Have I broken my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I fell off my bike today. Just as I was going down towards the house, I uncliped one foot and just as I was about to unclip my other foot, whilst still moving I kind of fell sideways and landed in a heap on the floor (I'm sure it was probably quite amusing to watch). I must have given the bike quite a knock - I twisted my ankle, scraped my knee, scuffed my saddle and somehow banged the rear mech. I didn't notice the rear mech was damaged until I decided to clean my chain later on. The bottom jockey wheel was catching on the spokes when in the lowest gears. I think I must have bent it inwards. I have pulled it out now and tried my best to straigten it. It goes through all the gears ok now on my makeshift workstand. I haven't been out for a road test yet as my ankle still hurts and I can't be bothered dragging the bike out.

Should I be worried?

domtyler

Über Member
Sounds like a classic clipless moment!!

Hope the bikes okay.

Dave5N

Über Member
You might have bent the gear hanger - the bit the rear mech. attaches to. Bend it back gently by eye as you have done, or a good shop will have an alignment tool.

If the bike rides ok it will be ok - but do check it over carefully first for bdamage - cracks, flaked paint etc. Sounds like you'll be ok though.

If it's a steel frame your LBS will have a special tool for straightening the hanger up. If it's aluminium, you'll need a new hanger. Worth getting the LBS to check it over.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Mmmm, it's an aluminium frame. Is it the type of thing that would cost a few quid to fix? I'd loathe to pay more for repairs than the bike is worth.

stevenb

if it's just your gear hanger that needs replacing it'll be anywhere from a few quid up to about £15 I suppose.
they are designed to be replaceable because incidents like yours do happen.

As Dave says though...if it rides ok and goes through all the gears you'll be fine....just check the frame for damage...if there is none to be seen your all ok. :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
Plax said:
Mmmm, it's an aluminium frame. Is it the type of thing that would cost a few quid to fix? I'd loathe to pay more for repairs than the bike is worth.

A flawed concept there. Being a regular cyclist, you need to think more in terms of TCO, i.e. Total Cost of Ownership. Initial purchase price (IPP) then becomes just one element in the calculation. IPP will not have much effect on a lot of ongoing maintenance costs like new tyres, brake blocks, new rear mech. hangers, etc.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
domtyler said:
A flawed concept there. Being a regular cyclist, you need to think more in terms of TCO, i.e. Total Cost of Ownership. Initial purchase price (IPP) then becomes just one element in the calculation. IPP will not have much effect on a lot of ongoing maintenance costs like new tyres, brake blocks, new rear mech. hangers, etc.

Very true, although it isn't a very high spec bike. I don't mind paying more than the bike over a number of years for example, but would have a heart attack if presented with a repair bill for £200+ pounds if something major happened.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Cycled into work today for the first time since my "accident". Everything seems to be in order. Nothing is noticably damaged, and the gears seem to work okay. So fingers crossed it stays like this!

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Twenty Inch said:
If it's a steel frame your LBS will have a special tool for straightening the hanger up.

like this?:biggrin:
bahco.JPG

stevenb said:
As Dave says though...if it rides ok and goes through all the gears you'll be fine....just check the frame for damage...if there is none to be seen your all ok. :sad:

Sorry, that's not true. There are other posts on here about people thinking just that after similar accidents with aluminium bikes, only for the hanger to fail later. One chap lost a wheel when the hanger broke and the derailleur took out his spokes. Another had a nasty fall.

The hangers are sacrificial and are designed to be replaced after this sort of accident. It's worth doing - do you want it snapping when you're overtaking that bus?

Top Bottom