Has anyone managed to do any touring this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
It's not possible be a fine weather cycle tourist, once you've left home you have to take the weather you're given anyway. Foul weather can be just as much fun as fine.

avsd

Guru
Did a week around Tuscany at the end of May with some mates. Fabulous trip We flew to Pisa and did a loop
Pisa to Volterra
Volterra to Siena
Siena to Montepulciano
Montepulciano to Arezzo
Arezzo to Greve In Chianti
Greve In Chianti to Fiesole
Fiesole to Lucca
Lucca to Pisa​

And you're going to leave us hanging on that one word? Cruel basket..
Oh I am sorry.

I am trying to fix a bike, yes at this time of the night, for a charity ride tomorrow morning.
This is my second tour of Russia. The trouble with touring in Russia is getting the visa. I cycled with Russian Cycle Touring Club (RCTC). They are based in Moscow. Extremely good. Will recommend to any one. They have a very basic website but provides all the information you require.
Last year, I did their Moscow area tour.
This year, I did their Karelia tour, that is north, close to Saint Petersburg. After the tour, I took 24 hour train journey to Murmansk and from there to Teriberka. Even they asked me why did I come there? I said there was a train and I just wanted to come and see the place.
Russia is a beautiful country.
Its people are very friendly (except airport border control police ), genuine, honest and very helpful. It is a very safe country. I simply can not believe how helpful the people were.
I am thinking of a winter tour in fat bike on frozen lakes with some local people I became friendly with during the tour.

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I tried a slightly different tour this year. A friend and I did a two week car camping/cycling tour round Ireland in July. We camped on the Antrim Coast, in Clifden, Killarney and in the Wicklow Hills, a few days in each, and did day rides like riding to Malin Head and the Ring of Kerry.

It was a great chance to try out lots of different places in one trip, though it was very different to carrying your own kit and having a continuous journey.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We had a really good time earlier this year, ending up at the Semaine Federale, which was at Mortagne au Perche this year. Not really touring, but shortish rides most days.

Five of us are about to float across the channel to start a trip to the Med. 1,200km in 6 six days, so I'd better go easy on the alcohol.

Top Bottom