Has anyone noticed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
that when riding fixed, hills, while they are difficult sometimes, don't present the kind of obsacles you would imagine? Only having one gear and all.
I've been riding fixed almost exclusively since about 2012, the past couple of years not that much tbh, but I noticed even hills I would be using all my gears on I was still managing OK. Not exactly breezing up them but neither grunting and groaning with every pedal stroke.
I have only ever had to stop once on a hill on fixed and given that it was 20% in places and it was after a long climb already I was amazed I got that far before climbing off.
Is it just that fixed is more efficient in that there is no 'dead spot' on the cranks or is it more the psychology of it in that you know there is no easier gear so you just get on with it.
I've also notice that riding at night where you can not see the surrounding terrain, even inclines you know are there seem to be almost non existent. You can't see the surrounding countryside so there are no clues as to how difficulot it might be.

Just curious.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Is it just that fixed is more efficient in that there is no 'dead spot' on the cranks or is it more the psychology of it in that you know there is no easier gear so you just get on with it.
Nah, it's cos fixie riders are well 'ard.

D

Deleted member 1258

There's a couple of climbs round here that I've never got up on fixed, but most I can climb on fixed OK. But I'm perhaps not the best one to comment on this, I mostly ride in rolling Warwickshire country side, so while there are plenty of climbs we have a shortage of the brutally steep climbs

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
I'm not talking about real leg busting hills 'cos those I deliberately avoid if I'm on fixed but the kind of hill we all come across all the time. But those that still have you reaching for the small ring and using more and more of the rear as you climb.
Maybe 12% 15% which if it drags on can be a bugger, and still has you searching for the right gear.

@mustang1 . Fixed yes not ss. I don't use a huge gear mind you, I think i have 44 x 17. I think I read @biggs682 was pushing 52 x 16 :eek: .Not sure my legs and knees would cope with that.

@dan_bo you an' and me bro, you an' me :training:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I'm not talking about real leg busting hills 'cos those I deliberately avoid if I'm on fixed but the kind of hill we all come across all the time. But those that still have you reaching for the small ring and using more and more of the rear as you climb.
Maybe 12% 15% which if it drags on can be a bugger, and still has you searching for the right gear.

@mustang1 . Fixed yes not ss. I don't use a huge gear mind you, I think i have 44 x 17. I think I read @biggs682 was pushing 52 x 16 :eek: .Not sure my legs and knees would cope with that.

@dan_bo you an' and me bro, you an' me :training:

I'm running 44x18 on short 165 cranks, I have a mate who doesn't ride lower than a 90 inch gear on his fixed, I don't think I could turn over a 90 inch gear.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
I'm running 44x18 on short 165 cranks, I have a mate who doesn't ride lower than a 90 inch gear on his fixed, I don't think I could turn over a 90 inch gear.
I'm lacking understanding of 90'' etc etc ....what would that equate to expressed at big ring x small ring. (sorry to be so personal)

booze and cake

probably out cycling

RedRider

Pulling through
I know what you mean Colly. I've been riding a geared bike since spring having been exclusively singlespeed freewheel for a few years. (Well, fixed for the latter few months)
For me it's a mental thing as much as anything so spinning up hill on a geared bike still feels a little bit wrong - lazy and slow? - even if my eyes aren't so bulgy by the time I get to the top.
I'm desperate to sort another half decent ss for commuting and the winter before i get fatally nesh.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm lacking understanding of 90'' etc etc ....what would that equate to expressed at big ring x small ring. (sorry to be so personal)

I don't know his exact chainring or cog, but it would be something similar to a 52x15

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I know what you mean Colly. I've been riding a geared bike since spring having been exclusively singlespeed freewheel for a few years. (Well, fixed for the latter few months)
For me it's a mental thing as much as anything so spinning up hill on a geared bike still feels a little bit wrong - lazy and slow? - even if my eyes aren't so bulgy by the time I get to the top.
I'm desperate to sort another half decent ss for commuting and the winter before i get fatally nesh.
Planet X still knocking out chromo fixed Holdsworth frames for £99. Takes guards as well.

image.jpeg

Top Bottom