Hate winter cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Feet don't bother me I tend to get cold around the nether regions first. Wind chill on that area covered with a layer of lycra and its soon numb. I've started wearing mtb shorts over bib tights recently takes a lot of the chill off even if it's not the done thing on a road bike
My bib tights don't have a pad in them so I wear an old worn-out pair of bib shorts under them. The shorts would be obscene without the tights, but this way I get to carry on using them until they completely fall apart. It is like double-glazing for the nether regions!

ozboz

Guru
image.jpeg

It doesnt bother me to much , thats my GT , I was having a ride along the towpath, but , if my feet get wet as well as cold , Then it can be time to head off home,

JoshM

I don't have a choice. I use my bike to commute and I deliberately don't have a car. I'll only ask for a lift from a colleague if the FRB is closed to cyclists - only happened once on my shifts this winter). I've found that even when its wet and windy the thought of getting on the bike is far worse than actually being on the bike.

I've cycled in snow, frost, wind and hale this winter. Think the coldest was -6. When it's very cold, I wear a skull cap under my helmet, a long sleeved base layer, long sleeved cycle top, long legged thermal cycle bib, hiking socks, cycle shoes with overboots, and thin contact gloves under wind and water proof fleece lined gloves. I also put a cycle jacket over the top, and a buff. It's a flexible set up that lets me pick exactly how wrapped up I want to be for each ride.

I've two lights on the front, and two lights on the back in case one fails when I'm out but generally I feel ok cycling in the dark. I feel I stand out more with the lights on in complete dark than I do at dusk or in a winter sunset. My bike gets dried off when I get home after each shift and cleaned after each set of 3/4 shifts and seems to be coping.

At first I got frustrated that I seemed slower in the winter months, but a few close calls has convinced me that ANY cycling in the winter is better than nothihg, and will help my overall fitness. Generally although I'm not as fast, my heart rate data suggests that I'm working just as hard so I content myself with that!

I love the challenge of winter cycling, I believe that it will aid my ultra marathon training, and I'm hoping that by cycling all winter I'll really appreciate the cycling I'll get to do in a few months.

I feel safer on the dark commutes. I'm lit up like a Christmas tree, you would have to be blind not to see me from afar.

What is a wee bitty annoy 0°C yesterday, riding home tonight 8°C. Roasting!

Slick

Guru
I don't have a choice. I use my bike to commute and I deliberately don't have a car. I'll only ask for a lift from a colleague if the FRB is closed to cyclists - only happened once on my shifts this winter). I've found that even when its wet and windy the thought of getting on the bike is far worse than actually being on the bike.

I've cycled in snow, frost, wind and hale this winter. Think the coldest was -6. When it's very cold, I wear a skull cap under my helmet, a long sleeved base layer, long sleeved cycle top, long legged thermal cycle bib, hiking socks, cycle shoes with overboots, and thin contact gloves under wind and water proof fleece lined gloves. I also put a cycle jacket over the top, and a buff. It's a flexible set up that lets me pick exactly how wrapped up I want to be for each ride.

I've two lights on the front, and two lights on the back in case one fails when I'm out but generally I feel ok cycling in the dark. I feel I stand out more with the lights on in complete dark than I do at dusk or in a winter sunset. My bike gets dried off when I get home after each shift and cleaned after each set of 3/4 shifts and seems to be coping.

At first I got frustrated that I seemed slower in the winter months, but a few close calls has convinced me that ANY cycling in the winter is better than nothihg, and will help my overall fitness. Generally although I'm not as fast, my heart rate data suggests that I'm working just as hard so I content myself with that!

I love the challenge of winter cycling, I believe that it will aid my ultra marathon training, and I'm hoping that by cycling all winter I'll really appreciate the cycling I'll get to do in a few months.
How did you manage when the bridge closed last year?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i am happy to ridw in most conditions apart from ice, frost and snow

and since just before christmas my miles have taken a real tumble

and to make it worse i have a couple of new to me bikes i want to get some miles on

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
When working I'd commute every day, rain or shine. Most of my best memories are of winter commutes, especially the time cycling home after a late shift at 0300 on freshly dropped snow, the snow thrown up by the front tyre being illuminated by my headlight. It did take me twice as long to get home though.

wonderloaf

Veteran
If you'd asked me three weeks ago, I would have said ride through the winter months. Just layer up and enjoy. Riding at night through dark country lanes is stimulating and something I miss now that I am not commuting.

But ..... 2nd Jan, took a fall on black ice and have been off the bike for the last three weeks and still hobbling round the house with the aid of crutches.
So next year I will be changing my plans and probably stick to the turbo on days when the temperature drops.
Same here, fell and broke my thigh bone on the same day as you. Healing up well but just bought a turbo trainer to help my recovery and also so I don't feel the need to go out so much in winter. Bring on spring when I might be well enough to get outside again though!

Sharky

Guru
Same here, fell and broke my thigh bone on the same day as you. Healing up well but just bought a turbo trainer to help my recovery and also so I don't feel the need to go out so much in winter. Bring on spring when I might be well enough to get outside again though!
Yep its rotton luck. Hope your recovery goes well.
Keith

OP
OP
adamangler

adamangler

Veteran
Im self employed so i dont have a commute. My commute is from my bed to the van on the drive, i stop for a coffee on the way though ^_^

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was just saying to someone a short while ago how i would've been out in this horrible weather if i hadn't broken my hip. No matter how horrible the weather, i had to go for a ride on Sunday afternoon. Today i've done 75 minutes on my turbo. Boring it may be,but i was safe and dry.

Last edited:

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
This winter has been remarkably dry. I have loved cycling the winter nights.
In fact, I prefer it to when it is light as there is almost no-one on my usual routes. (Path riding hybrid snert)

OP
OP
adamangler

adamangler

Veteran
I was just saying to someone a short while ago how i would've been out in this horrible weather if i hadn't broken my hip. No matter how horrible the weather, i had to go for a ride on Sunday afternoon. Today i've done 75 minutes on my turbo. Boring it may be,but i was safe and dry.

I did an hour on the turbo today, preffered that to going outside, it was horrible today.

Top Bottom