Hate winter cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I feel you. Summer riding is easy, the weather's amenable, the countryside is looking it's best, your guns are looking their best, you take 3 minutes to get your summer kit on, and you get home looking like a TdF hero, glistening with sweat and ready for a cold beer. It's all good.

But this time of year, despite the faff of winter kit and the frostbite, try to look at yourself like an Eddy Merckx of old, putting in the hard miles in the frosts of Wallone, you're a hard man, mixing it with the very hardiest. Even if you manage 15 miles, you're a winter training hero, and you have a physical and moral start on those cycling peers who won't come out of hibernation until April.

Embrace it sir, for it's a true cyclist who gets out when it's easier to stay in.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
'Crisp blue skies' - ha - it was a freezing, murky, grey day here, and then the sleet started ...!

As for quieter roads ... it seemed that everybody with a car decided that it was too cold to go out EXCEPT in a car so there was lots of traffic on our local roads.

But I went out with a couple of pals and did our planned 50 km ride, including a stop at a warm cafe.

It is certainly nice to come home and have a hot shower after a winter ride.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Winter cycling can be fantastic. But I do prefer longer hours of daylight and riding with my knees free.

The Cyclechat monthly challenges have encouraged me to set myself targets in the darker months, and that's quite a big change. Even in the best days of my youth I often used to duck out of January altogether.

Big John

Guru
I've noticed the circulation getting worse as I get older and my feet, which are even cold in the summer, are like two blocks of ice when I finish the ride. Today was no exception. Grey, murky and decidedly cold I clocked 42 miles but would have done more had my feet told me it was time to turn for home. Hands were warm and so was I - just the feet protested. I stood in the kitchen with my feet in a bowl of warm water, which I couldn't feel at all, until they began to thaw out after about 10 minutes. Then the pain followed. I'm sure there's a doctor in our midst will explain that one away but it's a mystery to me. Was it worth it? The jury's out on that one but it's not stopped me yet. Perhaps the café stop is what keeps me going. They do a seriously good thick toast and marmalade :laugh:

I love winter riding as much as summer. Everything looks different, there's less people about. Sunrises, mist hanging over the water and in low areas, fresh air, and if I'm lucky some snow to play in.
Did 27 miles yesterday off road. New trails, mud and new faces. Was knackering but ace.

dickyknees

Guru
The Cyclechat monthly challenges have encouraged me to set myself targets in the darker months, and that's quite a big change.

My thoughts exactly.

Slick

Guru
Looks like im in the minority then.

Maybe some better cold weather gear would help
Cold weather gear can help, but the last time I wrapped up like a polar bear left me in a quandary as to where to pull in to strip off. Not really what you want to be doing in the street at 6am. Positive attitude is more important in my humble opinion.

This is my first ever cycling winter. Have to do some of it out of necessity due to current circumstances. The things I've learnt are as follows:

1) Fleece-lined tights are the best thing since sliced bread.
2) When the weather's nice, it's extremely enjoyable.
3) When the weather's pants, it's pure hell.
4) Temperature sinks like a stone when the sun goes down.
5) When I get back home, I always feel hellaciously virtuous. ^_^

Sharky

Guru
If you'd asked me three weeks ago, I would have said ride through the winter months. Just layer up and enjoy. Riding at night through dark country lanes is stimulating and something I miss now that I am not commuting.

But ..... 2nd Jan, took a fall on black ice and have been off the bike for the last three weeks and still hobbling round the house with the aid of crutches.
So next year I will be changing my plans and probably stick to the turbo on days when the temperature drops.

No flies. No sunscreen. Legs can be covered. Cyclocross.

Riding to work and back in the dark tho', fark that. But that's not a cycling problem, that's a work problem.

You just need a decent headlight. I sometimes cycle to work myself and will take the canal towpaths for about half the journey if its been dry enough (too muddy after rain). Very dark but also very quiet at 5:30 am.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Winter cycling is like driving a car with bold tyres, no heater and windows wide open. On a nice sunny day and temperature at least 7 degrees, it is ok but that doesn't happen very often. Roll on spring and longer days.

Top Bottom