Has anyone noticed........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
badkitty said:
Cheryl Cole is a sex object and has made a fortune being exactly that.
It would be far more objectionable if the comments were being made about a woman who was in the public eye for her achievements rather than the way she looks. (and no,the singing doesn't count, because if she didn't look the way she does, no-one would ever have heard her sing.)

Chances are as it was Xfactor style show we would have, although the nation may have silently mocked the talented 'ugly' lady (urm deja vous?) for being a novelty!

(please don't punish me for disagreeing BK :angry:)

Wigsie said:
Chances are as it was Xfactor style show we would have, although the nation may have silently mocked the talented 'ugly' lady (urm deja vous?) for being a novelty!

(please don't punish me for disagreeing BK :angry:)

You Tool.

:wacko::rofl::smile::rofl::smile::rofl:

ps..sorry hun..couldn't resist..xx

You can't seriously be suggesting that Cheryl and Susan have the same musical ability? Please, no...:ohmy:

Danny

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
There's that IF word again. It wasn't so move on.
Sorry, who was it who started this thread complaining that some posters weren't prepared to enter into reasoned discussion?

The point about the original thread was that it was another thread which just has 'descends into a bad tempered scuffle' written all over it. And guess what, that's exactly what happened.

We've seen a number of these recently. Personally I'd just as soon see them deleted because what's the point in them. Actually I don't see the point of discussing the finer points of Cheryl Cole at all which is why I didn't post in it anyway but one which starts off just offering abuse like, what was it, she doesn't have big t!ts. Well for gawds sake, what a superbly constructive comment.

I also think a few of you should know better, which is why I posted in this thread. If you're going to rail about interference from P&L regulars, who have every right to post, then at least pick a defensible thread.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Crackle said:
The point about the original thread was that it was another thread which just has 'descends into a bad tempered scuffle' written all over it. And guess what, that's exactly what happened.

We've seen a number of these recently. Personally I'd just as soon see them deleted because what's the point in them. Actually I don't see the point of discussing the finer points of Cheryl Cole at all which is why I didn't post in it anyway but one which starts off just offering abuse like, what was it, she doesn't have big t!ts. Well for gawds sake, what a superbly constructive comment.

I also think a few of you should know better, which is why I posted in this thread. If you're going to rail about interference from P&L regulars, who have every right to post, then at least pick a defensible thread.

Who defines what a defensible thread is? Surely if someone chose to post and many commented... therefore its a defensible thread, the subject does not matter. Thats what makes a forum interesting, peoples different views, if you delete a post or you move it to somewhere out the way because you don't deem the topic worthy of your time then pretty soon you dont have a forum!

I am sure many will agree that some of the words chosen by the OP in that first post (and many other threads) could well be differently phrased, but does it give them any less right to post?

If someone was to nip into a topic in any forum section and deliberately post something to provoke a reaction against the flow then it's out of order. Like it or not its wrong!

Innevitably, the thread turns nasty and the knock on affect is that those in specific cliques stick together and join in to try to belittle someone (i.e. jonesy with me this morning) without getting facts straight or really thinking things through. Then they dip back out with the manners of a sewer rat when they are shown they are wrong.

I am not perfect and I have upset people on here with misplaced sarcasm or with an ill written post, but I can see the error of my ways and if i can see i have upset someone unfairly I apologise.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Yes Cole's breasts were mentioned (not by me), but it was quickly pointed out (by me) that size is not important.

Although it didn't concern them individually, I'd like to thank Crackle and Danny for their vicarious input.

Mods please lock this thread.

The problem is Wigsie, that the people who may find the thread objectionable, may not even post on it or this.

Who defines a defensible thread is a good question. Ultimately it's the membership of the forum and increasingly threads such as Yenners Cheryl Cole thread have attracted a fairly unseemly response. I know you've noticed that because we're having this debate, I just feel you're seeing it from the wrong angle.

Instead of having a bash at the P&L crowd, ask yourself why they are posting more into these type of threads, ask yourself why more and more people are objecting to these type of threads and why they end up in 101.

Far from it being some kind of leftwing conspiracy, I think you'll find that more and more people are losing patience with posts like that. I've read comments from women, those who've left them, that the forum is a bit too testosterone fuelled for their liking.

I'm pretty sure that Shaun wants an inclusive forum, so it's up to us, as members, to think a bit more about what we post. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't post threads about Cheryl Cole but there's more than one way to make the post. There's the 'I hate Cheryl ugly Cole' route and 'Why is Cheryl Cole popular' route, the same but different. I don't think anyone's arguing for a suppresion of subjects, merely a different way of expressing and discussing them.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
So your are objecting just 'incase' someone is offended?

IMO the cafe is just that a place for cafe style chat, I am sure the a conversation along the lines of the cheryl cole thread topic has ocured in cafe's up and down the country at least once or twice.

I have read threads in the past and taken objection to them but chose not to get involved as it is just a forum!

Defending the honour of those that choose not to get involved by insulting and trying to belittle others is that acceptable?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Crackle said:
There's the 'I hate Cheryl ugly Cole' route and 'Why is Cheryl Cole popular' route, the same but different.

Just re read this... sorry we must be debating over different thread's I have not seen a "I hate Cheryl ugly Cole" thread, I was commenting on a thread just called rather neutrally "Cheryl Cole".

:biggrin: :laugh:

Wigsie I'm sure there are and I think I said there was room for one here, it just depends how you start it and if you think I'm being offended on behalf of others then you've missed my point. That's certainly not where I'm coming from.

Personal insults are never acceptable but then neither is goading people and without condoning either, I would say one leads to the other. I think Jonesy made this point, I don't think you accepted it so I don't suppose you'll accept mine either. Sometimes we have to agree to differ and move on.

Wigsie said:
Just re read this... sorry we must be debating over different thread's I have not seen a "I hate Cheryl ugly Cole" thread, I was commenting on a thread just called rather neutrally "Cheryl Cole".

:biggrin: :laugh:

Yes, well you're just being devilish now, you've been taking lessons from the kids no doubt :biggrin:

Moderators

Legendary Member
As much has been said as is ever going to be, without it either descending into 'you know what' or going round in circles, on this thread, so it's now being locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom