Hate winter cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamangler

Veteran
Every year I intend to keep on riding through the winter. But I always end up taking weeks at a time off the bike.

Its just sooooo boring. Forcing yourself to go out in freezing/windy/rainy weather just for the sake of it. Not long after i set off i just want to get home into a nice warm bath.

Completely different to the summer when it's warm and a joy to ride.

Just a chore at the moment

Drago

Legendary Member
I prefer it. Less sweaty, more interesting, with less roadies and leisure cyclists wobbling all over the road. It's win-win.

Triple3

Enjoy it too, cool fresh air, up ere looks more spectacular in winter, no stinking sweat dripping in your eyes and much more rewarding getting out and riding in less favourable conditions and completing the ride. Mind over matter.

Slick

Guru
I agree, although tomorrow might separate the wheat from the chaff as there is a bit of frost forecast and in the area I'm travelling from seems to catch that particularly bad. I think I prefer it, not for any other reason than the challenge is greater. Sometimes it's a good personality trait and sometimes it is bad, but the more people tell me that something is just too tough, the more enjoyment I seem to get from it.

Alan O

Über Member
I don't ride as much in the winter - I mainly don't enjoy those damp windy days that we get so many of. But on a nice clear crisp day I love it - just wear an extra layer, a skull cap under my helmet, and it only takes 15 minutes to warm up.

AyJay

Über Member
I don't ride as much in the winter - I mainly don't enjoy those damp windy days that we get so many of. But on a nice clear crisp day I love it - just wear an extra layer, a skull cap under my helmet, and it only takes 15 minutes to warm up.

Yup, totally agree. ^_^

I love it. Crisp, chilly days with clear skies and quiet roads, works for me, especially round my way where the weekend warriors take over the roads ever Sunday when it's warmer.
Exactly. At this time of year, I don't have to put up with endless doughnuts, putting in suicide moves, and then going slower than I was going to, once the risk had subsided. Winter miles for summer smiles. I won't risk riding on sheet ice, or when there is laying snow, there's no point in having an unnecessary accident. But in my neck of the woods, those conditions are rare, maybe a couple of days from the winter months.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I used to ride all year round, but no more. As others have said, winter riding can be hugely enjoyable but I now use the excuse of age to go into wimp mode. I get plenty of walking excercise and that will do me till the spring.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom