Hate winter cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mkmark666

Went out for 1.5 hours today, then spent about an hour cleaning my bike. Must get one of those smart trainers and zwift.......

Having said that it was still great to get out into the countryside, and dare I say it the few fellow cyclists I encountered all gave me a cheery greeting

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I did an hour on the turbo today, preffered that to going outside, it was horrible today.
45 mins for me today , its been 1-2 degrees c all day and on/off sleet for most of it .

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm looking forward to colder commutes. Over here, it's still summer (for a bit longer), and the temperature has been reaching the mid-30s with depressing regularity. This coming week, however, the maximum should only reach 30. Obviously, the Australian winter is nowhere near as severe as the UK one, which makes cycling in winter more pleasant than in summer (for me, anyway).
I have been trying to acclimatise to the summer heat, though, because I'll be having an extra 2 weeks of summer cycling in the last week of June and first week of July, when I ride through the Italian and French Alps, and French Pyrenees.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm looking forward to colder commutes. Over here, it's still summer (for a bit longer), and the temperature has been reaching the mid-30s with depressing regularity. This coming week, however, the maximum should only reach 30. Obviously, the Australian winter is nowhere near as severe as the UK one, which makes cycling in winter more pleasant than in summer (for me, anyway).
I have been trying to acclimatise to the summer heat, though, because I'll be having an extra 2 weeks of summer cycling in the last week of June and first week of July, when I ride through the Italian and French Alps, and French Pyrenees.

There are some people who should be on my ignore list.^_^

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Somebody on another thread mentioned this. I was out in the sleet yesterday. Chain freshly cleaned and lubed. Put the bike away last night. This morning - rust all over the chain. :sad:

Conspiracy theory: The bike was in the LBS between it being lubed and this ride. Maybe they innoculated it with EZ-rust in a cunning plan to sell more chains.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I drew the line this weekend; it was cod, wet and windy and that's not fun. We went to the velodrome for an hour's taster and poor GtiJ fell off avoiding his embarrassingly slow Dad and skinned his bum. Better than falling on ice on a gritty road though.

screenman

Legendary Member
Somebody on another thread mentioned this. I was out in the sleet yesterday. Chain freshly cleaned and lubed. Put the bike away last night. This morning - rust all over the chain. :sad:

Conspiracy theory: The bike was in the LBS between it being lubed and this ride. Maybe they innoculated it with EZ-rust in a cunning plan to sell more chains.

Did you dry the chain before living.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Did you dry the chain before living.
Nope. I'm not mad.
I'd just done 100+ sleety miles and had a hot bath and a birthday meal awaiting me. I had a lot of living to do! ;)

johnnyb47

Guru
I'm not a big fan of winter cycling. It's not so much the cold that puts me off, but more so the dark evenings after work. I feel to vulnerable cycling along the dark roads surrounded by mad motorists. My favourite time to cycle are in the summer evenings around 7/8 at night when the roads are nice and quiet..I can't wait for the clocks to change again to summer time hours..

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I guess I am lucky where I live as I can ride up to about 30 miles without going on roads which is usually enough for a 48 yr old overweight hybrid riding snert.
Tried riding on the main Mumbles road the other day...sod that for a laugh..stress island!

GGJ

Veteran
I don't mind the cold as I can layer up to keep warm. The rain doesn't bother me if it starts when I'm already out cycling, but I don't like leaving the house in the rain to start my ride. My biggest hate is the strong winds, it's no fun getting blown all over the narrow country roads and drivers not going me enough space

Top Bottom