Has anyone noticed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
Another failed attempt to find a suitable frame today.

Just taken for a first run....
Rides's beautifully, smooth, taught enough though I've not given it the beans yet to see how whippy it is, but she'll be great! Very happy:

View attachment 149544
Very nice and good to hear it rides well.
The frame's are down to £89 now. Thinking ether the green or the black. What's stopping me? I've never built a bike from scratch before. Would I need special tools for the BB and headset?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

The frame's are down to £89 now. Thinking ether the green or the black. What's stopping me? I've never built a bike from scratch before. Would I need special tools for the BB and headset?
BB Tool and crank puller are cheap and useful tools. You'll also need a chain splitter. Get your LBS to fit the headset. Otherwise go for it!
Another good source of cost-effective components and useful information is:
https://singlespeedcomponents.co.uk/

Doesn't cost a fortune, fun to do and if fixed excellent to ride :-)

Milkfloat

An Peanut

I did mine (the black one a couple of pages back), I did everything including a stubborn crown race. It was my first complete build and I was disappointed it only took a few hours. I was hoping to spend a long time working on it.

Fab Foodie

I did mine (the black one a couple of pages back), I did everything including a stubborn crown race. It was my first complete build and I was disappointed it only took a few hours. I was hoping to spend a long time working on it.
The crown race was a bitch, some kind of gluey gunk in the way of it seating properly.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The crown race was a bitch, some kind of gluey gunk in the way of it seating properly.

It was apparent on mine when there was still a couple of cm to go that it was going to be tricky. I destroyed by bit of pvc pipe and had to borrow a proper tool and even then use a big hammer.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
GNNN! £89!

Q. Why am I hesitating?
A. My wife will kill me if I buy another bike or part thereof

Maybe if I resolve to sell the 6KU (see 'Buying off the peg)...

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hurry up and give it a go flat out, FF. It's that last 1% of effort, where Aryton, my Falcon Reynolds frame, just keeps accelerating, that I need to replicate... It's addictive

Fab Foodie

Hurry up and give it a go flat out, FF. It's that last 1% of effort, where Aryton, my Falcon Reynolds frame, just keeps accelerating, that I need to replicate... It's addictive
Oh I know .... I have a late 50s early 60s Holdsworth buiklt as a fixed wheeler that I first rode back in the 80s when I rebuilt it as a student. But it's a bit tired now and the forks developed a slow twist, so it sits on the Turbo now.
The quick test-run suddenly reminded me of the joy of fixed, but I need to build up gently simply because I've not ridden one for sooo long and still forget not to freewheel. Also just ordered a rear brake, there are some steep decents around!

RedRider

Pulling through
Well, I'm just about to press the button on a green la quelda taking my inspiration from this build on the planet x website...

21YYM8KY-IMG0612.jpg

It has to be green coz the black's sold out and well, I already have an orange and blue bicycle.
Thanks @Fab Foodie , @User and @Milkfloat for the advice and encouragement on fitting headsets / bb .... having said that, I'll probably get a shop to fit them.
I've got some spare bars, a seatpost, a dodgy saddle and a couple of stems to be going on with in the house and I'll probably get some tough, cheapish wheels built by the shop using rigida rims.
Is it ok to pick yer brains a bit more? What do you all think on the Gran Sport chainset on the planet x website? Worth the money? There's a more cheap and cheerful one - more my kind of budget - on the single speed components website fabfoodie linked to but with 165mm cranks. Would that be an issue for this long-legged rider?

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Well, I'm just about to press the button on a green la quelda taking my inspiration from this build on the planet x website...

21YYM8KY-IMG0612.jpg

It has to be green coz the black's sold out and well, I already have an orange and blue bicycle.
Thanks @Fab Foodie , @User and @Milkfloat for the advice and encouragement on fitting headsets / bb .... having said that, I'll probably get a shop to fit them.
I've got some spare bars, a seatpost, a dodgy saddle and a couple of stems to be going on with in the house and I'll probably get some tough, cheapish wheels built by the shop using rigida rims.
Is it ok to pick yer brains a bit more? What do you all think on the Gran Sport chainset on the planet x website? Worth the money? There's a more cheap and cheerful one - more my kind of budget - on the single speed components website fabfoodie linked to but with 165mm cranks. Would that be an issue for this long-legged rider?

I didn't realise that was the green; it looks different on the PX website. This green (above) is lovely!

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I normally ride 175mm cranks, but went to 170mm on the fixed, I cannot tell the difference. I have an inexpensive Sturmey Archer 44T crankset which seems fine to me. For wheels, I have heard great things about Jim Varnish's wheels at http://v-sprint.com/cycling-products/carbon-alloy-wheels/track-wheels/, the https://www.lfgss.com/ guys love them.

I seem to remember reading an article in one of the magazines recently, about relative crank lengths. The conclusion was that it doesn't matter what length you have (except for the clearance issue, of course, but not if you're sensible and use a freewheel)!

Top Bottom