Hats Off to KBUG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I was asked to attend an event yesterday. It was organised by Kirklees Bicycle User Group as a finale to a summer initiative to get kids on bikes and out of mischief.

The day started with a couple of groups setting off from some areas of Kirklees that has suffered in the past from various levels of deprivation, lack of engagement and so on. One group set off from Fartown in Huddersfield, including an Asian family, all of whom were fasting, but were nevertheless determined to join in. The day consisted of fun and games, a visit by the Mayor who rode stoker on a tandem with Martyn Bolt from CTC. (Check this week's Dewsbury Reporter for pics from Thursday onwards) with about fifty kids on all sorts of recycled bikes. Thirty or so of the recycled bikes were raffled off at the end of the day.

Talking to the organisers they were keen to stress that they had had three times that number of kids through the summer holidays, getting most of them through Bikeability L1 and some through L2, with some particularly challenging characters really buying into the scheme.

Finale for me was riding home with the Fartown group. Hats off to the kids and the families for effort, and especially hats off to the KBUG staff who patiently shepherded them (us?) safely back the four miles home (and demonstrated patience I doubt I could find for the hour or so it took us.!!)

Top Bottom