Has anyone noticed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I always worked on the principle that your fixed was your old frame built up for winter/training use. Then I started doing longer distances but still stuck to the principle. Finally, a couple of years ago, I gave in and got a bespoke Ti frame built. It's definitely worth every bit of guilt.

I always worked on the principle that your fixed was your old frame built up for winter/training use. Then I started doing longer distances but still stuck to the principle. Finally, a couple of years ago, I gave in and got a bespoke Ti frame built. It's definitely worth every bit of guilt.

Do you think fixed/single speed has a limitation ? Not distance wise but more terrain, is there a point that you really need gears or can one gear be enough for all?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Do you think fixed/single speed has a limitation ? Not distance wise but more terrain, is there a point that you really need gears or can one gear be enough for all?
Not really. But it depends on your fitness. I would use gears on a ride that promised to be more of a slog than a pleasure on fixed.

With any bike, if you can't ride it up you can push it, and if you can't push it you can carry it. It's an accessory to travel.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks, that would be great.

Looks like it could be tight. 5mm on the front and 8mm on the rear, measured tyre to lowest part of the brake.

20161028_152648098_iOS.jpg
20161028_152722857_iOS.jpg

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks for that. If you can hear sucking of teeth, that will be me.

As long as I don't hear the sound of an angle grinder on the brakes trying to gain more space. I might try my cruds as a test to see what is possible. The other option could be the Giant Defy specific guards that have a split at the bridge.

giant-defy-avail-rapid-dash-mudguards-black-rutland-cycling.jpg

Attachments

• giant-defy-avail-rapid-dash-mudguards-black-rutland-cycling.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 63
D

Deleted member 1258

As long as I don't hear the sound of an angle grinder on the brakes trying to gain more space. I might try my cruds as a test to see what is possible. The other option could be the Giant Defy specific guards that have a split at the bridge.

I've got these on my Eastway, not as good as full guards but they keep most of the crap off, on the Eastway the rear guard is short at the front and I've had to cable tie the mudguard to the seat tube.

Steam engine 2.jpg

Attachments

• giant-defy-avail-rapid-dash-mudguards-black-rutland-cycling.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 56

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Not really. But it depends on your fitness. I would use gears on a ride that promised to be more of a slog than a pleasure on fixed.

With any bike, if you can't ride it up you can push it, and if you can't push it you can carry it. It's an accessory to travel.

Weight makes a difference! I mean the rider's weight. At the height of my fitness I could manage just about anything for a short burst but I do tend to get cramp in my thighs after 30-35 miles of hilly riding, especially in winter.

RichardB

Slightly retro
that when riding fixed, hills, while they are difficult sometimes, don't present the kind of obsacles you would imagine? Only having one gear and all.
I think you are right, in that there is a big psychological element. Roughly, if you absolutely can't gear down, you have to just get on with it. when I was a lot younger, I rode for one winter on fixed. I had a Carlton Corsair with a double sided hub, so I flipped it and rode it fixed, just to see if I liked it. I was riding 16 miles each way over the Yorkshire Wolds, so plenty of hills but nothing massive. I think I opted for around a 72" gear. I was honking like mad up the hills and windmilling down the other side, but I never had to get off and push, and my strength and cadence improved massively. I am 30 years older now and probably a bit less fit, but my current bike goes down to 27" and I use all the gears on similar terrain. I imagine that if I only had one gear I would probably manage - must try it again one day. Psychologically, when you have to do it, you do it. I think your point about riding at night is correct - in the dark, hills have far less mental impact as you can't see them.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Done ... see above!
What rear brake are you using dropwise?

Done? Sounds like my daughter when telling me she has finished her homework with a couple of paragraphs still to go.

Brakes are Tektro R359 Long Drops. I might have managed without long drops, but had nothing spare to try.

Top Bottom