which I take to mean that mean northerners can maybe squeeze a teency weency bit extra out of the chain.

What colinj said.

If you search this site for posts by yellowsaddle there is quite an informative price by YS as to why worn chains wear chainrings. It all stands to reason when you think about it. I just can't put my finger on the post.

I change my chains when they reach between .75 and 1.0% and cassettes as and when a new chain causes slippage. Running 8 speed tech has its advantages... Chains are about a fiver and Shimano cassettes can be had for £9
I have one 8 speed bike. Where do you get decent chains for a fiver?
(have dim memory I may have asked before)

Tom B

Guru
I have one 8 speed bike. Where do you get decent chains for a fiver?
(have dim memory I may have asked before)

I can buy 5 OEM KMC Z8s from a local outlet for about £23+Vat

I just frequently search the usual suspects I've had Kmc Z8 from CRC for about a fiver then chucked In a discount voucher.

Best I ever had was a Halfords price match to wiggle (I think) on Shimano HG40s for £3-99 less BC discount.

When see a good price I'll buy half a dozen or so. I do prefer the KMC. I think the decathlon home brand are KMC.

Just looked now and they seem jolly expensive. No doubt supply and demand issues at the moment.

Top Bottom