Has anyone noticed........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
So if someone does not like a thread, and the viewpoints it contains towards someone/something, and that someone thinks it is offensive, then it is ok for that someone to be extremely offensive towards that person for the views they hold?

Give me time to work out how to explain where you are going wrong, using words of one syllable whereever possible.
I wasn't at all suggesting that it was OK to be offensive or resort to personal abuse.

However people who start threads like the one on Cole need to understand that some here find the kind of language that was used deeply offensive and are likely to react.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
jonesy said:
Er, no: the first person to have a go at another poster was your good self:

So it's OK for you to accuse User482 of 'extreme political correctness', make a snidy little dig about him using a thesaurus, and then say all innocently Oh, but it's all lighthearted! and then complain when User482 responds rather tetchily...

Jonesy, if you want to point fingers then make sure you check your sources first please, the wheelie bin comment was a reply to thclaud's one and only post. Nothing to do with User482 :biggrin:;)

So if I had done what you state then yes i would be in the wrong... and I would apologise, unfortunately you are now in the wrong... :laugh:

Please note: I am sorry for pointing out your oversight and incorrect assumptions and hope I have not offended yours or anyone else sensitive nature. :ohmy:

jonesy

Guru
Wigsie said:
Jonesy, if you want to point fingers then make sure you check your sources first please, the wheelie bin comment was a reply to thclaud's one and only post. Nothing to do with User482 :biggrin:;)

So if I had done what you state then yes i would be in the wrong... and I would apologise, unfortunately you are now in the wrong... :laugh:

Please note: I am sorry for pointing out your oversight and incorrect assumptions and hope I have not offended yours or anyone else sensitive nature. :ohmy:

Don't be silly. So you are now saying that because your little dig was against theclaud, not User482, that makes it OK? theclaud wasn't name-calling either. You can't possibly pretend that your post was not provocative, so you can't really complain if others were provoked...

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
jonesy, the claud came onto the thread with one intention, to stir it with his/her comment about misogyny.

No-one on that thread was displaying hatred towards women. That's where this all kicked off.

On the subject of provocation, what was Wigsie responding to?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
jonesy said:
Don't be silly. So you are now saying that because your little dig was against theclaud, not User482, that makes it OK? theclaud wasn't name-calling either. You can't possibly pretend that your post was not provocative, so you can't really complain if others were provoked...

I am sorry but do you not think to dip into a thread and cite someone elses view then make a statement like;

"Or perhaps there could just be a misogynist wheelie-bin for these threads to go straight into?"

Was not designed to irritate or provoke?

No apology for jumping to conclusions and making assumptions yet then Jonesy?

It's ok, I forgive you! It must be hard to read your PC from high up on that pony of yours. :biggrin: unless you have a laptop, then there is no excuse.

Danny

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
jonesy, the claud came onto the thread with one intention, to stir it with his/her comment about misogyny.

No-one on that thread was displaying hatred towards women. That's where this all kicked off.

On the subject of provocation, what was Wigsie responding to?
My point is that the OP could be considered offensive because of the way it treats women like Cheryl Cole as sex objects rather than human beings. That, I suspect, it what the claud was reacting to.

Personally I think User482 had a valid point when he asked whether a similar OP discussing the appearance and intelligence of a black person would have been treated as just light hearted banter.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Danny said:
My point is that the OP could be considered offensive because of the way it treats women like Cheryl Cole as sex objects rather than human beings. That, I suspect, it what the claud was reacting to.

Personally I think User482 had a valid point when he asked whether a similar OP discussing the appearance and intelligence of a black person would have been treated as just light hearted banter.

I think the media, the 'celebs' and the morons that feed the 'glamour' industry need to accept the responsibility for the hero worshipping it produces.

Yenners didn't find her attractive - opinion.

I don't like the way women are portrayed in the media, as it gives the totally WRONG message to children. Which according to your analysis would put me in the claud camp.

At NO point was Cole's ethnicity EVER mentioned till User482 brought it up, and (personally) it has no bearing on my original views.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Danny said:

You are saying that if the 'celebrity' being discussed was black then the thread would be racist?

just jim

Wigsie said:
And then they had the cheek to say that his cameo in dodgeball was not awesome!

Cheeky B*stards!

I thought his cameo in "Me You and Dupree" was worth a chuckle!

Danny

Legendary Member
Wigsie said:
You are saying that if the 'celebrity' being discussed was black then the thread would be racist?
I am saying that not so long ago it was not uncommon for black people (male and female) to be discussed in similar terms to those used to discuss Cheryl Cole.

Black boxers, for example, were often talked about as if they were a champion stallion rather than a human being.

I wonder if the OP would have been seen as so light hearted if had referred to the mother/wife/sister/daughter of someone here.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
just jim said:
I thought his cameo in "Me You and Dupree" was worth a chuckle!

What?

You mean you can't actually buy that simulator for your turbo trainer?? I have been searching and saving for one for ages.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Danny said:
I am saying that not so long ago it was not uncommon for black people (male and female) to be discussed in similar terms to those used to discuss Cheryl Cole.

Black boxers, for example, were often talked about as if they were a champion stallion rather than a human being.

I wonder if the OP would have been seen as so light hearted if had referred to the mother/wife/sister/daughter of someone here.

There's that IF word again. It wasn't so move on.

This thread is not about black boxers, so move on.

The thread was about a woman who, in her own admission, would say she uses her (alleged) good 'looks' and the tabloids etc to promote herself. A member stated an opinion that he DIDN'T find her attractive (i.e. wouldn't buy into her media persona)

Most women in the world (mothers, sisters and daughters) don't thrust their lives onto the pages of tabloid and glossy mag junk, because they are 'real' women, and the media can't sell make-up, magazines, records, diet clubs and slimming shakes to women who can think for themselves.

The media like the women who blindly queue up daily to buy Heat, Gossip and whatever mag is going to stare at some tart's cellulite?????

Mr Pig

Why are we talking about P&L in the café? It's a bit like the wheely bin, we don't need to love it or have it in the house with us but I'm thankful that in exists.

Danny said:

Cheryl Cole is a sex object and has made a fortune being exactly that.
It would be far more objectionable if the comments were being made about a woman who was in the public eye for her achievements rather than the way she looks. (and no,the singing doesn't count, because if she didn't look the way she does, no-one would ever have heard her sing.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom