Have bikes sizes started to slide downwards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While looking for a bike / gear for my wife it’s pretty apparent that many cycle companies couldn’t care less about women under that height.

Ergo muggins rides junior bikes. :blush:

I absolutely love the bikes I have, but there are a lot of nice bikes out there that are just simply out of my reach because even the smallest frames are much too big.

And then there's the additional issue that some of the componentry fitted to junior bikes isn't the most suitable.

Shack

Sickbiker on youtube did an interesting film comparing different bikes which were supposedly the same size, but as others have stated you really need a myriad of measurements to get a handle on it, and nothing beats actually sitting and then tweaking it.
I've been watching a lot of stuff on bike fits recently and some if the ones I actually listen to say get a bike fit then the bike, not try to retro tweak your bike to suit you (stem length, layback posts diff crank lengths etc)

Binka

Über Member
Possibly but seeing as in current times I’d need to order without sitting on one I’m not taking the risk. Plus women generally have a shorter reach than a man of the same size so if I’m already and inch too small for the bike the reach could be too much of a stretch. I recently bought a Liv Avail xs even though I already had a Liv Avail S (I’m on the cusp between the sizes, I think on paper both should fit me) and it was worth the £1500.
I doubt one inch is going to make much difference one way or the other.

Binka

Über Member
Just have a shorter stem? Sure it’ll be ok. What’s the toptube length
haven’t looked into it that closely. My lbs didn’t want to put a shorter stem on my small liv avail as they said it would be quite twitchy. I’ve now bought an xs liv avail. But I’d have bought the Ribble if it had been smaller. As a short arse I do feel I’m a bit stuck with Liv bikes And struggle to find others to consider. Currently worse as nothing to see in person.

si_c

Guru
I have the opposite problem, where bike manufacturers think the population stops at 6'2" or a 33" inside leg. Lord only knows how @postman manages.

Yep, tell me about it. For clothing they assume you are short and spherical so jerseys have arms that finish far north of your wrists, and for bikes they don't even bother to try to size for you.

Plenty of bikes I'd consider buying which just wouldn't fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

And given that the average height for women is only 5ft4 or 5ft5 depending on your source, that’s an awful lot of women unable to buy that bike
Yes, and not sure its a smart move by brands marginalising a segment like this. Boardman too has the same issue.

Giants sizing is more close to the mainstream and pretty wide.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, and not sure its a smart move by brands marginalising a segment like this. Boardman too has the same issue.

Giants sizing is more close to the mainstream and pretty wide.
Giant also have a proper wide range of sizing for women however (Boardman too, Ribble don’t seem to nowadays)

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s a few years since I looked at Giant women’s bikes but I was disappointed at the range of choice - components etc - compared to the mens.
I think it’s better now, indeed the only brand I think with women’s gravel bikes for example. Plenty of happy owners in the Velovixen Facebook group

Top Bottom