Have I broken my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
A £200+ repair bill - I've never known one that big, and unless you have a very expensive machine or you want a new downtube put in and a respray, it's unlikely you'll ever get a bill like that!!! Any decent shop would consult you first before doing such major work anyway. If you have the ability, slowly build your own bike tool kit and start doing your own repairs - saves a fortune in the long term.

andygates

That's a common bill for a high-end transmission change. Of course, if you're paying a shop to do that for you, you've already got tons of cash and your time is more important than the soulgood feeling one gets from fettling. :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Change the hanger if needed - it's not steel - that can be bent back (carefully) ... Alu gets stressed and will fail....

Reminds me - either fit rear mech bash guard to son's bike or tell him not to put the bike down on the rear mech...... grass parking only - alloy frame with replaceable drop out !

bonj2

hubgearfreak said:
like this?;)
bahco.JPG

er... no, like this
park%20dag1.jpg

bonj2

Don't worry about the mech hanger snapping - it might do, but it will probably take another similar accident for it to do so, so then you can just replace it then. Just changing gear doesn't put it under anything like enough stress to break it.
LBS can bend it back, but only if it's not too bent.

Not too dear to replace, but has to be specific to the frame, so probably need to buy from the frame manufacturer, can't just pick up a generic one.

Dave5N

Über Member
Twenty Inch said:
Sorry, that's not true. There are other posts on here about people thinking just that after similar accidents with aluminium bikes, only for the hanger to fail later. One chap lost a wheel when the hanger broke and the derailleur took out his spokes. Another had a nasty fall.

The hangers are sacrificial and are designed to be replaced after this sort of accident. It's worth doing - do you want it snapping when you're overtaking that bus?

Nope, if it is just out of alignment and the indexing is only minorly affected, as per the OP, I'm confident my advice is ok. At least, that's what I have always done.

But then I'm not in the trade and don't have an interest in more expensive solutions.

Dave5N said:
Nope, if it is just out of alignment and the indexing is only minorly affected, as per the OP, I'm confident my advice is ok. At least, that's what I have always done.

But then I'm not in the trade and don't have an interest in more expensive solutions.

Nor am I but I do have an interest in cyclists' safety.

The OP states that it's working fine on the workstand, it hasn't been roadtested yet. I don't think that it's worth risking one's well-being for the sake of a part that is designed to be replaced after just this sort of accident. Absolutely not. Personally, I wouldn't entertain getting back on that bike until I'd replaced the hanger. Other people will of course have different measures of personal risk.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
I'm still alive. Even though everything is working okay, I'm going to get it checked out by the LBS next month. Can't take it this month as I'm stuck at work 24/7 (very nearly literally - most days I don't get home till about 6-7pm and I'm having to work both Sat & Sun until the FDA have been. The barstewards are even trying to insist that we have to come in over the Easter holidays).

Odyssey

hubgearfreak said:

That's what I used on mine. I don't have a replaceable hanger. The derailer got pulled into the spokes and bent the hanger approx 90 degrees. Bought a new derailer, straightened the hanger with an adjustable spanner and I've done at least 1000 miles since then. It's been fine.

Eek! Straightening out a 90degree bend in aluminium hanger... whilst I appreciate there's no other easy solution that's pretty brave. If you're not already, I'd keep a very close eye on it. Same goes for the OP.

S

Odyssey

To be honest, it's probably the safest bike I've ever owned. I've rode on and off and never had the money or the need for anything flash, so I've always had old heaps of junk and hand-downs (which is exactly what this is courtesy of a broken hanger). It's an MTB and I've had it through plenty a forest around the north east, at speed. It's been thoroughly tested.

It's interesting though, being new to these forums, it's all subjective. You see it as dangerous compared to what you're used to, but I see it as safe compared to what I'm used to. With a little bit of common sense you can judge how much pressure that metal is going to take and you can form your own risk assessment. It may not be 100% accurate and you know there's an element of danger but it's what I've been doing since I was about 7 years old. When I do have the money I'll happily buy myself a new bike, but until then I don't have that priveledge of choice in the matter.

Top Bottom