Has anyone noticed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
That's very cheap! What's it like to ride?
No idea ... not quite finished - just ordered tha last build parts today.
I can't think that you'll get anything like as good quality materials and build for anything else near that price. Chrome-moly is usually nice to ride, usually comfortable and a bit whippy. It's underrated as a frame material, a big leap up from Gas-pipe. Can't comment on the geometry yet though ....

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I can't think that you'll get anything like as good quality materials and build for anything else near that price. Chrome-moly is usually nice to ride, usually comfortable and a bit whippy. It's underrated as a frame material, a big leap up from Gas-pipe. Can't comment on the geometry yet though ....

I've been quoted £500 for a Reynolds frame to replace Aryton (frame needs quite a bit of work which will be above that mark for a professional job). I'm currently using the aluminium singlespeed I bought off the peg but it does feel a bit dead after the Reynolds 452 Falcon frame.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've been quoted £500 for a Reynolds frame to replace Aryton (frame needs quite a bit of work which will be above that mark for a professional job). I'm currently using the aluminium singlespeed I bought off the peg but it does feel a bit dead after the Reynolds 452 Falcon frame.
For 99 squids there's not much to lose .... it'll be far nicer than aluminium. Reynolds 452? Not heard of that one. The Holdsworth will be akin to 501.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I'm not talking about real leg busting hills 'cos those I deliberately avoid if I'm on fixed but the kind of hill we all come across all the time. But those that still have you reaching for the small ring and using more and more of the rear as you climb.
Maybe 12% 15% which if it drags on can be a bugger, and still has you searching for the right gear.

@mustang1 . Fixed yes not ss. I don't use a huge gear mind you, I think i have 44 x 17. I think I read @biggs682 was pushing 52 x 16 :eek: .Not sure my legs and knees would cope with that.

@dan_bo you an' and me bro, you an' me :training:

@colly i was trying to push 52 x 18 now changed to 52 x 20 but no really steep hills around here just a few long slopes that catch me out and i end up puffing and panting like an old steam train

i dont enjoy spinning away i prefer less big revolutions to loads of small ones

3narf

For whom the bell dings
For 99 squids there's not much to lose .... it'll be far nicer than aluminium. Reynolds 452? Not heard of that one. The Holdsworth will be akin to 501.

I don't think it's that common. You can't get the decal any more.

It's got titanium in it...

I run 70 gear inches on my SS, and can do some pretty steep hills but all short and sharp with max mile in length. I live near lakes and Kendal so very hilly and steep. I wouldn't be able to climb the mega hills around here on it and I would say for real long rides, yes it's more than do able on a SS but more comfortable and enjoyable on geared. You don't have to use all the gears available though

GGJ

Veteran
A couple of years ago I was out on my S/S cycling up the Crow Road,(Lennoxtown to Fintry) and ahead of me I saw a young chap on a mountain bike, legs spinning twenty to the dozen. As I passed him he said to be "Give us a tow mate" and I replied I only had one gear. At the top I had stopped for a snack before heading home and he caught up. He couldn't believe an old guy on a single speed had just passed him on a category 4 climb

Milkfloat

An Peanut
20160703_122956378_iOS.jpg
That's very cheap! What's it like to ride?

I love mine, a real hoot to ride, although I keep tinkering with the gearing depending on my route.

@Fab Foodie pull your finger out and get it finished!

RedRider

Pulling through
Thanks for the heads up on this frame. I agree on cro-moly, my 4130 steamroller was a great ride. Wonder how this compares? Tempted.
View attachment 149094

I love mine, a real hoot to ride, although I keep tinkering with the gearing depending on my route.

@Fab Foodie pull your finger out and get it finished!
Very tempted! Payday this Friday.

Top Bottom