Have I done the Right Thing!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
IanT

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
You sit much more upright on a mountain bike and quite tucked up on a road bike, it's like swapping between a honda gold wing motorbike and a Ducatti super moto.

Actually, that's quite a good analogy. I recall (a few years back now) when my mate let me take his newly acquired Ducatti 916 for a spin. Jumped straight off my trusty old GPX750r and could not believe how far down and forward the bars were - felt like I was holding the front spindle!!!

Cheers.

I've not had a mtb since I was a kid (although it still in the shed and from time to time still gets ridden) but a 58cm road bike doesn't sound far off to me. My bike fits suggested a 56cm frame for me (I'm 5foot 9&1/4 inch) but the stock bikes I've got are smaller than that (54 & 55cm) because the next size up was 57cm and for me that's too big. IMO you are better with a bike thats slightly too small which you can adjust to fit, a bike that too big won't be as easily adjusted and it might not be possible. I had a slightly too big town bike before and it gave me knee problems and I couldn't adjust it any more. Besides a bike that is slightly too small I think feels more agile/ responsive :thumbsup:

Nebulous

Guru
I'm 5 ft 9 3/4 - interesting how those quarters always seem important! Although my inside leg is fairly short at 30.5 inches. The lbs tried to sell me a 52 frame, but I wasn't convinced it felt right and landed up buying a nearly new 54 privately. I made my own mind up, took the risk myself, but absolutely love it.

I've also got a Vulcan - quite an old one in silver - bought it new about 7 years ago, though it probably only did about 250 miles a year until last year. I came to cycling through weight loss as well , having lost 5 stone in 14 months. I went on holiday in October last year with the mtb, landed up using it a lot and went home and bought a road bike.

I use the roadbike mainly at weekends and commute (only 2 miles each way) on the Vulcan.

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

Thanks for all of the replies.

Consensus of opinion does seem to bear out that a 58 inch frame is right for me - and, indeed, I would agree with that.

I do wonder if a lot of my concern is driven by this compact frame geometry malarkey (where a frame that measures 51 cm BB to top tube is, in fact, equivalent to a 58 cm).

A lot of my assessment has been done static in the garage - so I think I just need to get out and ride the thing, rather than simply sitting on it, thinking, "strewth, with my leg at the top of the pedal stroke and my hands on the drops, my knee touches my forearm". In fact, when I see pictures of riders on road bikes in magazines - that actually looks like a norm.

I do think there's a lot of truth in the observation that it's easier to make a smaller bike fit than one that's too large to start off with and, I suppose if comfort does become an issue, I can always try a longer stem / adjustable stem etc.

Really appreciate all the advice given so far.

Cheers,

Ian.

Jezston

Über Member
22" is a 56cm. I'm 6' with short 32" legs and 56 is my size.

I would strongly argue that Halfords have sold you the wrong size. You can compensate for this with saddle position and a longer stem, but if it were me I'd be asking for an exchange.

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
I'm about the same size as you, and I've got a 58cm frame. Similarly, I only recently got into road cycling after being a mountain biker most of my life. I did wonder about the frame size, but it was far more psychological than anything else. After riding a bike with straight bars for so long, it felt like my knees were way too far into the cockpit at first... Stick with it, I should think, it's just getting used to the new position!

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
being 6'2" tall isn't enough to justify the frame of a bike, its your inseam that counts.
for instance, i'm also 6'2" but my inseam is 34" (wish my waist was :whistle:) so when i got my hybrid i got the 23" frame, this is perfectly sized for me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
being 6'2" tall isn't enough to justify the frame of a bike, its your inseam that counts.
for instance, i'm also 6'2" but my inseam is 34" (wish my waist was :whistle:) so when i got my hybrid i got the 23" frame, this is perfectly sized for me.
I'd rather choose my frame size to suit my reach and adjust the saddle height to suit my legs. If your frame is too big so you feel way too stretched out, you can't shorten it! Okay, you could perhaps put a stupidly short stem on, but I'd rather have a top tube length that suited me.

lulubel

Über Member
A lot of my assessment has been done static in the garage - so I think I just need to get out and ride the thing, rather than simply sitting on it, thinking, "strewth, with my leg at the top of the pedal stroke and my hands on the drops, my knee touches my forearm".

When I'm on the drops on my road bike, my knees come up inside my forearms at the top of each pedal stroke.

I've recently started riding my MTB, and I have the opposite feeling to you - the MTB feels small. I think it's because I don't have the same stretched out feeling to the bars (and consequently I'm sat far more upright). I'm gradually getting used to it.

And you're right. You just need to ride it and see how it feels. If I make a change to my setup - even a small one - I generally give it 100 miles or so before I decide whether to stick with it or not, unless it's really bad and causing me pain in the first few miles, of course.

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

When I'm on the drops on my road bike, my knees come up inside my forearms at the top of each pedal stroke.

I've recently started riding my MTB, and I have the opposite feeling to you - the MTB feels small. I think it's because I don't have the same stretched out feeling to the bars (and consequently I'm sat far more upright). I'm gradually getting used to it.

And you're right. You just need to ride it and see how it feels. If I make a change to my setup - even a small one - I generally give it 100 miles or so before I decide whether to stick with it or not, unless it's really bad and causing me pain in the first few miles, of course.

Thanks lulubel - that does indeed make a lot of sense.

Best regards,

Ian.

Rob500

I do wonder if a lot of my concern is driven by this compact frame geometry malarkey (where a frame that measures 51 cm BB to top tube is, in fact, equivalent to a 58 cm).

Hi Ian. I'm learning this as I go along. I think you need to adjust the way you are measuring with compact frames. Don't stop at the top tube. Measure up to a point on the seat tube directly opposite the high point of the TT.

Attachments

• tdf images.jpg
    tdf images.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
IanT

IanT

Hi Ian. I'm learning this as I go along. I think you need to adjust the way you are measuring with compact frames. Don't stop at the top tube. Measure up to a point on the seat tube directly opposite the high point of the TT.

That makes a lot of sense - thanks very much Rob500. A picture really is worth a thousand words.

Having not had a chance to properly get out on it yet, I just went and had another sit on it. Think I'm just being a bit paranoid (given that the wife gave me one of 'those' looks when I ordered it).

Still think I may end up with a slightly longer stem - or an adjustable one. I do like to put in the miles, so comfort is a big factor.

I'm out for my regular 30 miler on the Vulcan tomorrow morning but, assuming the temperature is under 35 degrees, come lunchtime, I'm planning a little 10 miler - just to get a feel.

Hopefully, this time tomorrow, I'll be all smiles and feeling like a wombat for asking the question.

Really do appreciate the advice from you and all those who have responded.

Cheers,

Ian.

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
Don't forget, bike setup is everything, so you might have the right frame size, but wrong stem, saddle, positioning, etc.

I would check this with someone who really understands it. Contact a local road cycling club, it won't be a waste of time.

Well Done Sir. I lost 13K recently, it makes a huge difference to everything.

Bon Chance,

LA.

Top Bottom