Hate winter cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Normally love it but my first winter ride this year (been in New Zealand) I under dressed, it got colder, I got a p*** and had to change it in the freezing cold while shaking, cut my hand then the last 5 miles were a head wind and my tyre was going down again.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Swings & roundabouts. You trade off faffing with extra clothing, lights and spare batteries and worrying about freezing for faffing with sunblock and extra drinks and worrying about sunburn and dehydration.

Still possible to have brilliant or punishingly awful days in either season.

Johnno260

Veteran
I don't mind the cold, I layer up and quite enjoy it.

Only issue I have is the roads not being gritted enough I am quite rural so it's to be expected but going out in a car is risky enough so I haven't risked the bike much this past week, I managed a very small 14mile ride yesterday, it was better than nothing.

jay clock

Massive member
The word boring was used by the OP. I set up my own ride group (approx 2-8 of us at a time) and having a set time, and knowing people will be there makes it much easier to get out. Gives me people to chat to (or at) and invariably I enjoy it now. That and the right kit

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks like im in the minority then.

Maybe some better cold weather gear would help

You're not in the minority. There's a lot of others who feel the same.
Cold weather gear isn't going to help much if you find winter riding a chore anyway.
For me, the thought of riding a turbo indoors is all the motivation I need to get out on the bike. Mind numbingly dull imo, but not to others.
Swings and roundabouts as the saying goes.

RegG

Über Member
The crisp, cold, bright and dry days are great if you have the right clothing. I don't venture out though if there is any chance of icy roads as it just isn't worth risking a fall.....

vickster

Legendary Member
The roads are a slippery, gritty mess at the mo, ice notwithstanding. Friend of mine came off on gravel on one of the roundabouts in Richmond Park yesterday. Luckily slow speed. But she spoke to another woman who'd literally done the same thing minutes earlier

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I never quote understand this mtfu stuff.

I mean cycling is something I do for enjoyment. I don't see the point in suffering for the sake of it

You do know don't you, that people on fora (just like in real life) quite often make comments that are tongue in cheek, or in jest? I even helpfully added a "wink" smiley, plus a link to a comedy video in order to make it obvious that it was a joke!

mynydd

Veteran
Variety is one of the joys of cycling as far as I'm concerned. No two days are the same.
Dress appropriately, ride appropriately and enjoy it.
So so much better than driving a car imo...... whatever the weather

wormo

Guru
Done 3 sunday rides so far this year and it rained/sleeted on each occasion. Decided if didn't go out if rained would never go in this country.I won't go out the possibility if ice so will do a couple of hours on the turbo doing a sufferfest 'hill' training ride. Bought a proper winter fleeced top at xmas and was lovely and warm yesterday even though it was sleety/snowy in Macclesfield.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
You just need a decent headlight. I sometimes cycle to work myself and will take the canal towpaths for about half the journey if its been dry enough (too muddy after rain). Very dark but also very quiet at 5:30 am.

It’s not because I can’t see, it’s that it’s depressing! being light while I'm at work and dark outside of that time.

I’ve got a Hope Vision II and a B&M Cyo on a hub dynamo. I'm doin' OK.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I am reading this post in the comfort of a warm office, about to contemplate going it into the cold for my daily lunch ride. To start with my nose will run, then my toes will feel cold, then I will have to navigate around some ice. After half an hour I will be about 700 feet up a hill where it will be even colder but I wouldn't change this for the world. After just two and a bit weeks I am feeling quite fit already, my usual hills are a doddle. Bring it on (Spring).

mattobrien

Guru
On a day like it was here with bright sunshine and almost no wind, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to go out on a ride.

I was in Felixstowe on Sunday morning and it was a balmy -4c at 8am. This was warm as on the 10 mile drive to meet a friend in Felixstowe a run, it was -7.5c up until I reached the coast.

I was very much up for riding in all conditions until 2nd Jan, when without warning, I went over on unseen ice. Seeing as I have only just healed, I am a little less laissez faire about riding in cold conditions. Maybe I'll man up again soon, but hitting the ground and bouncing my head along the cold road has made me think twice about taking to the road when it is close to or below zero.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I am reading this post in the comfort of a warm office, about to contemplate going it into the cold for my daily lunch ride. To start with my nose will run, then my toes will feel cold, then I will have to navigate around some ice. After half an hour I will be about 700 feet up a hill where it will be even colder but I wouldn't change this for the world. After just two and a bit weeks I am feeling quite fit already, my usual hills are a doddle. Bring it on (Spring).

Still plenty of icy, slippery roads around. I'm not sure how much grip a Pheasant has, but I just missed one skidding across an icy road.

Top Bottom