Has anyone managed to do any touring this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Ah but I hadn't left home!!!
If I had of left then I would of continued
I usually try to pick a run of fine days to set off with, but you don't get far before you've gone beyond the range of the forecast. I'd settle for a tour in any weather at the moment, I haven't been anywhere since 2011.

dnrc

Veteran
Yes, managed 2

Late May, flew to Luxembourg (with BA, out of Heathrow at 0725. about 5 Mins before all their computers went to pot and no-one else flew anywhere for days)

Went from Luxembourg along the Moselle to Koblenz

Then up the Rhine a bit before I cut across to the Nurburgring and did the MTB lap round that

Then over to the Eiffel National park and followed the rivers/lakes through there

Then back across Germany and Holland to The Hook to get Ferry home

Had beautiful weather the whole time, it was a bit too hot if anything. Got rained on a total of about 10 minutes all week.

Absolutely Fantastic trip this one was.

Then early August i went bike packing, left home at Norwich, found the start of the Icknield way trail at Knettishall heath. and from there followed the Icknield way trail and then part of the Ridgeway down to Radnage in the Chilterns.

Then back home again (i cut the trip a little short as i didn't take enough gears and my left knee was really hurting, it's bloody steep over there)

Again, had great weather. no Rain at all.

Got really lucky. Hope i get as much luck next year.

bianchi1

Guru
No tour on my bike this year as I donated my utility/touring bike to my son for his school commute, but instead I did manage to solo paddle a canoe 110 mile down the river Severn from Welshpool to Upton upon Severn. In this crowded country of ours, i've never experienced such glorious isolation and peace. I didn't see another human being for 2 whole days and wild camping was no problem at all.....highly recommend. If only all our rivers had such good access.

T6TAGWnW7fLL1I_6c3M4AwAjUd_eCRDOC_VIscm-i0mgKIKHFOw5rRMVXWI--XXH3QeCrxZZ4YhnhfpuvQ=w1163-h654-no.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
flat hill.jpg
Tissington and High Peak.jpg
Had last weekend in the Peak District, doing all the rail trails.
Also doing far too much beer (and cider) on Saturday night...
In order of preference, I'd probably say High Peak, then Monsale, then Tissington, and then Manifold.
Not that the Manifold isn't worth doing, but the surface is a bit poor in places. The cafe at Holme End is excellent though!

The first photo shows the shallowest hill I've ever cycled up...

Last edited:

Lee-M

Late last year I had several plans bubbling away for a two tour somewhere warm and hopefully interesting . As has happened on a number of occasions none came to fruition due to work . I have however on short notice driving off on a Friday evening and started a two tour around counties . So this year I have mini toured the Datmoor cycleway (in driving rain) , Cambridgeshire , Cotswolds and Kent all in steaming sunshine . Surprising what you can see in two days .

bigjim

Legendary Member
Dordogne from a fixed base for 8 days with CTC club. Riding out each day. Beautiful country with a lot of hills. Stifling heat every day. First time ever from a fixed base. Used a hire bike. Had a great time but too long in one place for me. Would do it again but maybe change base after a few days.
35565009772_7215a34a49_z.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
I've had several short weekend tours but new job and new relationship has meant less touring than I'd have liked. I'm in the middle of my first proper tour of the year. Weather has played a part...

I'm in Kenmare tonight. Day five of me doing another bit of the west coast of Ireland.

Day 1 brought me to Tralee using bus and train, day 2 should have been a straightforward ride to Dingle over the Connor pass but I had to abandon that after reaching the very top due to insane gale force winds which pulled the bike from my hands as I didn't have the strength to hold on to it and watched bike, panniers the lot being blown across the road like an empty Coke tin while I tried not to be blown from my feet. I hadn't realised just how stormy it was as I had been sheltered by the mountain until I reached the top. I kindly Lithuanian in an estate car took me and bike down to the lowlands again which left we with an extra 30 miles to do to reach the hostel I had booked in advance. I have never experienced wind like before nor do I want to ever again.

It remains windy but not seriously so and I've enjoyed the rest of it so far. Seem to be averaging 70 miles per day. I'm pleased with my fitness.

Lejog and Route des Grandes Alpes.

robjh

Legendary Member
A couple of short ones in the UK this year :
in May : Cambridge-Bristol-Cardiff-Pembrokeshire, over about 10 days and linking up with a Fridays night ride across the Severn Bridge. I stayed in hostels.
in June/July : Yorkshire-Edinburgh, over 4 days, mostly camping.

I've also done a couple of light 2 or 3 day trips, not sure if they quite count as touring, but the latest was Cambridge-Lincoln-Humber Bridge-North York Moors-York, with 2 nights away in a B&B and a hostel.

I was hoping to get away abroad somewhere for a bit longer this autumn but other stuff has got in the way. Next year maybe.

TrishE

Über Member
Only trip was a few days York to sheriff hutton ccc site then back to York for the cycle rally weekend in June. I've hardly cycled since just one or two shopping trips, been feeling achey doctor said I've got bruised ribs. Been working and not much else lately.

View attachment 375191 View attachment 375190 Had last weekend in the Peak District, doing all the rail trails.
Also doing far too much beer (and cider) on Saturday night...
In order of preference, I'd probably say High Peak, then Monsale, then Tissington, and then Manifold.
Not that the Manifold isn't worth doing, but the surface is a bit poor in places. The cafe at Holme End is excellent though!

The first photo shows the shallowest hill I've ever cycled up...
An extremely minimalist touring set up you have there. Not even any bottles i can see. Did you drink your own urine and use a pistol secreted in your seatpack to extract food and lodging from unwary passers-by?

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We had a really good time earlier this year, ending up at the Semaine Federale, which was at Mortagne au Perche this year. Not really touring, but shortish rides most days.

Five of us are about to float across the channel to start a trip to the Med. 1,200km in 6 six days, so I'd better go easy on the alcohol.

And this is what happened.
https://www.relive.cc/view/1204836147
https://www.relive.cc/view/1204838819
https://www.relive.cc/view/1204840177
https://www.relive.cc/view/1206745743
https://www.relive.cc/view/1207587496
https://www.relive.cc/view/1209124616

That looks like my packing regime on the back from my recent tour of Norfolk and Suffolk. Must learn to pack less, though I was also taking bivvying stuff in case I managed to free camp and the weather turned. As it happens I happened to find a spot where I could put up the tent for one night's free camp. Entire camping expenses for 7 nights came to £19. Did a short Suffolk/Norfolk trip earlier in the year tagged onto the end of the Dunwich Dynamo. Roubaix Cube witnessed my non too mimimalist packing.

Top Bottom